Chaps Charcoal Pit Beef - a Baltimore-Based Sandwich Shop, Undergoing Expansion, and Opening Franchises in Frederick and Rockville

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:28 AM, DonRocks said:

The Frederick location looks like it'll be on Route 85 between I-270 and the Flying Dog Brewery. It's just south of the shopping center with the 16 screen Regal Cinema. 

Rockville in spring? I wonder where. 

NOTE: The original thread, with great photos, is in the Baltimore Forum.

20151015-Westview-South-Aerial-Map.jpg

49 minutes ago, Pat said:

Chaps received honorable mention in this review of pit beef establishments in the Post's Going Out Guide.

I can never read the Post - who are the others? 

Pit Beef - Baltimore's Very Own Barbecue

Chaps Charcoal Pit Beef

Pioneer Pit Beef <--- This is the only place I've tried that's better than The Canopy.

The Canopy Pit Beef

All in Maryland.

Baker's Pit Beef and Tavern (Baltimore)

Bird's Nest BBQ (Bel Air)

Charcoal Style (White Marsh)

Char'd BBQ (Upperco)

Expressway Pit Beef (Odenton)

Jake's Grill  (Cockeysville)

Pioneer Pit Beef (Catonsville)

Pit Boys (Annapolis)

Shore BBQ Company (Easton)

Smoky's BBQ (Eldersburg)

Taylor's BBQ (Salisbury)

Honorable Mention: The Blues BBQ Company (Frederick); the Canopy (Ellicott City); Chaps ( Baltimore); Smokin’ Joes Grill (Dundalk).

9 minutes ago, MarkS said:

Dietle's was nasty.  You could scrape tobacco smoke off the walls and tables.

Yes, but it was popular enough to keep going all these years. Had it not been for the fire, would have stuck around many more. I'm just saying that if there's enough business to keep Dietle's going, I'm sure Rockville could support a Chaps.

1 hour ago, MarkS said:

Dietle's was nasty.  You could scrape tobacco smoke off the walls and tables.

I came of drinking age at a time when you could smoke in bars, so the sight of tobacco stains and the scent of cigarettes take me back to the fun times of my early years.

I live near Dietle's and went there every now and then.  It was seedy but the people were friendly (esp. Friday afternoons when it was like "Cheers"), and the beer was cold and cheap.

Rockville could support a Chaps.  Taking one of their sandwiches to eat at one of the local breweries or even, possibly, a resurrected Dietle's (https://bethesdamagazine.com/bethesda-beat/business/new-movement-to-revive-hank-dietles-arises-from-ashes/ ) would be a great weekend afternoon.