deangold

Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker

Finally put a new toy to the test: 

Cuisinart Ice-21

This ia a feeze the bowl style maker and takes 20 minutes to make a quart and a cup or so of ice cream. Ours got a huge amount of overruna nd given the custard technique I used, it seems to spec up to our gelato from the Taylor 104 Batch Freezer from the old days.  

The gelato comes out a little soft but delicious. You could easily sit and eat a bowl right from the machine. We packed ours off to the freezer to harden a little. I use a vanilla bean and Old Granddad instead of vanilla extract. 

Next up will be matcha and chocolate. I am going to add the matcha to the custard just before adding it to the bowl. My chocolate will use an extra egg yolk {6 instead of 5} and cocoa powder. Pistachio and Nutella in the queue after. 

2 batches cost about $11 or $12 before the flavoring, and gives you more than 2 pints. WIth Haagen Daaz and Talenti over $5 this will pay off in no time. Of course letting out our pants' waistbands may offset some of the savings.

• Like 2

I have dialed this machine in. I follow the basic recipe: 5 egg yolks, 2 cups milk, 2 cups heavy cream, 1 vanilla bean, pinch salt, 1-1/2 tsp vanilla.

If I want an ice cream texture, I beat the eggs w/sugar on 3 or 4 on my stand mixer {I have an old mixmaster I scored for $10 on Craig's list}and when tempering the eggs I beat the hot cream/milk mix into the beaten eggs, again on a higher speed but just how high depends on the machine as if I go too fast, I wnd up wearing the ice cream mix. Then I cook the egg/dairy mix and add in my flavorings as the mix cools.

For a more gelato~like product, I use 6 yolks and do all the mixing on speed 1 and stop it and scrape down a lot so I incorporate as little air in the mix as possible. Otherwise it is the same.

I make a batch or two of gelato base, flavor and strain them then refrigerate overnight. I can spin them as desired. Since I only have one freezer bowl, I make 1-1/2 quarts a day {one batch}

Right now, we have Perisian saffron and a batch of Bronte pistachio. 

Some of my next ideas are balsamico, and a Persian pomegranate molases & walnut {fessenjan gelato!} We have made green tea which just involved mixing in matcha powder, ginger {with chopped TJ's candied ginger} and vanilla. 

• Like 4

What do you do with all the extra egg whites?

3 hours ago, weezy said:

I like to make ice cream. I have a lot of extra egg whites. I freeze them in an ice cube tray. They last a long time and thaw fairly quickly.

If you like Ramos Gin Fizzes..

Swiss meringue buttercream. Meringues. Angel food cake (I prefer chocolate). Pavlova.  Macarons. 

Here, useful roundups of recipes to use egg whites from 

David Lebovitz

The Washington Post

• Like 2

5 hours ago, weezy said:

Olive oil fried egg whites for breakfast. Better than Kay's scrambles egg whites. 

Are egg whites good for cats? We are going to get one shortly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saf said:

I like to make ice cream. I have a lot of extra egg whites. I freeze them in an ice cube tray. They last a long time and thaw fairly quickly.

If you like Ramos Gin Fizzes..

Swiss meringue buttercream. Meringues. Angel food cake (I prefer chocolate). Pavlova.  Macarons. 

Here, useful roundups of recipes to use egg whites from 

David Lebovitz

The Washington Post

We NEED more ice cream than we can eat Macaroons. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 10:52 PM, deangold said:

We NEED more ice cream than we can eat Macaroons. 

Make vacherins to serve the ice cream in? I use the recipe in Jacques Pepin's techniques book, and make them the right size to serve one scoop of ice cream.

23 minutes ago, saf said:

Make vacherins to serve the ice cream in? I use the recipe in Jacques Pepin's techniques book, and make them the right size to serve one scoop of ice cream.

Not into any meurrange type items. Olive oil fried whites do well enough for me and the occasional batch of granola.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:50 PM, deangold said:

Olive oil fried egg whites for breakfast. Better than Kay's scrambles egg whites. 

Are egg whites good for cats? We are going to get one shortly. 

Cats can eat eggs, they are protein which is 99% of what a cat should be eating anyway. But make sure your cat isn't allergic, just a little at first. I'd cook them first. 

OK - Don't feed the cat carbs, it causes diabetes. Instinct is a great nearly all protein food. 

Also, get a copy of Jackson Galaxy's "Total Cat Mojo". 

We've used this recipe twice with our Cuisinart: https://www.thespruceeats.com/avocado-ice-cream-3957025

The first time, we stuck to the recipe exactly, the 2nd time, we had a lot of extra fruit so we tossed a banana and mango in with the avocados and towards the end of the freezing, stirred in some chopped grapes.

I liked the texture better of the 2nd batch as it was firmer, but the banana flavor was too over powering for me.  My husband happily devoured all of it.

Just completed our best batch so far: started from the Mexican Chocolate recipe. We had a container of heavy cream that was past its best buy date and a little soured, but not really off. We decided to use that as it had a creme fraiche edge to it. I bet we could recreate it by leaving cream out overnight.

I used Valrhona Manjari 64% chocolate and bourbon instead of vanilla {generous 2 Tablespoons.} But the real difference was the spicing. I ground aleppo pepper, black peppercorns, all spice & cinnamon all in roughly equal proportions and small amounts of cloves and black cumin. I used about 2 teaspoons of this spice blend and it worked beautifully/ This is the kind of spice mix we used at the Grotto for Boar sauce to creme au chocolat. Last, I used more chocolate and trader joes toasted coconut as mix ins with 5 minutes left in the spin. My question is if the coconut will stay nice and crispy. All I can say is this batch was superbly fun to lick off the blades and side of the freezer bowl!

14 hours ago, deangold said:

Just completed our best batch so far: started from the Mexican Chocolate recipe. We had a container of heavy cream that was past its best buy date and a little soured, but not really off. We decided to use that as it had a creme fraiche edge to it. I bet we could recreate it by leaving cream out overnight.

I used Valrhona Manjari 64% chocolate and bourbon instead of vanilla {generous 2 Tablespoons.} But the real difference was the spicing. I ground aleppo pepper, black peppercorns, all spice & cinnamon all in roughly equal proportions and small amounts of cloves and black cumin. I used about 2 teaspoons of this spice blend and it worked beautifully/ This is the kind of spice mix we used at the Grotto for Boar sauce to creme au chocolat. Last, I used more chocolate and trader joes toasted coconut as mix ins with 5 minutes left in the spin. My question is if the coconut will stay nice and crispy. All I can say is this batch was superbly fun to lick off the blades and side of the freezer bowl!

If the coconut doesn’t stay nice and crispy, a suggestion for next time... enrobe the coconut in chocolate or cocoa butter. The chocolate coating will prevent moisture from getting to the coconut and softening it. Sounds like a tasty batch of ice cream.

So far we have just licked the blades and the sides of the freezer bowl. First try tonight. 

The best accessory for the maker is our Sumo gelato storage containers. They fit one batch perfectly and the double walled plastic construction make any temperature changes slowly keeping the gelato ice crystal free. The 1.5 is currently sold out on Amazon but there is this if you have a larger sized maker.

Sumo

• Like 1

The verdict on the coconut is in. The flavor of the gelato is just too intense to actually taste the coconut. So the work of enrobing the coconut would only add texture and I don't see a flavor boost. The gelato is SOOOOOOO good on the other hand. Next up is coffee where I steep French Press grind coffee as I scald the milk and cool it down for the egg addition. 

• Thanks 1

We recently did coconut chocolate chip - using the Ben & Jerry's ice cream cookbook's sweet cream #1 base, then added 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and a handful of shredded sweetened coconut. Let that all chill in fridge for a while and then ran through the Cuisinart ice cream maker. Added another 2 handfuls of coconut along with a bunch of 55% mini chocolate chips in the last 5 minutes of the churn.  It was pretty good but next time I would add all the coconut at the end to avoid clumbs of it in some bites and use semi-sweet chips as the dark chocolate was too bitter. Still had good coconut flavor. Most recipes in the B&J book and elsewhere call for adding coconut cream, not shredded coconut so may try that next time but we kind of liked the shredded coconut.

• Like 1

We did not try any shredded coconut so maybe in a future batch. I use Valrhona 64% Manjari as I seemed to inherit a full bag when we moved here. 

Made strawberry tequila sorbet. The texture is quite soft. I love it, Kay thinks it will melt too fast. She needs to eat faster! Spot would be willing to teach her. 

Used about a quart of grotto made strawberry syrup, 1-1/2 cups tequila, 1 cup water, black pepper, aleppo pepper. I let the syrup infuse for a couple of hours. I\d say sorbetti are still a work in progress. 

• Like 1

3.5 x Vanilla

Liquid vanilla is measured in folds. 2x or double fold has twice the vanilla flavor and contributes a little less liquid. We have a really good beanilla 2x which I doubles in the recipe, so as far as liquid vanilla is concerned, this s a 4x vanilla. I used 3 beans instead of 1 for a 3x vanilla expression. Averaging things out, it was a 3.5x vanilla expression. 2 oz of dry spiced rum from cotton & reed added a nice spice undertone. 

CSA provided a lot of strawberries so time for strawberry ice cream. Cut up berries, macerated in sugar with a bit of lemon juice, then after refrigerating for more than an hour, pureed them and poured into the sweet cream base. Turned out very creamy with nice strawberry flavor.

We usually use the #1 Ben & Jerry's ice cream cookbook sweet cream base which calls for two eggs, which makes a nice custard for 1+ quart of ice cream. What are your thoughts on eggs - none, less, more?

I am channeling a Modena style, high egg yolk style of gelato. For 1.5 quarts of base, give or take a little, I use 5 or 6 yolks. I first scald the milk, with sugar, spices, vanilla bean{s} etc to 180 or 910 degrees. While the milk is heating, I use my ancient sunbeam mixmaster to beat the egg yolks and sugar n the lowest spead until the mix is white, very creamy and thick. Then I belend in some hot milk to temper and lastly go back into the milk mix with the tempered eggs. This gets reheated to 180-190 degrees and then strained into a container for over night chilling. Then, the next day, I spin it. 

Are you using whole egg? And do you cook the custard after the egg addition? 

On 5/26/2020 at 1:22 PM, deangold said:

I am channeling a Modena style, high egg yolk style of gelato. For 1.5 quarts of base, give or take a little, I use 5 or 6 yolks. I first scald the milk, with sugar, spices, vanilla bean{s} etc to 180 or 910 degrees. While the milk is heating, I use my ancient sunbeam mixmaster to beat the egg yolks and sugar n the lowest spead until the mix is white, very creamy and thick. Then I belend in some hot milk to temper and lastly go back into the milk mix with the tempered eggs. This gets reheated to 180-190 degrees and then strained into a container for over night chilling. Then, the next day, I spin it. 

Are you using whole egg? And do you cook the custard after the egg addition? 

Yeah I used whole eggs (usually 2) and don't cook. This is the recipe: https://www.food.com/recipe/ben-jerrys-sweet-cream-base-77368

I've done it this way for years, but probably safer to cook the eggs first.

All this talk finally got me to pull the trigger on getting an ice cream maker.  Will be picking it up curbside after work tonight.  Blessing & curse in one small package 😄

2 hours ago, weezy said:

All this talk finally got me to pull the trigger on getting an ice cream maker.  Will be picking it up curbside after work tonight.  Blessing & curse in one small package 😄

My work is done here. 😈😸

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, deangold said:

My work is done here. 😈😸

Actually it should have been our work is done as spot takes credit for the rare occurances I do somehting right.

Well, my first go at it is a limited success.  I used a slight modification of the Ben & Jerry's base and I'm very happy with the flavor -- strawberry basil -- but I think I didn't chill the base enough because it only froze around the edges after churning for 25 minutes.  The canister got a full 26 hours in the chest freezer, so that was fine. 

I had about a quart of sliced strawberries that I had macerated with a couple of tablespoons of sugar and a couple of tablespoons of vodka.  I pureed most of the berries with all the juices and saved a few berries to add in at the end of the churn.  Then I ran the puree through a tamis -- ended up with a bit over 2.5 cups -- and afterwards reduced in the mike by a little over half and used 1/2 cup of the reduction and 1/2 cup of cream to replace the 1 cup of milk in the B&J recipe.  Steeped basil stems in the cream and tempered the eggs with the hot basil cream, and strained that.  Ended up adding a teaspoon of vanilla and about a tablespoon of lime juice to round the flavors.

At any rate, I put the loose mixture into a tupperware and stuck it in the freezer and I'm giving it a good stir about once an hour and it's starting to set up.  Fingers crossed that it keeps solidifying.  

ETA:  it did finally solidify.  Good texture and good flavor but I'm not in love with it.  I think the eggy-ness of the custard is fighting against the brightness of the fruit.    I think I'll try something like a coffee ice cream next time and see if I like that better.