Best Restaurants For Large Groups?

bonaire

Hi Everyone. I'm relatively new to posting (have been a lurker for sometime) and figured this was the best group to pose this question to.

I'm looking for a place to hold a 30th birthday dinner. Will likely be 15-25 people. Any suggestions? DC or VA would be best, and good food and drink are a must. The crowd isn't rowdy but we're certainly not wallflowers either, so it would need to be somewhere where it's okay to not whisper).

Thank you!

Hi Everyone.  I'm relatively new to posting (have been a lurker for sometime) and figured this was the best group to pose this question to.

I'm looking for a place to hold a 30th birthday dinner.  Will likely be 15-25 people.  Any suggestions?  DC or VA would be best, and good food and drink are a must.  The crowd isn't rowdy but we're certainly not wallflowers either, so it would need to be somewhere where it's okay to not whisper).

Thank you!

I am sure that we can come up with a host of places, but it would be easier if we had a bit more info. How much do you want to spend and are there any restrictions on the type of food?

I am sure that we can come up with a host of places, but it would be easier if we had a bit more info.  How much do you want to spend and are there any restrictions on the type of food?

We're looking for something in the American/Italian/French food categories. Price isn't an issue. Dean, your private room sounds like it might be the place to go, and I've been dying to try it for awhile now!

Edited by Bonaire

We've had one good group dinner at 2941 a while back (and another this weekend). Although they do a limited menu for groups.

My company had a smaller Holiday dinner at Colvin Run Tavern last year and they did allow ordering off the full menu. The room we were in would hold 12, but I think they ahve another larger private room.

This year I have my eye on the cool looking glassed in private room at Charlie Palmer Steak that looks up at the Capitol Dome for our Holiday dinner. (uh oh, that's a chain, isn't it?)

Help!

I have a group of 9 including some runners that want pasta Saturday night before the race on Sunday, and there has been a suggestion of Buca Di Beppo of suiting the bill!! I am bucking this with all my might, but I need help coming up with places to call to see if they can accomodate us - again, looking for pasta (Italian). Already called Dino, looking at Sette Osteria - where else should I try?

Please help, I will cry if I have to go to Buca!!! <_<

Nope, Tosca's not out of the price range - thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, we want pasta - 10 miler isn't that big of a race I suppose, the reg. did close out so it should be packed, but it's not a marathon. But, it's our first time running A race, (my first time running 10 miles!) and we'd like a big pasta dinner before hand (need all the help I can get!) <_<

Nope, Tosca's not out of the price range - thanks  for the suggestion! 

Yeah, we want pasta - 10 miler isn't that big of a race I suppose, the reg. did close out so it should be packed, but it's not a marathon.  But, it's our first time running A race, (my first time running 10 miles!)  and we'd like a big pasta dinner before hand (need all the help I can get!)  <_<

While Tosca has good pasta I would not classify it as a big pasta dinner.

Big cheap pasta: San Marco in Adams Morgan. Mm mm mm.

You could get even bigger pasta at Pasta Mia, but since they don't take reservations, you'd have to go stand in line at, like, 5:30 to be first when they open at 6:30 for dinner.

Spezie would probably have room for you, they are hardly ever full, but I think the portions are on the small side.

All better options than Buca, at least, and I think both San Marco and Spezie are likely to have room.

Big cheap pasta: San Marco in Adams Morgan. Mm mm mm.

You could get even bigger pasta at Pasta Mia, but since they don't take reservations, you'd have to go stand in line at, like, 5:30 to be first when they open at 6:30 for dinner.

Spezie would probably have room for you, they are hardly ever full, but I think the portions are on the small side.

All better options than Buca, at least, and I think both San Marco and Spezie are likely to have room.

Really? San Marco is good? I have walked past many, many times, never really thought it could be that great, really, only due to it's locale on 18th. Would you say it's better than Otello's? I managed to score a res. there for tomorrow night, but am still not settled as I've never been there before and can be swayed.

I would totally do Pasta Mia, but am worried about the line plus the size of my party, and can't say for sure that we'd all be ready at 5:30...

Really?  San Marco is good?  I have walked past many, many times, never really thought it could be that great, really, only due to it's locale on 18th.  Would you say it's better than Otello's?  I managed to score a res. there for tomorrow night, but am still not settled as I've never been there before and can be swayed. 

I would totally do Pasta Mia, but am worried about the line plus the size of my party, and can't say for sure that we'd all be ready at 5:30...

Save yourself some grief and go to San Marco. Call 483-9300 and ask for Roberto, who will probably be the one to answer the phone anyway. The one meal I had at Otello's (which was about ten years ago), was fine but nothing to write home about. If you want carbs, San Marco also has some pretty good bread. Under NO circumstances should you go to Buca. Tell your compatriots that you want a break from the tourists and, OH BTW, you want decent food. <_<

Really? San Marco is good? I have walked past many, many times, never really thought it could be that great, really, only due to it's locale on 18th.
A very natural reaction to a place located above a pool hall. I had the same feeling for a long time.

The only thing I've ever eaten there that I didn't like was the vegetarian lasagna, which I didn't think had much taste to it. But every other pasta has been great, especially the agnolotti in walnut sauce. And Barbara is right about the bread.

Really?  San Marco is good?  I have walked past many, many times, never really thought it could be that great, really, only due to it's locale on 18th.  Would you say it's better than Otello's?  I managed to score a res. there for tomorrow night, but am still not settled as I've never been there before and can be swayed. 

Otello is your basic red-sauce Italian. I've been there many times for lunch and have always come out full after having had some kind of pasta or other. It's always been good.

Otello is your basic red-sauce Italian.  I've been there many times for lunch and have always come out full after having had some kind of pasta or other.  It's always been good.

San Marco offers many different kinds of pasta (and risotto) besides the red sauce. And I'll second the recommendation for the agnolotti. BTW, the restaurant was there long before the pool hall opened up. <_<