On 5/26/2018 at 9:58 AM, hm212 said:

Hope it is better tonight than the reviews on here.  Going tonight pre Theatre (have 8pm show tickets at the National Theatre)

Hoping for you as well, but I can't think of any reason why it would be. But this prompts a good question: what are your best bets in that little corridor for a pre-theater (or pre-event) bite? I don't go to National Theatre often, but I do end up at JW Marriott for receptions and Warner Theatre is right there too - what are one's options? Occidental? Central?

I'll quibble with @The Hersch's suggestion. Not the "Jaleo, with spectacular food" part, but it's just too far for this purpose - strictly speaking that's a full mile roundtrip. Am I being too precious? Maybe. But consider given the occassion(s), I'd be wearing a suit or at least a jacket, my companion likely in heels and a dress. And the sticky weather months are already upon us. Assuming we'd want to park once (and NOT drive to the theater + cab two ways), 0.3 mi. is probably the maximum walking radius.

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, saxdrop said:

Hoping for you as well, but I can't think of any reason why it would be. But this prompts a good question: what are your best bets in that little corridor for a pre-theater (or pre-event) bite? I don't go to National Theatre often, but I do end up at JW Marriott for receptions and Warner Theatre is right there too - what are one's options? Occidental? Central?

Central has a decent Happy Hour menu and also a pre/post theatre prix-fixe menu and is an easy walk from the theaters.  We were at the Warner last week and ate at the bar at Oyamel beforehand.  I'd say anything in Penn Quarter is walk-able.  I believe The Hamilton has a half-price sushi/sashimi happy hour special between 3pm and 6pm.  Not sure if it is available on weekends.

• Like 2

We had dinner at Maison Kayser before “Waitress” recently. Nothing on the bistro menu is earth-shatteringly creative but the execution was as satisfying as it was comforting. We ordered the salade nicoise and boeuf bourguignon, which together were quite filling for two and barely left enough room for desserts. Final bill was not exactly cheap but nowhere near expensive. Only caveat is that they don’t serve alcohol, which was fine with us.

And the location is hard to beat...right around the corner from your show.

On 5/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, dcs said:

Central has a decent Happy Hour menu and also a pre/post theatre prix-fixe menu and is an easy walk from the theaters.  We were at the Warner last week and ate at the bar at Oyamel beforehand.  I'd say anything in Penn Quarter is walk-able.  I believe The Hamilton has a half-price sushi/sashimi happy hour special between 3pm and 6pm.  Not sure if it is available on weekends.

I am very pleased most every time I eat at Central and Oyamel. Also, I"m a little embarrassed to admit this, but I am often invited to Hamilton for lunch and really like it. I think it's too big and the menu too eclectic to be honestly good, but then again, I can't think of a disappointing lunch. It's vastly huge so am pretty sure you can always get a seat. 

On 5/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, dcs said:

The Hamilton has become the best of the Clyde's Group restaurants. The entire restaurant group offers that half-price happy hour raw bar, which is one of our areas really great deals. The Hamilton leads its happy hour deal with with sushi. If Clyde's gets anything right, it's happy hour. (Off topic for this thread, but the music venue is quite nice.)

I have had very pleasant pre-theater experiences at Mastro's Steakhouse and the The Oceanaire, both of which offer good fare with generous drinks. I don't often tout national chains, but these are small national chains with carefully selected locations, and very much on the upscale side of the market. They are also less than two blocks from the National Theater.

Thumbs down to Del Frisco's....if you're looking for beef, go to Mastro's.

Afterwards? Shelly's Back Room is open until 2:00am on weekdays and 3:00am on weekends, if you want cigar-friendly drinks.