Reeves Bakery, 13th & G Streets NW - Open Since 1886 - Leeves

Today was my first visit to Reeves. Never even heard of it until today!!

The fried chicken with coleslaw. mashed potatoes and onion rings for lunch today was divine!!  Can't wait to try the pies...I hear they have the best strawberry pies.

Where is this place you speak of?

I would think that fights would break out over who gets to go pick up the cake.

They will now that I know they have more then cake!

Hmmm...next week all the boss-types are out of the office. Perhaps I will have to sponsor a field trip with the rest of the underlings.

Who ever it was that went to pick up the cakes in the past should get a dose of the "hairy eyeball."  Now their little secret is out.

No way -- they are the staff support types that really run the place. They will always have my undying gratitude. I know who takes care of me!

chuchelo said:
Hmmm, I went there a few times after they moved and felt like too much had changed and it was coasting on its name. Are there old-timers here saying it's as good again as it was before it closed and re-opened?

I can report only on the blueberry donuts. No other non-filled donuts are necessary on the planet.

Sad news from Tom's chat...

"Another Washington institution bites the dust. I just learned that Reeves (1306 G St. NW) has closed its downstairs dining room. This is unfortunate news for budgeteers who appreciated a good ham salad or hot roast turkey sandwich. Manager Fabio Orellana told me the high rent and lackluster business did in the 120-seat underground venue, which dates back to 1886 (though not always in that location).

On the bright side, the ground-floor bakery will remain open and continue to sell such Reeves' signatures as strawberry pie and "shadow" cake made with yellow and chocolate batters ... "

Stopped in to pick up a cupcake on my way back to the office from lunch at Bobby Van's (I wanted to watch soccer, my friend wanted to be within 2 blocks of his office... I guess we both got what we wanted, although I also got a mediocre burger...)

But back to the cupcakes at Reeve's -- YUM! They had pies, cupcakes, donuts, cookies. AND, they seem to be doing a carry-out business in fried chicken, mashed potatoes, wings, etc. When I got there I was third in line, but the line grew and as I was walking out it stretched all the way to the door. We've been talking about mom-and-pop establishments lately, and this is one to remember!

I don't think I've ever had a cupcake give me indigestion before, but the vanilla cupcake I had today from Reeve's certainly did. I was so disappointed. The icing was too sweet with a weird kind of stickiness, and the cake itself was light and fluffy, but I prefer my cupcakes to be a little denser. The cake was a good flavor, so I'm thinking my aversion to the cupcake probably comes mostly from the icing. It was reminiscent of a cupcake I had once from Giant (although I think I prefered the cupcake from Giant a little more...it certainly did not give me indigestion). Oh well.