Virginia Ham

I have some friends coming in to town and spending time in NoVa while here. They want to sample as much of the truly regional foods that the DC-MD-VA area is known for. When they mentioned this, I assumed one thing to try would be various preparations of proper Virgina ham.

Where can I steer them? While they'll be primarily in Fredericksburg, they'll spend some time in DC, Springfield and might also go Virginia wine-tasting among other things -- just to give you an idea where they'll be geographically. I believe they will have a car, too.

TIA

I have some friends coming in to town and spending time in NoVa while here. They want to sample as much of the truly regional foods that the DC-MD-VA area is known for. When they mentioned this, I assumed one thing to try would be various preparations of proper Virgina ham.

Where can I steer them? While they'll be primarily in Fredericksburg, they'll spend some time in DC, Springfield and might also go Virginia wine-tasting among other things -- just to give you an idea where they'll be geographically. I believe they will have a car, too.

TIA

Calhoun's in Culpeper. If they go early, ham biscuits .............

Culpeper isn't exactly wine country, but it's a pleasant drive from Fredericksburg, and not too out of the way from Charlottesville.

You might shoot a PM over to Rapahannock, Chef of the Flint Hill Public House and see if he's cooking any ham this week. This will put you in wine country, even if it's a bit of a drive.

I was just going to suggest this, even though I've never been; people I know love it and Mr. Pearson's posts here make me think he's not the kind of guy to serve substandard anything, and I note his webpage http://www.flinthillpublichouse.com/lunch_menu.html indicates a Virginia Ham sandwich is a staple on the lunch menu.

And there are a BUNCH of wineries around where he is.

It's Edward's Ham from Surry, VA. We do a Virginia Ham and Brie Sandwich at lunch. People seem to dig it...

:blink: You can buy Edward's Ham at Brookville (supermarket in Cleveland Park) again. After Pam the Butcher left, the place started to sell ghastly national brands, but has recently mended its ways. I only noticed packaged slabs of ham or ham steaks on a recent trip; pricey but worth it!

I wonder if Earl's on Wilson offers anything featuring the Commonwealth ungulate?

And apparently there have been Calhoun ham sightings at the Old Town Alexandria farmer's market. Both the Calhoun website and other sources reveal this.

Tom Calhoun has been at the Old Town market a long time, so I imagine he's there (back, left, under the archway). It's been several weeks since I've been, but he was there.

OK, now I've got shaved ham on my list again....

This ham produced by Bev Eggleston stands out in my mind a full year later.

Of course, it's not as good as a Napa Valley ham, and certainly nothing like you'd find in the old world, but take the label off, serve it blind, and many a ham-snob will be forced to reevaluate their ignorance.

I have spoken,

Hamlet.

I half-smoken,

Nizam Ali.

I, Claudius,

Rob Graves.

I, Yam,

Popeye.

This ham produced by Bev Eggleston stands out in my mind a full year later.

Of course, it's not as good as a Napa Valley ham, and certainly nothing like you'd find in the old world, but take the label off, serve it blind, and many a ham-snob will be forced to reevaluate their ignorance.

I have spoken,

Hamlet.

I half-smoken,

Nizam Ali.

I, Claudius,

Rob Graves.

I, Yam,

Popeye.

[Nobody appreciates the subtle genius that emerges after I've been drinking.]

I, Claudius,

Rob Graves.

Dude, I just laughed so loudly that my office mate scooted her chair away from me.

I've had Calhoun ham at Waitman & Mrs. B's house & it's pretty damned good. I may have to find the Old Town farmer's market.