Fish Tacos

The apotheosis of fish taco excellence, even for this Southern Cali-savvy diner, is Pelon’s in Virginia Beach. Their shrimp tacos are on my short list of Death Row Foods. I’ve posted previously about this obsession.

I recently experienced Taco Tuesday at Hank’s in Old Town, three crispy renditions for $15. It sounded expensive for what is historically a street food, but I must say the quality of ingredients launched this into a must-repeat experience. A flour-based tortilla, freshly fried and deftly seasoned, stuffed with plenty of firm, white fish (likely baked or roasted), top-notch pico de gallo, ripe avocado, and smoky chipotle cream all culminate in fresh, full flavor that won’t demonstrate the dreaded shell-shattering effect. With $6 house margaritas part of the Tuesday menu, all that’s missing is the ocean atmosphere.

Where else in the DMV area are the excellent fish or shrimp tacos?

Taco Bamba in Falls Church has a fish taco made with fried tilapia on its menu. I've not had it, but if it's as good as the other tacos I've had there, it'd be worth a visit.

Tortacos in Gaithersburg used to have fish tacos on Saturdays.  I haven't been there in awhile so don't know if it's still true.  I never made it in on a Saturday to try them, but I very much enjoyed all of their other kinds of tacos.

The two best fish tacos I have had in my life are the ones I had in Mexico, where the fish had been swimming just moments earlier before being turned into lunch, and the ones I had at Fishnet in College Park just a few weeks ago.

Fishnet would be my first choice. Daniel is correct - the fish tacos in Baja California are splendid. I also had a salmon taco in Los Angeles that was fantastic.

Nobody has mentioned Taqueria El Poblano which serves passable fish tacos - not worth a special trip for, but if you're in the area, they're okay. But if you're in Arlington, Taco Bamba is near, and that would be my destination.