Pomegranate Bistro, Cabin John Mall - David Dahan and Stephane Mangine's Certified Kosher - Closed

I have eaten lunch here twice. I am Jewish and do not observe kashrut (Kosher). The prices are high, portions average and service average. This is vey typical for Kosher restaurants. They have a captive audience. Dinner prices are egregious. However, for observers of Kashrut, they have few choices. I hope this restaurant succeeds, for the benefit of my many observant friends. I can say there is a 100% chance I will never eat dinner here.

Pomegranate Bistro closed the middle of last month. As noted in this topic, it was mediocre, expensive, and closed Friday night and Saturday. There's a solid Jewish population in this neighborhood, but not a large enough *observant* one for a somewhat expensive Kosher restaurant to survive.

Pomegranate Bistro closed the middle of last month. As noted in this topic, it was mediocre, expensive, and closed Friday night and Saturday. There's a solid Jewish population in this neighborhood, but not a large enough *observant* one for a somewhat expensive Kosher restaurant to survive.

I still think Kemp Mill would be the place for one ...

... or South Dupont Circle {scary organ music, foreshadowing}.

There's a Kosher restaurant in Rockville - Pita Hut - on N. Washington St. They seem to be thriving because it's essentially a sandwich and light entree place, so the prices are moderate, it's not a high-rent area, and it's near the courthouse and offices so they do a brisk lunch business. Makes up for the loss of Fri/Sat night.

There are two observant synagogues within walking distance of PB. So if there was going to be an area where it could survive, that's a good location (there are also two in Kemp Mill). But if you're going to survive without Fri/Sat night, you have to be able to bring in the non-observant crowd, or have such a density of observant Jews that you keep the place packed the rest of the time. And, of course, there are several kosher cafes in the Kemp Mill shopping center. But a restaurant with entree prices in the 30s better be AWESOME, and it wasn't.

BTW - don't know if you were being coy, Rocks, but there's a rumor around that Pom Bistro *is* moving to Kemp Mill.

Really? Actually there are 3 synagogues if you include the one that is on Kemp Mill Road. People who can walk to that one can also walk to the shopping center. And while there is definitely a market, I can't see a higher price restaurant surviving in the area. Nova Europa survives, but i think that is because of the "blue hair" specials and the fact that they always have coupons in the paper for "buy one entree get one free." wink.gif

Reopened!

This has reopened in Cabin John Mall (the same location) under new owners (David Dahan and Stephane Mangine have replaced former chef Richard Tassiello), and according to their website, remains certified Kosher under the Rabbinical Council of Greater Washington (assuming the icon alone is proof enough). However, the website seems to be playing down the Kosher aspect a bit, possibly figuring that "the people who care will already know," and the goyim who don't need to be subtly reeled in and enlightened. :)