Andy Nelson's Barbecue - Memphis-Style BBQ From The Nelson Family

This place is still around? I used to date a girl in Cockeysville in '95 and we would go there all the time. I thought it was great! Haven't been in that area in a few years, but I think I might have to go back and see if it's like I remember it.

This place is still around?  I used to date a girl in Cockeysville in '95 and we would go there all the time.  I thought it was great!  Haven't been in that area in a few years, but I think I might have to go back and see if it's like I remember it.

Let us know what the ribs are like as well. wink.gif

In the battle of the barbecue in Cockeysville, I'd take Andy Nelson's over Corner Stable any day.

Details please? Where are they located? Phone #?

As for Corner Stable, I do like their stuff. I believe thatthey start the cooking proces by par-boiling them, but that is purely a guess. Surely not the best method, but I really do enjoy their ribs and fries and a Rolling Rock when I am up that way. And yes, I like G&M Crabcakes, too. What I like about them is that they are largely very different from other crabcakes -- unique.

But have been to CS since and I still like it. But need to hit Andy Nelson's to compare soon.

Andy Nelson's is superb, and a different style of ribs entirely - bigger, meatier, and close to Memphis-style. A lighter hand with the sauce lets the smoked pig goodness shine through, or go with his dry-rub version. Plus, Andy himself is a treasure, usually on-site and making the rounds.

I have been to both locations for ribs, and my preference is for AndyNelson's BBQ Ribs.

It feels much more like Memphis-style/St. Louis-style for me that I got a taste for when I was in school in St. Louis.

There sauce is delicious, and the ribs are hearty and come apart in a nice way.

I also like their beans.

Andy Nelson's is superb, and a different style of ribs entirely - bigger, meatier, and close to Memphis-style. A lighter hand with the sauce lets the smoked pig goodness shine through, or go with his dry-rub version. Plus, Andy himself is a treasure, usually on-site and making the rounds.

Thanks. Do they do carry-out? My wife might be driving by there in the vicinity sometime soon. I'd assume the ribs travel well enough....

No idea what Memphis style is, though, so it'd be enlightening. These are still pork ribs right (I assume so from your comments of pig goodness)? I'm not a big fan of beef ribs...

I've eaten here maybe 3-4 times now over the past few months. The ribs are great. The BBQ beans are wonderful (but eating them along with whatever Q you are getting is bordering on overkill). The potato salad is also very good. The pulled pork is good, but I prefer Urban BBQ's. The brisket is excellent though. The BBQ potato wedges are HORRID though.

Also, comparing ANBBQ ribs and Corner Stable Ribs is like apples and oranges.

The 'cue was calling to me this afternoon, so I popped in to give Andy Nelson's a try for the first time. Two disclaimers: 1) I have some BBQ experience, but it's by no means extensive, and 2) my standby back home in Chicago was tips, with all of the accompanying fat, gristle and flavor.

I tried a three bone sampler and the pulled pork. I enjoyed the ribs, but I couldn't get worked up over them. Nice rub. Nicer texture, tender but still with some character and bite. The sauce was a little low-key for my tastes, and the meat itself was lacking a certain unctuous quality that, as mentioned, may simply be due to my preference for tips. I also would've like them smokier. Solid, if unspectacular.

The pulled pork disappointed me a little. Competent, I suppose, but boring. Tender and undeniably porky, but totally lacking character. Might as well have been roasted. Contrast with other places I've been where there's a little char, a little bark, some rub in there, more texture -- I just couldn't get into it.

Of course, I'm aware of the BBQ's variable nature day-to-day or even hour-to-hour, so take this as the single data point it is.

The thing to get here is definitely the brisket. Wow. On its own, it is flavorful and tender. I'm guessing it would probably be a little more moist if it hadn't been carried out. With some fresh horseradish this stuff is even better.

I agree with Dmnkly that the ribs could probably be a little bit more exciting. Maybe with a little char. All in all not disagreeable.

Pulled pork was flavorful, but at the same time a little ho hum. I think I am used to Carolina-style now, and enjoy a little vinegar.

I was hankering for some BBQ this afternoon and I remembered a friend's recommendation so I gathered a couple people and drove up to Cockeysville. First of all, I love the atmosphere - checking out the menu written in chalk, everything served at the counter, and sitting outside on a collection of picnic tables. I got the brisket sandwich with mac and cheese and cornbread as sides. The brisket was very good, tender and flavorful but could have used a bit more smoke flavor and rub. I have a feeling I caught it on an off day. It was still delicious and well worth the $14. The mac and cheese was very creamy, but probably heavy if you're going heavier on the meat (like a full rack of ribs or something) and the cornbread was delicious - especially with a little added BBQ sauce added. I tried my friend's baked beans and they were incredible, full of smoky flavor. If I have a hankering for BBQ again and am not firing up the smoker in the backyard, I'll be making a return trip.