Restaurant Correspondence Expectations

kmm

What is a reasonable expectation for correspondence from a restaurant? I recently sent a thank you email to an owner and the chef of an establishment. I have yet to hear a response. Even if they do not answer a question in the note an acknowledgement seems appropriate. Is this "lack of communication" a DC thing? There are restaurants we frequent in other parts of the country and always receive replies. I find it odd that we have better rapports outside of the area we live!

What is a reasonable expectation for correspondence from a restaurant? I recently sent a thank you email to an owner and the chef of an establishment. I have yet to hear a response. Even if they do not answer a question in the note an acknowledgement seems appropriate. Is this "lack of communication" a DC thing? There are restaurants we frequent in other parts of the country and always receive replies. I find it odd that we have better rapports outside of the area we live!

I've never sent a note to any restaurant. What do you hope to receive when you send these notes? (I grew up in another country and there are many things native-born Americans do that I would never think about doing). Nevertheless, I can't think of any circumstance that I would respond to a thank you note.

What types of establishments? Family-owned, chains, both?

And rather than a DC-thing, might this be an "any big city" thing? I was not clear if the other parts of the country were also big cities.

I'm wondering if:

1. they want to write you back but can't, due to lean-times staffing plans or lack of repeatable correspondence process (insert six sigma nunchaku here).
  2. or if it's that they do not want to write you back, because they don't see that kind of communication and relationship-building as a priority.

Would be interesting to know, but it probably varies based on the restaurant.

I am sensitive to potential time constraints and assume that is the situation. The place in question is "high-end". Whatever the reason - it makes me want to spend hundreds of dollars elsewhere!

This past spring we visited a restaurant in Charleston for the first time based on a recommendation from a server in another Charleston place. I exchanged an email with the sommelier before hand to decant a wine. They must have a CRM system and added my email. When I set up a reservation for 6 months later I received an email from the chef wanting to know what they could do to make the night special. I was blown away even if it is someone pretending to be the chef. The occasion is for a big life event and I do not imagine that they reach out for every reservation but we had only been there once before. We have had countless encounters in other cities where an establishment goes out of their way but I have never had one in my home city!

ps

In any country I'd imagine it is thoughtful and polite to acknowledge a job well down!

I am sensitive to potential time constraints and assume that is the situation. The place in question is "high-end". Whatever the reason - it makes me want to spend hundreds of dollars elsewhere!

This past spring we visited a restaurant in Charleston for the first time based on a recommendation from a server in another Charleston place. I exchanged an email with the sommelier before hand to decant a wine. They must have a CRM system and added my email. When I set up a reservation for 6 months later I received an email from the chef wanting to know what they could do to make the night special. I was blown away even if it is someone pretending to be the chef. The occasion is for a big life event and I do not imagine that they reach out for every reservation but we had only been there once before. We have had countless encounters in other cities where an establishment goes out of their way but I have never had one in my home city!

ps

In any country I'd imagine it is thoughtful and polite to acknowledge a job well down!

Unless the question in your note really seemed to require an answer (which it sounds like it didn't), I don't think it's odd not to reply to a thank you note. Who knows? They may appreciate it and flag you in their system for extra special treatment on your next visit, similar to what you report above. If you don't go back because they didn't reply to your thank you, you won't find that out, though.

...In any country I'd imagine it is thoughtful and polite to acknowledge a job well down!

It's more than polite, it's the right kind of vibe to be sending out into the universe. Keep doing it. You might not hear back on the exact correspondence, but it may have more impact than you know.

(metaphysical mysteries, the mini-series)

(now starring)

(random kindness)

My thought here is that the nature of the "Thank You" note is to respond to an act...be it one of kindness, great service, etc.

B/c the restaurant already provided something that was worth giving thanks for, it seems somewhat superfluous for the restaurant to respond to the thank you.

very specific question and only the chef should/could answer.

one sentence reply would suffice and would be painless!

i attended a seminar 15 years ago hosted by an internationally known individual. he talked about how he makes every effort respond to any communication even before he was famous. after he became known he still followed that same principle. that really made an impression on me.

i appreciate everyone's response!

On this note, but very different. I had a really bad experience at a relatively new place, twice in a row. On the second time I had my dog with me and there wasn't a good opportunity to speak with a manager. So I sent them an email addressing what happened and my concerns. Never heard back. Which is odd, since they have a contact us email on their website and they seem to be pretty active online. At this point it is so far gone in time I don't want to call. I don't expect anything from the restaurant, a sorry would have been nice, but whatever, I just wanted them to fix some mistakes. Should you generally assume emails won't get answered and call? Because if you email you can be more detailed than a voicemail, and I hate playing phone tag, but if they don't respond then the action that happened can be a ways back in time.

Gratitude should not be given with an expectation of reciprocation...

Agreed. Reminds me a bit of either Pee Wee's Playhouse or Big Adventure (can't remember which), where Pee Wee starts sending thank you notes for thank you notes in an effort to get more mail. I could understand quick answer to a question if asked, but I would not expect anything else.

Agreed. Reminds me a bit of either Pee Wee's Playhouse or Big Adventure (can't remember which), where Pee Wee starts sending thank you notes for thank you notes in an effort to get more mail. I could understand quick answer to a question if asked, but I would not expect anything else.

totally agree with that statement!

if there was not a question in it i would not feel blown off by no response. i can not be even certain if it was received.

at the end of the day i have limited resources and guess i have a certain expectation on how i will use them...

totally agree with that statement!

if there was not a question in it i would not feel blown off by no response. i can not be even certain if it was received.

at the end of the day i have limited resources and guess i have a certain expectation on how i will use them...

Email delivery is not guaranteed. Aggressive SPAM filters and such could have sent it to the circular file. Folks also get busy and don't reply immediately and make a mental note to do it later, only to forget. I guess that has not happened to you. Perhaps another email, with proper acknowledgement of it being sent again, might do the trick.

kmm: this is nobody's business but yours so don't feel like you need to post your specific question or give any more details than the crux of your topic or curiosity of whether one should expect a response from your thank you note.

If you and Ericandblueboy would like to take this offline, please feel free to use the PM function.

from Chef of that restaurant to the GM, here is a very possible conversation;

Chef: hey GM, I received this email. Make sure to share with the staff at the meeting.

GM: Yes sir

GM at the staff meeting: Guys, I`m proud of you. This is a very kind `Thank you` letter from one of our guests dined here last week. Great Job! This is our goal every time with every one of our guests. Keep up the good work. Hostess, please put a note in their profile so we will keep an eye next time they are dining and make sure to give them a couple glasses of champagne. Thanks again guys!!!...

Many thank you notes don`t require a reply. Happiness is to be shared.