Piccolina (da Centrolina) - Amy Brandwein's All-Day Cafe in City Center

1 hour ago, KeithA said:

Great article from Tim Carman of the Post on his 10 favorite DC metro pizza: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/food/best-pizza-dc/

58 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

This is a really nice overview of the DC pizza scene right now.

And yet.

I can't remember the last time I took a bite of pizza, and said, "Wow!" I'm accessing my memory banks right now, and I honestly cannot remember.

After writing the previous sentence, I turned to DIShGo, and said, "When's the last time we had a truly great pizza?" <silence> "I mean one where the first bite makes you go, 'Wow!'?" <"Hmm"... <silence> "I don't know." <silence> "I ... can't recall.">

I take it back. Earlier this month, I had lunch at Piccolina, and ordered a Lamb Sausage Scaccia ($13) with Caciocavallo and Rapini. Not only did I say "Wow!" after the first bite, I said "Wow!" when they placed it down in front of me - it was *fantastic*. The only problem is that you need a minimum of two people for this, because #1 on your priority list should be the single-best thing I've had in DC in ... months? Beet-Cured Gravlax and Egg Salad ($12), yes, I said that, and you can thank me after you get them both.

(In full disclosure, we went back the next day, and had two other items which were merely "very good" (Egg and Cheese on Brioche ($8)) and "really good" (Rolled Ham and Fontina Crepe ($7))) - go for those first two things I mentioned, trust me.

Scaccia1.jpgScaccia2.jpg

Gravlax.jpg

Beverages.jpgBrioche.jpgCrepe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DonRocks said:

because #1 on your priority list should be the single-best thing I've had in DC in ... months? Beet-Cured Gravlax and Egg Salad ($12), yes, I said that, and you can thank me after you get them both.

The beet-cured gravlax is hands-down the best thing I have eaten in 2020. That picture makes me want to go back tomorrow.

On 1/30/2020 at 1:57 PM, DonRocks said:

I take it back. Earlier this month, I had lunch at Piccolina, and ordered a Lamb Sausage Scaccia ($13) with Caciocavallo and Rapini. Not only did I say "Wow!" after the first bite, I said "Wow!" when they placed it down in front of me - it was *fantastic*. The only problem is that you need a minimum of two people for this, because #1 on your priority list should be the single-best thing I've had in DC in ... months? Beet-Cured Gravlax and Egg Salad ($12), yes, I said that, and you can thank me after you get them both.

Scaccia1.jpgScaccia2.jpg

Gravlax.jpg

I am pleased to announce that Piccolina changed their menu yesterday, and both the Beet-Cured Gravlax and Egg Salad (breakfast and lunch) and Lamb Sausage Scaccia (dinner) are back on the menu.

Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 10.50.26.pngScreenshot 2020-07-30 at 10.50.36.pngScreenshot 2020-07-30 at 10.50.43.pngScreenshot 2020-07-30 at 10.50.54.pngScreenshot 2020-07-30 at 10.51.01.pngScreenshot 2020-07-30 at 10.51.09.png

Had brunch at Piccolina before hitting the Holiday Market.  We tried the Lamb Sausage Scaccia, the Porchetta Panuzzo, and the Diavola.  The lamb sausage combined well with the rapini, and the roast pork combined well with mustard greens and salsa verde.  Too bad the kids don't like bitter greens, so I got plenty of delicious leftovers.  The kids had more luck with the pizza.  We sat outside - very comfortable even when the temp is in the low 50s.  

We swung by Piccolina on a Sunday afternoon for a midafternoon respite.

We enjoyed the focaccia, which was baked with a scattering of shaved summer vegetables.  The wood grilled salsiccia (a coil of lamb and pork sausage) with salsa verde was excellent.  And the almond olive oil cake was pleasant.  All washed down with a tasty campari spritz.  

Piccolina is well worth a stop-in if you are downtown. 

• Like 3