On The Fly, Eco-Friendly, Organic Food Carts and Cafes in DC - Closed

I've been gone a bit from DC, but I noticed at least one new street vendor-type downtown, the 'On The Fly' electric vehicle near 8th and G Sts., I believe.

Photos

Has the program to bring in new vendors with different offerings that people really want worked out? I remember they surveyed the public, then they issued some new permits. But I only saw this one vendor. Are there more?

On the Fly has a few other locations, but I have only been to the 8th/F one so far.

On The Fly has a few carts (well, at least two that I know of). I wasn't aware they had regular locations during the week, but I've seen them around town at various events. They were at the periphery of the Folklife Festival last weekend. Two carts are also stationed right outside of Nationals Park on game days. Tacos or Julia's empanadas beats most everything inside the park at half the price. No problems bringing their food inside either.

Here's the WaPo map from last year showing the proposed location of the food carts. I've only ever personally seen the Korean cart which is quite good.

On the Fly has a few other locations, but I have only been to the 8th/F one so far.
I was underwhelmed by the tacos/empanada from On the Fly. I just thought there was a general lack of flavor, though the price was right. I love the concept and the attempts to be green(er). I've seen other OTFs so maybe other variations have tastier food.

On The Fly has a few carts (well, at least two that I know of). I wasn't aware they had regular locations during the week, but I've seen them around town at various events. They were at the periphery of the Folklife Festival last weekend. Two carts are also stationed right outside of Nationals Park on game days. Tacos or Julia's empanadas beats most everything inside the park at half the price. No problems bringing their food inside either.

Here's the WaPo map from last year showing the proposed location of the food carts. I've only ever personally seen the Korean cart which is quite good.

One of the On The Fly SmartKarts is located at the corner of 7th and F, NW weekdays. They used to offer Rockland's Barbecue, but they're currently doing Julia's Empanadas and tacos.

Another is at 8th and H, NW on weekdays. They've got Teaism entrees and their mint iced tea.

They also have brick-and-mortar locations inside the Farragut North Metro station (north side) and inside Results on Capitol Hill.

Their website is www.dconthefly.com.

One of the first carts that opened did halal shawarma - Delle & Campbell's Halal Luncheonette. They were a bit pricey, and they tried a few different locations (including one on the strip of land between Massachusetts & F Streets across from the Dubliner. Haven't seen them in quite a while, so I'm not sure whether they've moved on or packed it in.

One of the On The Fly SmartKarts is located at the corner of 7th and F, NW weekdays. They used to offer Rockland's Barbecue, but they're currently doing Julia's Empanadas and tacos.

Another is at 8th and H, NW on weekdays. They've got Teaism entrees and their mint iced tea.

Not sure what's happening, but On the Fly might be downsizing. I looked for both of these locations today while I was downtown, and was disappointed that they weren't out. Their website does not show these locations either.

Not sure what's happening, but On the Fly might be downsizing. I looked for both of these locations today while I was downtown, and was disappointed that they weren't out. Their website does not show these locations either.

They are often outside my building on the SE corner of Vermont Ave and I St.

SE corner of Vermont and I St.? Are you with the VA?

That corner has Loeb's if I'm not mistaken. That may be the closest thing to a NY Deli in the District.

I'm with Ex-Im Bank, which has the 7th and 9th-12th floor of the Lafayette Building, where Loeb's is located. I only ate a Loeb's along time ago, but I see quite few VA and Ex-Im old timers who like the place. When my children eat too much for me to have leftovers, I usually get a club sandwich at Sizzlin' Express. UMMM unhealthy.

Ignacio

I noticed today that the location in the Farragut North Metro station has closed.

We're looking for a high-energy, food lover to run the food cart at GW. If anyone is interested, they can PM me and I'll pass it on to James.

I'm not sure whatever happened to the partnership with On The Fly and Comet Ping Pong, but the entire operation seems to have gone out of business. I never quite understood what this business was, or when it shut down, or even *if* it shut down nationwide - if anyone has any solid information, would you please post it here?

This is a fine example of an administrative nightmare, from my end.

I'm not sure whatever happened to the partnership with On The Fly and Comet Ping Pong, but the entire operation seems to have gone out of business. I never quite understood what this business was, or when it shut down, or even *if* it shut down nationwide - if anyone has any solid information, would you please post it here?

This is a fine example of an administrative nightmare, from my end.

Okay, so I found out that On The Fly was owned (or run) by Stuart Martens, who is now CEO of Taste of DC. I was told it shut down a few years ago due to the typical reasons - lagging sales, lack of investor support, etc. They were good looking trucks - I wonder what happened to them.