Guess What's For Dinner

leleboo

You got the veg right -- sautéed green beans and mushrooms with soy and garlic -- but not the main!

Don't tell us the soy and garlic part - I was going to try and guess it.

^ breaded chicken breast with romesco?

I agree with this, but I think she put a bit of pesto in the breading (see bottom part of chicken breast), not so much for color (the green beans (not haricots verts, right?) have that covered (and as a curiosity and not a value judgment, why do you not pull the fiber off?) as a little extra dimension of flavor? Thing is, I don't see the green in the north part of the chicken breast. It is a boneless, skinless breast from Harris Teeter, yes? And the mushrooms were sliced fresh buttons? It's hard to tell given the somewhat even distribution, but I don't think a package of green beans and buttons would have this many mushrooms in it, so I'm guessing home cut. Fresh, mashed garlic, but not much of it? I don't see any dry chips. Now, as to whether this is a classic romesco ...

I think she put a bit of pesto in the breading (see bottom part of chicken breast), not so much for color (the green beans (not haricots verts, right?) have that covered (and as a curiosity and not a value judgment, why do you not pull the fiber off?) as a little extra dimension of flavor? Thing is, I don't see the green in the north part of the chicken breast. It is a boneless, skinless breast from Harris Teeter, yes? And the mushrooms were sliced fresh buttons? It's hard to tell given the somewhat even distribution, but I don't think a package of green beans and buttons would have this many mushrooms in it, so I'm guessing home cut. Fresh, mashed garlic, but not much of it? I don't see any dry chips. Now, as to whether this is a classic romesco ...

No pesto, just lots of parsley. Homemade breadcrumbs from a non-homemade baguette.

Romesco: more of homemade breadcrumbs, garlic, sherry vinegar, smoked paprika, roasted red peppers, toasted almonds, s&p.

The chicken was a boneless, skinless breast, from Whole Foods.

The mushrooms were sliced/chopped creminis, fresh, and the beans (also from Whole Foods) were labeled "haricots verts" (in a cello pack, fresh, not already prepared). I find with the skinny beans, I don't need to pull the fiber off. Also I get lazy. :)

Garlic: fresh, minced (ok, pressed -- I love my garlic press).

I like this thread ... this will be fun!

No pesto, just lots of parsley.

I like this thread ... this will be fun!

In case anyone (like me) thinks pesto (instead of parsley) was a lame guess, it's because there's some bleeding at 7 PM which led me to believe it was a bit of (surely store-bought) "sauce" and not an "herb."

I like it too - it's a chance for me to show off as a pedantic tool, and it's like a blind wine tasting without the alcohol.

(In my next life, I'm going to be a radiologist and diagnose all sorts of rare conditions that don't exist, probably killing half the patients that submit me an MRI film.)

"Often wrong; never in doubt."

Dr. Rockwell

Pork tenderloin, snow peas, and shiitakes, with scallions, stir-fried with chili-garlic sauce, hoisin sauce, and five-spice powder, over steamed sprouted brown rice. So I think Don may have had it right that it was a more Chinese dish, but I'm not sure why the sauce "looked" Thai (?). :)

Pork tenderloin, snow peas, and shiitakes, with scallions, stir-fried with chili-garlic sauce, hoisin sauce, and five-spice powder, over steamed sprouted brown rice. So I think Don may have had it right that it was a more Chinese dish, but I'm not sure why the sauce "looked" Thai (?). :)

Because most of us think "Chinese" food has gloppy sauces and Thai food doesn't. Your dish doesn't look the least bit gloppy.

Because most of us think "Chinese" food has gloppy sauces and Thai food doesn't. Your dish doesn't look the least bit gloppy.

Thank you! It wasn't gloppy at all. It was actually pretty darn delicious.

I'm currently trying to use up all the food in my freezer. I have a frozen flank steak that I will probably give the same treatment as this pork, because I still have some of the sauces left, too. I will aim for non-gloppy again. :)

Rigatoni. I think the herb is parsley. The cheese looks younger and fresher than parmigiano reggiano. Pecorino toscano? Impossible to tell what the sauce is. It all looks delicious.

Mine: yes to parsley, and it was Parmigiano-Reggiano, done with a microplane. The sauce was a homemade bison ragu: ground bison, mirepoix, crushed tomatoes and tomatoe paste, rosemary-thyme-garlic, red wine (I think a cab sauv) and beef stock. I'd have gone bolognese but I didn't have any milk in and wasn't about it buy some just for a use-up-what's-in-the-freezer-and-fridge-before-moving sauce. :)

Yours looks awesome but I'm going to let other people guess the exact ingredients!

Well, it's swiss chard, a Yukon gold potato, perhaps cabbage or maybe chinese celery, and beast braised in red wine with mushrooms...or maybe a borsht-style sauce?, oh, and some sour cream on the side.

I hadn't thought the sauce might be beets (borscht-y) but the creme fraiche/sour cream may create that idea. I thought beef stew, but then was for some inexplicable reason convinced the meat was lamb.

Actually, the thing that looks like cabbage is a leek. Yes chard, yes a yukon gold potato, boiled, with a good gob of butter. The dark glop is goulash, so not really braised but stewed (no browning), beef and lots of onions and paprika. No mushrooms. Yes sour cream. This was actually from several weeks ago, and I don't distinctly remember why I put both chard and leek on the plate, but I was probably using up bits of leftovers. The goulash was intensely delicious.

post-6363-0-17275400-1325521320_thumb.jp

Green beans looking sauteed, maybe with a little garlic, thinly sliced cucumber with scallion and green chili looking sort of marinated, maybe a little vinegar? Oh man, the protein slab could be a piece of tuna. Or veal. Or pork loin. But I'm going with tuna, with sesame seeds.

Green beans looking sauteed, maybe with a little garlic, thinly sliced cucumber with scallion and green chili looking sort of marinated, maybe a little vinegar? Oh man, the protein slab could be a piece of tuna. Or veal. Or pork loin. But I'm going with tuna, with sesame seeds.

Missing an ingredient on the green beans and didn't quite get the protein right -- hint: it's one of the other ones you mentioned -- plus, what else is on it besides sesame?

Still, you are really, really good at this. Either your visual acuity is superhuman, or you're sneaking into my kitchen. :)

Missing an ingredient on the green beans and didn't quite get the protein right -- hint: it's one of the other ones you mentioned -- plus, what else is on it besides sesame?

Still, you are really, really good at this. Either your visual acuity is superhuman, or you're sneaking into my kitchen. smile.png

No, I just have spies everywhere. Anyway, pork loin with some kind of glazy sauce with sesame seeds. I have no idea what's in the sauce, but I'll make a wild guess and say it's got orange juice. Some soy sauce on the green beans maybe?

No, I just have spies everywhere. Anyway, pork loin with some kind of glazy sauce with sesame seeds. I have no idea what's in the sauce, but I'll make a wild guess and say it's got orange juice. Some soy sauce on the green beans maybe?

Cider vinegar and honey glaze on the pork. Soy sauce on the green beans, yep!

I'm not taking that spy comment lightly now ... ;)

Chicken or fish with a salty and sweet relish/sauce of golden raisins and olives.

Broccolini- roasted?

Nailed the veg. And really, nailed it on the main, too -- it's orange roughy, and the warm relish is golden raisins, olives, shallots, and parsley!

You have been blocked from following this account at the request of the user.

Thanks a lot Don.

Really?!

First one to name it (in this thread, not on Twitter) ... I'll buy it for you (Jake Parrott not eligible).

post-2-0-91324400-1343162927_thumb.jpg

---

53 viewers, and not a nibble. Is it that hard?

Edited by DonRocks

Some sort of mackerel, saba or aji probably.

No, no, and no (but this is an honorable guess).

Would anyone like a hint?

---

Okay, I'll start adding a hint every few minutes ...

1. All that glitters is not gold.

2. Mary Ann, not Ginger.

3. The clenched hand is rounded.

4. No grater love.

5. It is the end of July.

6. Vegans should avoid the pipe. Getting warm, JuneBacon

7. Your skin has peeled. Getting warm too, lperry (*No* grater love)

8. That's not soy sauce; it's aged Balsamico. dcandohio, think more seasonal

9. This sweet, juicy dish *screams* summer. lperry, you're red hot on top

10. Both of the primary ingredients grow on vines.

Edited by DonRocks

Eel? OK, carrots, then? No carrots, even with the gold reference? OK, then. Grated and peeled. Celery root.

Oop. End of July. Yam? Certainly nobody around here is serving yacon.

OK, roasted pepper with piped cheese of some sort. Mostly because now I'm hungry, and that's what that picture makes me want to eat.

Now that I look again, it seems awfully like the inside of a tomato fruit wall... A schmancy Caprese?

OK, so chilies roasted, peeled, and set atop piped cheese.

Peppers over tomatoes with cruciferous sprouts and a pesto "wasabi."

Far be it from me to suggest that the skills of the photographer are somewhat to blame.... ;) I never would have known that was watermelon. Or mint. Mint microgreens - something to think about.

Thanks for the puzzle. :) It's been a week, and it's only Tuesday. Nice to have a diversion.

Oh, *no* doubt the photographer had dodgy skills - if that was a clear picture, this would have taken twenty seconds (I was hoping the shape of the watermelon might give it away). Yes, definite props to dcandohio.

There is no way to tell the wasabi is goat cheese.

Ron Tanaka knocked the conception of this dish out of the park. He's using parsley to herb the goat cheese; I suggested basil, and he liked the idea in principal. Vegetarians should be racing here and ordering this, plus the zucchini entree for $19 - I know "zucchini" doesn't sound like much, but it's a composed plate that's complex, multidimensional, and amazing - polenta, squash blossom fritters, etc.