Pomegranates

naxos

saw some on Sunday at Giant in Annandale.  My store has moved them over to a smaller  tropical fruits section that has the less sought-after fruits (near the bananas and salad bar), so maybe that's why you aren't spotting any where you typically shop

12 hours ago, naxos said:

Thank you for your replies. I guess I missed them last Thursday at WF in Arlington, TJ Baileys and Giant

Baileys!

and thank you for the NPR link ;)

[This is partially my fault - I had moved this thread into the Farmers Markets Forum, before deciding it was better just to leave it in Shopping and Cooking - my apologies.]

It *would* be nice to know where to find Pomegranates at Farmers Markets, but I don't think that was asked for here. 

Cheers,
Rocks

I haven't seen them at Falls Church ever.  I do have a friend near Atlanta who has a tree and is able to get about a dozen or so a year, but I don't think climate change will support them up here yet.  Give it a decade or so and plant one.

• Like 1

In DC, they freeze back to the ground every few years, and don't have the long hot sunny fall to properly ripen fruits.  I did get a few on my community garden trees on their third year. Climate change in the short run means weaker jet stream and more polar vortices wandering down to mid latitudes, definitely not supportive of zone pushing fruit trees.  

• Like 1

Astrid— I remember your posts about the cuttings a ways back, and I’ve always wondered how that turned out. So alas it sounds like you  aren’t sure that any of the varieties you got will reliably fruit here? If  so that’s a bummer. I’ve been daydreaming about one day having my very own fruiting pom. 

On 9/21/2018 at 4:17 PM, sandynva said:

Astrid— I remember your posts about the cuttings a ways back, and I’ve always wondered how that turned out. So alas it sounds like you  aren’t sure that any of the varieties you got will reliably fruit here? If  so that’s a bummer. I’ve been daydreaming about one day having my very own fruiting pom. 

I am not Astrid, but...

We have a potted pomegranate tree. It comes inside in the winter. It fruits, but the fruits are very small. Some have ripened, but as I said, very small so far. The biggest ones have been golf ball sized.

There are a number on the tree right now, but squirrels have been taking them before they ripen. They take 2 bites, and then leave them on the ground. Stupid squirrels.

5 hours ago, sandynva said:

Good to know that at least some of the trees will fruit here. the sorry to hear about your squirrels. I have a similar problem with my tomatoes and they are indeed a horrible pest 

Tomatoes, lemon cucumbers, and sunflowers. Stupid squirrels.

+1 is fond of them, so we usually go through 20 to 30 of them each fall.  I open them by scoring the peel and then breaking them open, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.  You can freeze the extra seeds and then add them to decorate salads and other food items.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On TV shows I see people cut the pomegranates in half, and whack them with a wooden spoon, and the seeds come tumbling out. Has anyone had this work for them at home? I’ve tried multiple times at home and it’s never worked for me. I get a few kernels but far from the majority   and wonder if there’s something I could do differently to make it work  

Are usually end up taking the seeds out in a bowl of water, which reduces the juice splatter and helps keep the seeds free of that bitter white pith. I feel like it reduces the sweetness of the seeds slightly, but think it’s worth it to save the mess generally.