Brussels Sprouts

I generally prefer mine roasted as well (so easy, salt/pepper/olive oil), Liberty Tavern sautees theirs with a bit of bacon. Quite delicious (which reminds me I need to get back there for dinner at some point...although its always a battle to not order their vermont pizza :( ).

what a coincidence. i was just talking about brussel sprouts on the phone, about how i don't really feel the need to do anything with them but cook (steam and saute) and butter them up, although i can see how restaurants might feel compelled to do more.

considering they are not everybody's raving favorite vegetable, it is a bit surprising to see their popularity around town. (as a young child i would sneak them off the dinner plate and hide them in my pockets, a secret that came out in the wash, i guess, though i was never confronted with the discovery.)

anyway,i have recently run into good versions at blue ridge (nutty and singed) and radius pizza (sauced with a lemony almost brown butter).

My only complaint about most brussel sprouts in restaurants is that they tend to be oily. I parboil them, toss them with herbs and a little olive oil, then throw them on a hot grill for a few minutes to crisp up.

Cork's version is not oily at all...I highly recommend them.

Pizzeria Orso has a good brussel sprouts appetizer. While I know nothing about restaurant food costs, I've have always found it surprising that it is one of their more expensive apps, and not one of the cheaper ones. Anyway, get it during their excellent happy hour and save $2 (good on ALL apps!).

From Sietsema, yesterday

Why are DC restaurants 10 years in creativity behind New York? Some French restaurants (on M Street) menus are stuck in the 80's.

A: Tom Sietsema

Honestly, there are plenty of New York restaurants whose menus are trapped in amber, too.

...because having every menu on the planet right now offering fried brussels sprouts is so innovative.

Personally, I've come to grips with the little bastards.  Though, as Portlandia so archly observes, Brussels sprouts' success is largely due to its pairing with foods that actually taste good or preparations that dramatically change its nutritional profile.

• Like 1

Personally, I've come to grips with the little bastards.  Though, as Portlandia so archly observes, Brussels sprouts' success is largely due to its pairing with foods that actually taste good or preparations that dramatically change its nutritional profile. 

Oh yeah....pairing something one doesn't like with foods one does like or do taste good.   That has made the little lumpy balls more palatable....at least in my experience and opinion.

I would also suggest that a simple roasting of sprouts with modest amounts of oil, salt, and pepper changes its flavor profile from something awful to something delicious more than any other vegetable (certainly the ones I eat).

Also, if you do this for a group, a high percentage of the people there will think you're some sort of culinary genius.

• Like 1