Roasted Veggies

mhberk

I've been on a roasted veggie kick lately and have been doing everything from brussel sprouts to sweet potatoes.

Last night I made some brussel sprouts by first clipping the outer leaves and cutting them in half. Then I blanched them in boiling water with small pinch of baking powder (for the intense green color) for about 45 seconds, put them in an ice bath and finished the process by putting them in a salad spinner to get the excess water off). After that, I tossed them in large bowl with olive oil, salt (plenty of it), and freshly cracked black pepper until everything was well (but lightly) coated. I laid them out, cut side down, on a sheet pan and placed them on the bottom rack of a 525 degree oven for 15 minutes.

While they were roasting, I did a medium dice 8 strips of thick cut bacon and then rendered it off. Once the sprouts were done, I sprinkled the bacon on top (for Thanksgiving, I'll toss the finished sprouts in some of the bacon fat for added flavor).

I am really not a fan of brussel sprouts, but THESE are out of this world!

IMG_0422.jpg

Recently (and frequently) roasted:

beets

eggplant

buttercup or kabocha squash

garlic

brussels sprouts

poblano chiles, tomatillos and sweet onions

something new for me (yesterday):

roma tomatoes--too mealy to eat, but halved, scooped out and drizzled with EVO and salt and roasted in a moderate oven, they turned into quasi-sundried, sweet-salty and chewy. Veddy intedestink! I shall perhaps use them as a garnish for a salad or mixed in with some cous-cous or pasta.

I've found that roasting transforms alot of blah vegetables into something great. There's like a 15 page thread on eGullet solely about roasted cauliflower. I don't know if it 'tastes like french fries' as some have claimed, but it does become absolutely addictive when caramelized in the oven.

Other favs:

Parsnips

Turnips

Carrots

Olives (ala Two Amys)

As Zora mentioned, slow roasted tomatoes with olive oil and garlic are amazing.

I've found that roasting transforms alot of blah vegetables into something great. There's like a 15 page thread on eGullet solely about roasted cauliflower. I don't know if it 'tastes like french fries' as some have claimed, but it does become absolutely addictive when caramelized in the oven.

Other favs:

Parsnips

Turnips

Carrots

Olives (ala Two Amys)

As Zora mentioned, slow roasted tomatoes with olive oil and garlic are amazing.

I haven't done olives in a while, but I like to roast parnsips/turnips/carrots/potatoes together. Roasted plum tomatoes are wonderful. I used some, beautifuly caramelized, to top meatloaf recently. I also like to roast red bell peppers.

Roasting red peppers is a good way to reclaim peppers that have been in the refrigerator too long. I buy bags of them with the best of intentions and the last few grow wrinkly in the vegetable drawer. Roasting brings them back to a very usable ingredient.

We're big fans of roasted cauliflower--I try to make it once a week or so. We made it at Thanksgiving and my FIL said it tasted like potatoes I guess it does to some people.

Roasted Cauliflower is great! Sometimes, after roasting it, I'll puree it with some warm chicken stock and butter and eat it like mashed potatoes.

Sweet potatoes work in a pinch.

Roasted sweet potatoes are great too. I like to peel them and cut them into cubes. Then toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh cut rosemary before I roast them. The rosemary really compliments the sweetness of the potatoes.

I roasted vegetables all day Sat for a party we had that evening. I did cauliflower, carrots (w/balsamic), new red potatoes with sea salt and rosemary (the rosemary still grows through the winter on the south side of the house), cippollini onions, tiny red onions, (onions were roasted in balsalmic too), parsnips, red pepper slices, and decorated with these baby tiger squash that I had blanched for 3 minutes prior to roasting them. They looked beautiful arranged on a large white rhomboid shaped platter.

Roasted sweet potatoes are great too. I like to peel them and cut them into cubes. Then toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh cut rosemary before I roast them. The rosemary really compliments the sweetness of the potatoes.
I use olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, and a good quality Madras curry powder with sweet potatoes.

How could I have forgotten to put cauliflower on my list? I just made some two nights ago.

Also, a very popular one at my house--asparagus! I just bought some today at WF and will probably roast them tonight or tomorrow night. I drizzle them with Meyer lemon-infused olive oil that I make before I roast and then give them a shot of lemon juice when they come out of the oven. And salt, of course.

How could I have forgotten to put cauliflower on my list? I just made some two nights ago.

Also, a very popular one at my house--asparagus! I just bought some today at WF and will probably roast them tonight or tomorrow night. I drizzle them with Meyer lemon-infused olive oil that I make before I roast and then give them a shot of lemon juice when they come out of the oven. And salt, of course.

I forgot asparagus so we're even! I find that it gets a little limp instead of crispy--I think I use too much oil but it's still darn tasty.

Not a fan of Brussel sprouts, but even I might like them the way you describe. Heck, a sprinkling of bacon can make anything edible!

As for roasted veggies, I like roasted root vegetables best. I especially like a blend of carrots and parsnips roasted with just a bit of olive oil, salt, and rosemary. Potatoes are my next favorite, especially if you can manage to get the nice crispy edges without them getting wilted.

In the summer, I really like roasted tomatoes. Fine Cooking magazine did an article several years ago on slow roasted tomatoes, and I do several huge batches every summer through the tomato season.

I've had roasted asparagus at restaurants, and it was delightful. When I've tried it at home it was a limp, greasy mess. (I've had similar problems with green beans.) Anyone have the secret to perfectly roasted asparagus?

Not a fan of Brussel sprouts, but even I might like them the way you describe. Heck, a sprinkling of bacon can make anything edible!

In the summer, I really like roasted tomatoes. Fine Cooking magazine did an article several years ago on slow roasted tomatoes, and I do several huge batches every summer through the tomato season.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY dislike brussel sprouts! Always have! But for some reason, these are my favorite roasted veggies. I HIGHLY recommend this recipe!

Would you mind sharing your recipe for the roasted tomatoes?

I've had roasted asparagus at restaurants, and it was delightful. When I've tried it at home it was a limp, greasy mess. (I've had similar problems with green beans.) Anyone have the secret to perfectly roasted asparagus?

I've never made roasted asparagus at home, but it seems to me that if you roast it at a very high temp (turning the oven up as high as it will go and let it stay at the temp for about 10 minutes before you put the pan in), you'll be able to carmalize the outside of the asparagus quicker - without the inside getting a chance to turn to mush. Or what about pan-roasing them?

You are probably leaving them in too long and/or roasting at too low a temperature. Use less oil, you just want to lightly coat them.

It only takes five minutes or a bit more at 400 degrees.

Do what Zora said. Light oil, high heat, short time. Time varies by size, pencil thin asparagus takes much less time than big fat ones. We use ones that are as thick as a man's thumb and the time is closer to ten minutes.

Also, peel the lower stems or snap the ends off, or both. Snapping at the natural snapping place generally gives more tender asparagus than cutting off the end, and more waste. Use a roasting pan that lets you spread out to one layer. Lightly sprinkle with Kosher or sea salt. Place pan in middle of pre-heated oven. Watch like a hawk, you can multi-task with a non-demanding task but not a demanding one.

Similar recommendations for green beans. If you use a small pan and stack the beans, they will steam rather than roast. Spread them out.

Zora, this surprises me. When I've used lemon olive oil before roasting, the result is awful - a bizarre burnt lemon taste developed. But drizzled on at the end - that's the best.

Zora, this surprises me. When I've used lemon olive oil before roasting, the result is awful - a bizarre burnt lemon taste developed. But drizzled on at the end - that's the best.

It may be because my lemon olive oil isn't all that lemon-y. I've never had a problem, though when I am grilling asparagus on the bbq, I use plain olive oil.

Cut carrots, turnips, shallots, real native sweet potatoes (not yams), and parsnips into 1-2 inch pieces. Mix in a bowl with a bit of olive oil, black pepper and honey. Place in a medium deep oven roasting pan covered with aluminum foil. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Cook for 30 minutes turning the veggies once after 15 minutes. We did this tonight, and the results were SPECTACULAR!