Kenny's Subs, Three Maryland Locations - A Local Americanized Chinese Chain

On my way to the office this morning a "Grand Opening" sign caught my eye for Kenny's Subs so I drove back by at lunch to check it out.

I walked in, looked up at the menu behind the registers, and began questioning my own sanity as I read a Chinese takeout menu. Sure, it had 5 or 6 subs listed at the end, but the menu was 90% General Tso's, etc.

WTF?

I turned around and walked out... a little pissed off. mad.gif

On my way to the office this morning a "Grand Opening" sign caught my eye for Kenny's Subs so I drove back by at lunch to check it out.

I walked in, looked up at the menu behind the registers, and began questioning my own sanity as I read a Chinese takeout menu. Sure, it had 5 or 6 subs listed at the end, but the menu was 90% General Tso's, etc.

WTF?

I turned around and walked out... a little pissed off. :D

Reminds me of Danny's Subs in College Park. Heh...

For a split second my mind imagined a General Tso's sub and thought it was just crazy enough (the sub, not my mind) that it might just work.

In college, there was a place for a short time that featured Chinese Pizza.

Moo Shu Pork Pizza, for example.

No, really.

Moo Shu Pork, on whole wheat pizza dough, with Hoisin sauce instead of tomato sauce. About 10 different combinations of dishes like this one.

It was as spectacularly bad as you can imagine.

In college, there was a place for a short time that featured Chinese Pizza.

Moo Shu Pork Pizza, for example.

No, really.

Moo Shu Pork, on whole wheat pizza dough, with Hoisin sauce instead of tomato sauce. About 10 different combinations of dishes like this one.

It was as spectacularly bad as you can imagine.

China Gourmet in Kensington used to serve Chinese Pizza - and it wasn't all that bad - but that was about 10-15 years ago. (Has anyone been here lately?)

Hm, maybe they can sell chow mein sandwiches. I read about them in the book "The Fortune Cookie Chronicles" and couldn't believe it.

The chow mein sandwich, a specialty of Fall River Mass., is one of Emeril's favorite things from his youth (he grew up in Fall River). IIRC he featured the couple who invented it on a show he did about his youth, and growing up and getting into the restaurant biz.

He has his own recipe here

WTF?

I turned around and walked out... a little pissed off. mad.gif

I thought I had a pretty good command of what is where, but I was surprised that the Rockville location is the fifth for Kenny's Subs (click).

---

ETA - And as of March 7, 2012, they're down to three locations.

Edited by DonRocks

The chow mein sandwich, a specialty of Fall River Mass., is one of Emeril's favorite things from his youth (he grew up in Fall River). IIRC he featured the couple who invented it on a show he did about his youth, and growing up and getting into the restaurant biz.

He has his own recipe here

When I was in junior high school in Pawtucket, RI, for some odd reason in 8th grade we got let out one period early. Rather than just hang around and wait for the bus, we walked home. Our route took us past Chin's Chinese Restaurant, so each week we would stop in for chow mein sandwiches. The price: $0.15. :D This was in 1975.

I thought I had a pretty good command of what is where, but I was surprised that the Rockville location is the fifth for Kenny's Subs (click).
Is the Rockville location next to the post office? There is a chinese takeout place in that shopping center that has really cheap chinese (not great but definitely edible) and been there for twenty years (can't remember the name) - Would feed me and two kids for around $10 - Did they go out?

Is the Rockville location next to the post office? There is a chinese takeout place in that shopping center that has really cheap chinese (not great but definitely edible) and been there for twenty years (can't remember the name) - Would feed me and two kids for around $10 - Did they go out?

I think so, next to the Post Office. I used to go to that Chinese place occasionally too. I thought they had a $5 lunch combo special, and every day it was some sort of breaded chicken. And this Kenny's; I guess it replaces one that used to be up Rockville Pike more, closer to Edmonston/Wintergreen? At least, there used to be one there.

Is the Rockville location next to the post office?

It's in the newish building next to Federal Plaza, next to Qdoba-that-used-to-be-the-Melting-Pot.

Has anyone here actually eaten the food in Kenny's Subs?

It's in the newish building next to Federal Plaza, next to Qdoba-that-used-to-be-the-Melting-Pot.

Has anyone here actually eaten the food in Kenny's Subs?

I will not eat a sub, eggroll, pizza, or burrito from Kenny's Subs. Just on principle, I ain't givin' 'em my money. It isn't a sub shop, and who the fuck is Kenny?

I've had Kenny's at their old Rockville location (across from Broadway Diner) and their cheese steaks are really good. They don't skimp out on the meat..that I can tell you. I usually order the 12" sub and usually have to share with another because of the quantity. Their wings are outstanding as well.

Their old location is now occupied by Subway but I'm glad they aren't too far away.