Red Curry, Old Town Alexandria - Closed

100 King Street is now home to "Red Curry", from the owners of Mai Thai a few doors down.

Has anyone tried it yet? Heard from a passerby that it was good, but haven't been in myself. I wish them luck in this seemingly unlucky space.

I stopped by on its first night open a few months ago. We only walked in because they had a sign out front stating that it was their first night open to the public and frankly, I'd never been to a restaurant on the first night as a customer. Staff was incredibly enthusiastic, motivated and smiling ear to ear. Food was fine...nothing I'd write home about. but it did the trick for a quick dinner. I left wanting to go back after they got their feet wet a bit. (There were a few service snafus but I overlooked them very easily.)

I hope they're doing well. The owner/manager? checked on our table and seemed very concerned/nervous. He instantly became someone I was rooting for.

ETA: Their chili pepper signs on their menus signifying heat levels meant nothing. Heat levels were VERY low when I went. I assume that may have been the new cooks deciding to err on the side of caution.

I think this place is owned by the same people who operate Mai Thai. Why would anyone open up a second restaurant that close to the first is beyond me. The heat level is low and dumb down for average American, but at least the sauce wasn't watery and they have a spice rack that you can ask for to add more kicks to your food. I was pleasantly surprised by the sushi and maki here. The first time I went, the rice was cooked too soft, and the second time, it was the right texture. Both sweet shrimp and scallop nigiri had succulent sweet flesh, definitely worth the a la cart price. I also really like the use of fresh lump crab meat instead of imitation crab meat in their maki. I also want to add that their Thai ice tea is served in a generous mug, which is the first time I have been satisfied by the portion size of Thai ice tea.

I get take out from time to time here while Thai Old Town is closed (although a new thai place looks to be opening, I hope it is the same people). I generally like their curried noodles with chicken a lot. Also if you aren't feeling so good their tofu soup is nice with good broth, but not too much flavor for an unsettled stomach.

ktmoomau, have u tried Asian Bistro further up on King? Superior to both Red Curry and Thai Old Town (RIP, but what a dingy place that was).

No, I normally only have so far from my office that I can venture for lunch, or that co-workers are willing to pick up stuff from, but will have to keep it in mind, good?

Their rent was $23,000 per month... Slightly bordering criminal and I don't think any restaurant can afford that spot and expect to stay open. Even though they will eventually be closing the first 2 blocks of King Street and make it into a pedestrian promenade , I doubt anything other than a chain like Bubba Gumps or Cheesecake Factory could sustain..... And that is only with more Hotels and shops opening on the future development of the waterfront area

Their rent was $23,000 per month... Slightly bordering criminal and I don't think any restaurant can afford that spot and expect to stay open. Even though they will eventually be closing the first 2 blocks of King Street and make it into a pedestrian promenade , I doubt anything other than a chain like Bubba Gumps or Cheesecake Factory could sustain..... And that is only with more Hotels and shops opening on the future development of the waterfront area

Chains like those can write off the loss into their chain-wide PR expense, treat the restaurant's mere existence as a type of "commercial," and live with the fact that it won't turn a profit. Now, as to why Red Curry thought they could, that's another matter, and an interesting one (to me).