Brothers and Sisters - An Upscale Bar at The Line Hotel in North Adams Morgan

A couple of weeks ago a friend and I walked up on a Friday in the hopes that we could snag a seat at Brother's and Sister's.  As we walked up the front steps, we were "greeted" by two large bouncers, who when we told them we didn't have a reservation, boxed us out, and wouldn't let us even move further up the steps of the property and told us to leave.  I guess a 40 year old lawyer is very scary looking and not the demographic they were going for.  It was very off putting, I don't really know what the purpose was of the treatment, perhaps, they could have just told us they were fully booked and we should try for another night.  I know it was Friday, soon after opening, but it was a pretty rude treatment.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, pras said:

A couple of weeks ago a friend and I walked up on a Friday in the hopes that we could snag a seat at Brother's and Sister's.  As we walked up the front steps, we were "greeted" by two large bouncers, who when we told them we didn't have a reservation, boxed us out, and wouldn't let us even move further up the steps of the property and told us to leave.  I guess a 40 year old lawyer is very scary looking and not the demographic they were going for.  It was very off putting, I don't really know what the purpose was of the treatment, perhaps, they could have just told us they were fully booked and we should try for another night.  I know it was Friday, soon after opening, but it was a pretty rude treatment.

Man, I'm sorry this happened to you - it's not impossible that these were hotel employees, or even temporary help during the opening (I'm trying to give people the benefit of the doubt).

We ate at Brothers and Sisters this past Thursday, it was quite good and the space was really amazing. It is a tad expensive but what new place isn’t, especially a hotel-based spot. 

It is on the lobby level of the hotel and Spike’s joint is the upstairs venue, at least that’s where we ate. It did not really have a club feel there, but I was told Friday and Saturday is pretty stoopid, and I would avoid going then (at this stage of my life). Everyone was dressed very smart, though, it definitely had a buzz. Service was gracious, and made us feel like we belonged. But I definitely saw the “goons” on the outdoor steps, had I not been with my better half perhaps I would have not made it in either. 

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Man, I'm sorry this happened to you - it's not impossible that these were hotel employees, or even temporary help during the opening (I'm trying to give people the benefit of the doubt).

Would this had been the same evening that the former POTUS & FLOTUS were celebrating a birthday meal at  A Rake ‘s Progress?

9 hours ago, kitkatpaddywak said:

Would this had been the same evening that the former POTUS & FLOTUS were celebrating a birthday meal at  A Rake ‘s Progress?

Nope, I was there on 1/19, Obamas were there on 1/17.  I wish that was the excuse.  

• Sad 1

Last month they started an afternoon tea menu for $40/person. More people in your party does not unlock additional items; you just get more of each thing. 

You start by choosing a tea (each person gets his/her own pot). I don't remember what I picked or all the choices; there was a white, a green, an oolong from Yilan, pu'er, Earl Grey and maybe afew others. I do remember that I picked poorly - don't go with anything too delicate because some of the food will stomp all over it (a little warning, please?). Then they bring out a tower tray of small bites as well as a slice of cake under a glass cover - the Washingtonian article linked above has a fantastic photo of how it's all supposed to look.

DC_brotherssisters_teapot.JPG.fef364e409ef054a43fbbc9a1ba4b279.JPG

DC_brotherssisters_teatower.JPG.468d243086d92d8b4703a0566680e527.JPG

Upper level:

Marble pound cake w/ berries

Comte with green apple and cracker [not sure why they used the same cheese in 2 places]

Duck wonton  [from B&S menu, hot note from cumin or 5 spice?]

Sesame breadstick w/ tahini butter [doughy/gummy texture in the middle, like it was underbaked]

DC_brotherssisters_layer1.JPG.e1a3ecea6e2de42e18e2d0ccacaa14fe.JPGDC_brotherssisters_sesamestick.JPG.124988bc9d62f0c137607b3663aad17e.JPG

Lower level:

Takoyaki hushpuppies [sauce spicy, I think from B&S menu]

Avocado Salad [from B&S menu]

Cucumber sandwich w/ ikura

Maple-walnut scone and macaron [ganache was way too sweet]

Chocolate chip cookie, matcha brownie

DC_brotherssisters_layer2.JPG.8f5cf08af5e0259a343b5b4f275597fb.JPG

Missed a spot: DC_brotherssisters_cukesando.JPG.2dad06026d0ab8c99b430c0aaa66880d.JPG

Slice of cake: lemon cheesecake w/ berries and salted cream

DC_brotherssisters_lastcake.JPG.6f607cb44aa1d32daa2100ba5fbbd2f4.JPG

Overall, this was OK but not something I need to do again. This is my feeling about the food here in general, though. I like the cakes in the case the best but it's not love and sometimes even those are a bit uneven.

• Like 1

I bought this Travelzoo deal on a whim.  It's basically gives you a free glass of bubbly with the afternoon tea.  As time went on, I kept being too lazy to go but since the coupon was expiring soon, I had to get off my butt and use it.  I'm glad I did.  It's good for me to get out of my Northern VA rut and see what is going on elsewhere, especially in the world of trendy gourmet food. 

I don't think I got as much food as guanabana, but it was pretty filling.  My favorite parts were the milk bread and the slice of orange pound cake (wow!).  I was too full to eat the cookies (took them home)  so can't weigh in on those yet.  The pastry chef Pichet Ong is very inventive and, from Googling,  turns out he is well-known in the food world.   I also got veggie eggroll (pretty good), some mushroom thing (blah),  good quality brie, apple slices, gravlax (tasty), prosciutto (yawn), some avocado veggie thing (ok),  large crispy thing (good), fruit cup.

I was eating solo and the service from the waiter, the host, and another guy who was lighting the candles on the table, couldn't be nicer.  I felt very welcomed in this "hip" environment and I am the opposite of hip.  It is located in a hotel converted from a church in Adams Morgan.  Here is the Travelzoo deal if you are interested:

https://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/Washington-DC/Restaurant/330437/

185658881_afternoontea.jpg.98d4bc99c4ad7b75ccaf003762084d1f.jpg

• Like 7