J.R.'s Stockyards Inn, Steakhouse on Watson Street in Tysons Corner - Open for Private Events Only

I have never eaten here but former colleagues have and said it was awful. Can you go somewhere else?

Somehow I suspected that would be the first answer. ;) But no. We took friends out last week; this week it's their turn, and they want us to try JRs.

I think awful's a little strong. Sure, JR's is a throwback, and it isn't as good as it used to be, but I'd still go there before a lot of the other pseudo-steakhouses in Tyson's.

The steaks aren't Ray's quality, but they're good meat, and they're not terribly mistreated during cooking. The bread is good, and they bring a particularly crack-filled potted cheese to the table before the salads. The one real standout on the menu is the prime rib, and they do a bone-in cut of Flintstonian proportions that's good for a couple of meals and warms over wonderfully.

If you're expecting modern space, menu, and presentation, or servers under 60, JR's is not the place for you. For a social outing where the food isn't necessarily the primary reason you're going, it's fine.

JR's closed on Jan 17, 2011 for what was termed "major utility / infrastructure repairs," and never reopened to the public.

Nov 21, 2011 - "Did the County Shut Down JR's Stockyard?" on fairfaxunderground.com

However, according to their website, it *is* open for private events only.

Screenshot 2016-06-23 at 18.11.41.png

For example, this event on EventBrite which is taking place on Jul 27, 2016:

Screenshot 2016-06-23 at 18.16.46.png

Also, I never realized JR's opened in 1978, qualifying it for the list of Oldest Restaurants in the Washington, DC Area.

Back in the '80s, JR's was touted as having its own stockyard, implying that its beef was sourced directly. I recall that the early-early tech industry -- think Honeywell, GTE, Burroughs and the like -- favored JR's as the afternoon-through-wee-hours watering hole.