Dining on Halloween

mirex

Do you have preferences on location (DC, VA, MD)? By fun, festive atmosphere, do you mean something with a Halloween theme or just fun generally?

No preferences on location. Halloween theme is the most important element.

Thank you for the response

Wondering what place to choose that would have a fun, festive atmosphere and great food of course. Cuisine: no preference. Thank you.

First post? Congratulations and welcome!

Kids or adult-themed Halloween? After a Sunday night visit to Comet, I'm sure the ghouls and gobblins will be out in full force. Despite my own reservations, it might be a good place to hang on All Hollow's Eve.

Because you said that a Halloween theme is the most important element, I'll suggest Filomena in Georgetown (www.filomenadc.com). It was a few Octobers ago that I was there, but at that time, the restaurant went all out with the tacky and kitschy Halloween decorations. You should make sure they're still doing that if you call for a reservation, though I would expect so. The food's not great, but it's been fine during the three or so times I've been there in the last 10 years, and again, this is based on the Halloween theme being the important element.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that if I were springing for a nice meal, I wouldn't do it Halloween. Better to live on candy corn and shooters for one night.
Another factor might be that Halloween is a Wednesday this year. Most of the Halloween festivities I've seen announced are for the previous Saturday. I wonder how many places go all out on a Wednesday. On the other hand, that's probably an easier night to get a table.

How about the 'drag' races on 17th Street followed by dinner at Komi :P - or Hank's. Good luck getting a table (much less a spot on the sidewalk) anywhere unless you go super-early. Better yet, just skip dinner and go for the liquid diet at Fox and Hounds :blink: . The race happens the Tuesday before Halloween (and this year I think that's actually the Tuesday before the Tuesday before Halloween - 10/23) October 30. Walrus is correct in her post below - I also verified in the 'local' newspaper events calendar. The event is definitely a DC institution with lots of creative costumes (the "Dairy Queens" were one of my all-time favorites) and great people-watching.

Is Georgetown still packed with costumed revelers on Halloween? Might be fun to get a table in a window along Wisconsin or M St and watch the crowds go by.

Slightly more G-rated (and family-oriented - costumed kiddies and dogs, decorated strollers, etc) is the Del Ray Halloween Parade. Again, this is not ON Halloween, but happens on Sunday 10/28 at 2:00 pm. Grab some brunch before or dinner after at Evening Star, Del Merei, Bombay Curry Company, Los Tios, Taqueria el Poblano, etc. Dessert at the Dairy Godmother

Thank you all for the suggestions, there are so many to choose from :blink:

Looks like it`s better to stay in Georgetown on Halloween night where the all action is gonna take place, right? May be we should have dinner at Cafe Milano and then go for a walk on M street, stop by a few bars for drinks and finish up the night with some place where we can get a dessert :P

And on Saturday 27th, we are going to try Ecities at Tysons Corner(since it`s very close to my house), I haven`t been there but I checked the menu and it looks very good and the Halloween party starts at 9pm there.. I`m so excited, it`s my first Halloween in America!!

Happy Halloween guys and have a wonderful celebration!!

Thank you all for the suggestions, there are so many to choose from :blink:

Looks like it`s better to stay in Georgetown on Halloween night where the all action is gonna take place, right? May be we should have dinner at Cafe Milano and then go for a walk on M street, stop by a few bars for drinks and finish up the night with some place where we can get a dessert :P

I'd also recommend parking elsewhere and taking a cab to Georgetown. Cafe Milano is a great choice if you're afraid of suits and facelifts. ;), you probably want to get a reservation soon. I'd go to the Citronelle Lounge for drinks. Depending on the crowds, taking a walk on M Street might get challenging, but it's been many years since I was anywhere near Georgoetown on Halloween night and it may be less crazy now.

(This is for you, porcupine. )

In case you decide to stay home that evening:

Halloween Chili

Substitutions are in parentheses. Best made during the last phase of the moon. If that is not possible, just do the best you can in a candlelit kitchen after dark.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 lb ground goblin gizzards (ground beef)

1 medium eye of Cyclops (onion)

15 oz Can soft shelled beetles (kidney beans)

28 oz Can blood of bat (V-8 juice)

1/8 t pureed wasp (prepared mustard)

1/4 t common dried weed (oregano)

1 dash of Red-tailed hawk toenails (crushed red pepper)

2 t ground sumac blossom (chili powder)

1 t hemlock (honey or sugar)

1/2 c fresh grubs (sliced celery)

1 T eye of Newt (pearled barley)

1 T dried maggots (uncooked rice)

Water from a stagnant pond (or just regular water will do)

Preparation:

Brown the gizzards in an iron cauldron over a fire made from the siding off of a haunted house. A regular pot and stove can work in a pinch.

Add chopped eye of cyclops and simmer until the pieces of eye become translucent. Add blood of bat, and soft shelled beetles, and bring to a slow bubbling boil.

Add the common weed, maggots, toenails, sumac, grubs, hemlock, eye of newt and the pureed wasp.

As it cooks you may want to adjust the consistency with pond water. You can tell it is done when the eye of newt swells and the vertical tan colored 'cats eye' appears on one side.