Specialty Food Stores

porcupine

Here's a link to a map of specialty food stores.

As with the other maps, send suggestions of places to add. Small grocery stores okay, but mostly the focus is on independent shops where you'd go to find something unusual or extraordinary. I didn't include the big Asian markets as they fall into the grocery store category. If anyone wants to collaborate let me know and I'll add you to the collaborator list. If any moderators think this and the Good Cheese map worthy, please pin them or copy them to the index - thanks.

La Cuisine in Old Town is mainly an equipment store, but they do have lots of baking supplies as well as oils, vinegars, spices, unusual grains, etc. It's hard to get out of there with an intact wallet, but that's half the fun.

P & C Market on Capitol Hill is rather small but has an impressive collection of specialty items. Their website is set up for online shopping and I don't know that it's that representative of what's in the store.

1023 East Capitol Street, SE

Your mention of P&C reminds me to mention Timor Bodega, as well. It's on Rhode Island Avenue near (in?) Petworth and is alternatively called "Field2City".

Your mention of P&C reminds me to mention Timor Bodega, as well. It's on Rhode Island Avenue near (in?) Petworth and is alternatively called "Field2City".

They officially changed name to Field2City last year at some point (they offer a kind of a la carte CSA now under that name). They still have a web presence at Timor, though, so it's kind of confusing. I have no idea if this site is still functional or not. SW intersection of Rhode Island and 2nd NW; neighborhood is Bloomingdale/Ledroit Park

Very helpful compilation -thanks, Porcupine!

A few additions:

Grape + Bean Old Town, (118 S Royal St, Alexandria VA 22314)

Grateful Red, (1025 N. Fillmore St. Arlington, VA 22201) - Screwtop's new retail space

Let's Meat on the Avenue, (2403 Mt. Vernon Ave, Alexandria VA 22301)

Not sure if you want to get into the olive oil realm, but here are a few:

Olio Tasting Room, (1223 King St, Alexandria VA 22314)

Ah Love Oil and Vinegar, (4017B Campbell Avenue, Arlington, VA 22206)

Hana doesn't seem to have a website, just an uninformative Facebook page. It turns out that the Yelp page has the info:

http://www.yelp.com/...rket-washington

You can find all sorts of obscure (to me) items plus a huge variety of miso and noodles of all sorts. Not to mention Japanese rice. They also have a section of other types of Asian canned and jarred items--mostly Thai. The space is small (think a smaller 7-11), but a wide variety of the stuff they carry. And, it's right on the corner of 17th and U Sts., in the same building as the Japan Travel Agency.

Thanks for all the additional items. Goldenticket, please tell me more about Grateful Red, and Barbara, please tell me more about Hana. And if someone can verify that Field2City is a still-operational storefront with specialty items, thanks.

I must admit that I haven't been in Grateful Red yet, but it seems like it will fall into the same category as Grape + Bean. Wine, beer, cheese, charcuterie, and gift items. It's the retail counterpart to Screwtop Wine Bar. They are still in their soft open phase, but I'll try to pop my head in sometime soon.

Updated (added Kielbasa Factory, too) Thanks for all the additional recommendations and descriptions (especially a detailed message from goldenticket). The map is becoming ethnic-loaded, which makes me wonder about the distinction we make between "ethnic", "specialty", "gourmet", etc. Still, the neat thing is that I never realized just how much the DC area has to offer!

DaRiv18: please let me know when it is; I don't get to that part of town very often.

saf: I was mulling that over. It would be very easy for "specialty" to become "ethnic"; I know I started down that path already with Hana and Kielbasa factory. Possibly I should define each term and create separate maps...

Hm. How about Yekta (Persian)? http://yekta.com/abo...upermarket/ Is it too big?

Also in the same shopping center, a Russian place called either "European Delight" or "European Bazaar." Nice little place.

Decidedly not. Yekta Market can't be more than 200 square feet. Great source of cheap Persian/Middle Eastern spices.

European Delight has a great collection of Eastern European charcuterie.Both are at 1488 Rockville Pike.

Add in the presence of Joe's and Yekta Kabobi this is one of the great mini-collections of food providers that we have. (Unfortunately, an outpost of Mi Rancho lowers the overall score)

Porcupine already added my next selection - Kielbasa Factory. Easily the best kielbasa that I've found in DC.

I would add Thai Market (902 Thayer Ave, SS) to the list. It's the source of just about all of my Thai kitchen needs. The takeout in the same spot serves some of the best Thai food in Monkey County.

FInally, Goldberg's is my favorite place for a Sunday bagel run (3 locations --4824-26 Boiling Brook Parkway,Rockville, MD 20852;

9328 Georgia Ave.,Silver Spring, MD 20910;7731 Tuckerman Lane,Potomac, MD 20854)

Also realized that we've been ignoring some of dr's own members starting with Artisan Confections (http://artisanconfections.com/) 1025 N. Fillmore Street, Arlington, VA 22201

It's a darn good thing for my ample enough waistline that I live on the other side of the river.

That one is on the confections map.

Trying to draw category boundaries is the kind of thing that makes me crazy when trying to do something like this. I just give up :ph34r: .

DaRiv18: please let me know when it is; I don't get to that part of town very often.

According to their FB page, in 29 days. It will also feature Red Apron charcuterie, an oyster bar, Oh Pickles, Gina C's adult soda shop, Metrocurean's shop, and a bunch of others that I can't recall offhand.

Very nice space, I missed the James Beard dinner there but had fun at the rainy summer picnic event last month (my personal highlife was spicy noodles from the Source).

Plus- finally, a retail outpost of Lyon Bakery!

According to their FB page, in 29 days. It will also feature Red Apron charcuterie, an oyster bar, Oh Pickles, Gina C's adult soda shop, Metrocurean's shop, and a bunch of others that I can't recall offhand.

Very nice space, I missed the James Beard dinner there but had fun at the rainy summer picnic event last month (my personal highlife was spicy noodles from the Source).

I've decided to split this into two maps, Specialty and Ethnic. The difference is this: ethnic food stores tend to have everything related to that one nationality/cuisine, from fresh ingredients, dry goods, canned and jarred goods, fresh prepared items, candies, things for the homesick expat and so on. Specialty food stores tend to be pan-ethnic but sell certain types of food: charcuterie, or the kinds of jarred and boxed goods that go with cheeses, or oils and vinegars, or so on. Sure, there can be some crossover.

Keep the suggestions coming. There are a whole bunch of Indian markets that I need to look up. I know there are dozens of other places.

Ethnic Food Stores

Specialty Food Stores

Union Market is opening Sept 8th, and I will be opening Righteous Cheese! The market will be only open on weekends for the month of September, then full-force starting in October. Righteous Cheese will have a retail counter as well as a 10-seat bar where you can post up to try different cheese & beer and cheese & wine flights.

I am so excited for this market. It's going to be killer. That's the main reason I decided to open a bricks-and-mortar shop there.

In addition to those mentioned earlier, it will have Rapahannock Oyster Co (the oyster bar), Harvey's Butcher Shop, Trickling Springs Creamery, Takorean, DC Empanadas, Buffalo & Bergen (Gina's bar), Cordial WInes, Peregrine Espresso, several produce vendors...

if you want more info, links:

Righteous Cheese

Union Market

thanks guys, hope to see you soon.

Oh and if you come by please introduce yourself!

Union Market is opening Sept 8th, and I will be opening Righteous Cheese! The market will be only open on weekends for the month of September, then full-force starting in October. Righteous Cheese will have a retail counter as well as a 10-seat bar where you can post up to try different cheese & beer and cheese & wine flights.

I am so excited for this market. It's going to be killer. That's the main reason I decided to open a bricks-and-mortar shop there.

In addition to those mentioned earlier, it will have Rapahannock Oyster Co (the oyster bar), Harvey's Butcher Shop, Trickling Springs Creamery, Takorean, DC Empanadas, Buffalo & Bergen (Gina's bar), Cordial WInes, Peregrine Espresso, several produce vendors...

if you want more info, links:

Righteous Cheese

Union Market

thanks guys, hope to see you soon.

Oh and if you come by please introduce yourself!

One month in and I feel UM is a great visit and has the chance to be really special. Still, a lot of suspense it's not clear which pop-up vendors will stay on more permanently, so it is hard to envision the future But hopefully this continues to build and build, I'd rather have a successful UM than a second outpost of Eataly. Lots of introductory pricing going on with the butchers and produce stands, I got some discounted prices at Harvey's and Eco-Friendly Farm today.

Neopol has a great smoked salmon bagel and Rappahonnock Oyster Bar is a hard seat to come by. I enjoyed some outstanding scallops today. Trickling Springs will be solvent on my daughter's ice cream consumption alone. Will definitely try Righteous next time!!

One month in and I feel UM is a great visit and has the chance to be really special. Still, a lot of suspense it's not clear which pop-up vendors will stay on more permanently, so it is hard to envision the future But hopefully this continues to build and build, I'd rather have a successful UM than a second outpost of Eataly. Lots of introductory pricing going on with the butchers and produce stands, I got some discounted prices at Harvey's and Eco-Friendly Farm today.

Neopol has a great smoked salmon bagel and Rappahonnock Oyster Bar is a hard seat to come by. I enjoyed some outstanding scallops today. Trickling Springs will be solvent on my daughter's ice cream consumption alone. Will definitely try Righteous next time!!

The market (and Righteous Cheese) will be much more solid by the time we hit the grand opening on November 10th. Right now they're still building some spaces, and everyone is slowly opening up shop. Righteous Cheese has a small amount of cheese available right now, but that will kick in full force (ie a cheese counter with approx 70 different cheeses) come mid-November.

Say hi next time you come by!

-Carolyn