D.C.'s Salted Oat vs. NYC's Black & White Cookie

julebanville

Looking for people who know a good cookie from a bad one to wax on about or dis either the Salted Oat as D.C.'s cookie or the Black & White as NYC's. Even better if you have ties to both DC and NYC and are familiar with both varieties and have a strong opinion. Which would you want on an island? Or maybe it's Baltimore's Berger cookie? This is for a cookie vs. cookie column in Washington City Paper (trying to give our own Tim Carman a break). I'd love to talk with anyone so inclined: 202-332-2100, ext. 456.

Jule Banville

Asst. Managing Editor

Washington City Paper

jbanville@washcp.com

No contest IMO between the mysteriously delicious salty, currant-y, oat cookie and a boring old cakey B&W.

I first had a salty oat cookie at Marvelous Market way back when. The ones at the Market aren't that great any more, but I make them at home to get my fix. They are what led me to experiment with various salty desserts like caramels and fleur de sel brownies.

I have never had a Salted Oat cookie, so I cannot comment on that. However, nothing is better than a good Black & White cookie (unlike Jerry Seinfeld, I eat the vanilla first, then the chocolate). Unfortunately, nothing is worse than a bad Black & White cookie.

I have never had a Salted Oat cookie, so I cannot comment on that. However, nothing is better than a good Black & White cookie (unlike Jerry Seinfeld, I eat the vanilla first, then the chocolate). Unfortunately, nothing is worse than a bad Black & White cookie.

Are there any good ones locally (not going to NYC anytime soon)? I agree with Heather on the boring comment as it describes the ones I have had.

I have never had any of the cookies mentioned in this thread, but I am a sucker for sweet and salty together. Where might I find a decent DC Salted Oat?

Teaism. Get thee to Teaism--the salty oat is a cookie worth the trip. The restaurant fiercely refuses to give up the recipe, but DCist tinkered and played with it until they came up with this facsimile, which I think is pretty darn good. (The rice flour is the secret to the texture, I think.)

My wife has concocted her own version of a salted oat cookie, originally inspired by the Teaism version, that IMO is better. She's entered this a few times at the MD State Fair with not a single ribbon though. We keep entering it in the oatmeal cookie category and call it a salted oat cookie and I think that makes the judges go 'Huh?!' so they pass right by it. This year we'll just call it something without using the word 'salt' in the title and see how we do.

And I'll take a salted oat cookie any day over almost any other cookie. Except maybe the Ginger Spice cookie. Whoa.

Are there any good ones locally (not going to NYC anytime soon)? I agree with Heather on the boring comment as it describes the ones I have had.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any good ones around here, so when I visit my family in NJ I get my fix.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any good ones around here, so when I visit my family in NJ I get my fix.
Me either -- I wait for trips to family in NY. And while I like the salty oat cookie, the black and white is tied to so many childhood and family memories that it is just no contest. I alternate bites from the chocolate and vanilla sides.