Ernie's Original Crab House, King Street Metro in Old Town - For Sale

Looks like the old Thai Peppers restaurant in Alexandria (on King Street near the metro) is going to be an Ernie's Original Crab House - at least according to the permits/notices posted in their window. Anyone ever tried Ernies'? I think there used to be one in the Fairlington area on Fern Street, but that was years ago.

Looks like the old Thai Peppers restaurant in Alexandria (on King Street near the metro) is going to be an Ernie's Original Crab House - at least according to the permits/notices posted in their window. Anyone ever tried Ernies'? I think there used to be one in the Fairlington area on Fern Street, but that was years ago.

Very interesting.... I was wondering what might wind up in that space. I did go to the Fairlington Ernie's a few years back and enjoyed it, even though we were just about the only customers in the place. Don't remember too many specifics other than crabs, beer, brown paper on the tables - the usual crab house stuff.

There's an Ernie's Originial Crab House that's south of Old Town on Rt. One. I've never seen anyone going in or out of the place. It's not far from the Krispie Kreme, but on the other side of the highway. I'm amazed it's got a strong enough following to expand.

I thought the same thing! I wonder if they're expanding or relocating?

Ernies appears to be open. We walked by last night, the open sign was lit, two workers were sitting inside, but no customers. I think they have a little yard in the back w/ picnic tables for when the weather gets nicer (as seen from the Hilton driveway when I was picking up a cup of starbucks on my way to work).

The original Ernie's (in Mount Vernon) opened in 1943, and the business was sold to the Mao family in 1985. There was a second Fern Street location which closed. My question is: Does the original Ernie's on Route 1 in Mount Vernon still exist, and if so, is the King Street location a second branch?

Their website makes no mention of the Mount Vernon location, so I'm wondering if King Street is all that's left. If that's true, does anyone know if the establishment has operated continuously (in one location or another) since 1943? That appears to be the case.

Here's a 2007 article from the Alexandria Times which sheds some light on the subject, but still doesn't answer my specific questions (which have ramifications both for the Dining Guide and the Oldest Restaurants thread).

Cheers,

Rocks.

The original Ernie's (in Mount Vernon) opened in 1943, and the business was sold to the Mao family in 1985. There was a second Fern Street location which closed. My question is: Does the original Ernie's on Route 1 in Mount Vernon still exist, and if so, is the King Street location a second branch?

Their website makes no mention of the Mount Vernon location, so I'm wondering if King Street is all that's left. If that's true, does anyone know if the establishment has operated continuously (in one location or another) since 1943? That appears to be the case.

Here's a 2007 article from the Alexandria Times which sheds some light on the subject, but still doesn't answer my specific questions (which have ramifications both for the Dining Guide and the Oldest Restaurants thread).

Cheers,

Rocks.

I grew up going to the Ernie's on Rte 1, my dad always liked chatting with Ernie Delvecchio. It is now a karate school, I believe. Also have been to Fern St. Not sure about the connection to the one in Old Town, saw the name and wondered because I think they have a different sign, different font or something, not exactly like the sign I remember. But I could be wrong about that.

I grew up going to the Ernie's on Rte 1, my dad always liked chatting with Ernie Delvecchio. It is now a karate school, I believe. Also have been to Fern St. Not sure about the connection to the one in Old Town, saw the name and wondered because I think they have a different sign, different font or something, not exactly like the sign I remember. But I could be wrong about that.

The one on Fern St. is now gone (for over a year, actually). That only leaves the original one on Rt 1. (I haven't been there in years so I don't even know if it's still there or not).

The one on Fern St. is now gone (for over a year, actually). That only leaves the original one on Rt 1. (I haven't been there in years so I don't even know if it's still there or not).

From what I'm gathering, only the King Street location remains, completely unrelated to the others except in name (and various other corporate assets) only.

And yet, there are a couple Ernie's Crab Houses in Prince George's County ...

Rocks.

Ernie's windows are now decorated by a bunch of Chinese food advertisements, along with a neon SUSHI sign.

I'm skeptical, but then again it's two minutes from my house. Ernie's really has sushi? Is it any good?

From what I'm gathering, only the King Street location remains, completely unrelated to the others except in name (and various other corporate assets) only.

And yet, there are a couple Ernie's Crab Houses in Prince George's County ...

Rocks.

the b'more side of my family (those that have relocated to pg county) have been going to ernie's in pg on bladensburg rd. since before i was born (and i aint gettin' any younger now); dont know if this helps but A: there is ernie's in pg and B: there crabs are fo' real, (been eating'em my whole life, though obrycki's it aint) though it is a cash and carry joint, not a restaurant, again if that helps.

for what its worth,

sammy