Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Last night was arepas with pulled pork, cojito cheese, cilantro, and avocado. The pulled pork was excellent and will be good in sandwiches too. I hadn't made arepas in a while and followed a recipe online rather than the one on the masarepa package. They always came out fine when I made the recipe on the package, but these came out too dry and some broke apart.

Shrimp, leek, and spinach pasta (from Real Simple magazine - gemelli pasta with sauteed leeks and shrimp, with a very light lemon-cream sauce and some wilted spinach). Felt so good to be eating veggies, and I am thrilled to have leftovers for lunch today.

Whatever wine was left in the fridge - I think we had a sauv blanc and a pinot gris. Whatever they were, they tasted fab after a long day.

Chicken pot pie with leftover roasted chicken, lots of leftover vegs and herbs and Pillsbury crust joozed up with a Dijon egg glaze and rosemary.

That crust is gorgeous!

Last night we had heaps of roasted broccoli and asparagus with some hot pepper flakes, and my husband also had a pulled pork sandwich on a toasted potato bun.

Holy Basil again at the Thai market this week (Bangkok 54)

Tuesday night, beef with holy basil (Nuea pad grapao เนื้อผัดใบà¸à¸°à¹€à¸žà¸£à¸²) with crispy fried egg (with runny yolk) on top of brown jasmine rice.

Wednesday, jungle curry with chicken, eggplant and holy basil (gaeng ba gai à¹à¸à¸‡à¸›à¹ˆà¸²à¹„à¸à¹ˆ). It was face melting hot (oops), wife could not eat it but I enjoyed the thrill.

Last night, chicken with holy basil, an omelet, and a festival of leftovers (five spice pork, tom yum chicken, jungle curry), rice.

• Like 2

Crispy chicken salad with pickles and lima beans, from Real Simple magazine - this is one of my favorites. It has everything - crunchy, creamy, acidic, yum!

Eating while watching TV for the first time I moved back - yay for getting our cable and internet hooked up today!

Something Eco-Friendly calls finoccio [missing the "h" of "finocchio"?] which appears to be a hybrid sort of like what Ben Stiller might have been had Ann Meara had married Dino instead of Jerry: pork shoulder rubbed with crushed fennel and juniper and corned.

Cut into a thin slabs and cooked until fat translucent and ruddy flesh speckled and browned. A little broth. A little cream. Squeeze of lemon just to scrap up bits stuck to pan and make a little sauce. Bedded a trio on a beautiful bunch Hakurai turnips, sliced and quickly braised with green garlic and their own greens. Chives.

Good when nights cool down, but now that leaves replace blossoms on dogwood trees, the season of pork is drawing to a close.

last night:

Next Step salad greens with meyer lemon vinaigrette

Eco-friendly pork rib chops, herb-brined and applewood smoke+charcoal grilled

z's q sauce

mushroom-green garlic duxelles (crimini, oyster, porcini powder) served on top of Crook's Corner stone ground grits "cheese'd" with cave aged cheddar and reggiano

Next Step collards, cooked North Carolina-style (according to my daughter) with Benton's bacon, onion, brown sugar, red pepper and cider vinegar

avocado chocolate mousse

2010 blockheadia ringnosii pinot noir

a revelation to my brother, visiting from L.A. who thought he didn't care for pork chops or collard greens and who hadn't tasted my bbq sauce.

• Like 1

Baguette and unsalted butter

Broiled flounder with butter, lemon and dill

Baked orzo with chard, feta and dill

Flounder was my mother's favorite fish. If it was on a menu when we ate out, she would almost certainly order it. My feelings aren't quite as strong, but sometimes I get sentimental about foods I associate with my parents. (I noticed flounder carried a "yellow" label at Whole Foods, but I bought it anyway.)

Baguette and unsalted butter
Broiled flounder with butter, lemon and dill
Baked orzo with chard, feta and dill
Flounder was my mother's favorite fish. If it was on a menu when we ate out, she would almost certainly order it. My feelings aren't quite as strong, but sometimes I get sentimental about foods I associate with my parents. (I noticed flounder carried a "yellow" label at Whole Foods, but I bought it anyway.)

That made me think about foods that make me sentimental, and now I'm sitting at the computer crying over my Grandmother's biscuits. (In the best way.) We should start a thread.

• Like 1

tiny radishes with dill butter and coarse salt

porcinis sauteed with a little garlic in extra virgin olive oil and butter

morels sauteed with a little garlic in extra virgin olive oil and butter

Fleur de Maquis (an herb-rubbed, mold covered cheese), just starting to get runny

toasted slices of palladin from Praline

chocolates from Artisan for dessert

• Like 1

Last night I made an asparagus omelet with aged gouda and shredded raw beets with a ginger/organge vinaigrette.

I am having a huge problem this week with sandy asparagus -- and I have never encountered it before till now. I soak, I blanch, I swish -- still grit. Suggestions?

Pam

www.arcadiafood.org

I am having a huge problem this week with sandy asparagus -- and I have never encountered it before till now. I soak, I blanch, I swish -- still grit. Suggestions?

Soak in a bucket of seawater with a little bit of cornmeal for a day or two, until they spit out all their sand? B)

I've never encountered this problem--obviously these spears were grown in very sandy soil--but the clam concept may not be so far off the mark. I'd say try soaking overnight in salted water in a tall vase, tips down. The salt may draw enough water out of the cells of the tips that they contract a little bit and let go of the trapped sand.

dinner last night:

charcoal grilled strip steak

grilled ramps

grilled broccoli

cheese grits and mushroom duxelle, revisited

2010 Catena Zapata malbec

Quick pickled radishes, cucumber, and scallions

Soft pork tacos with cilantro, Hatch chile, avocado, and sour cream sauce

Soft flank steak tacos with cilantro, Hatch chile, avocado, and sour cream sauce

Refried beans with Hatch chiles

White rice

I found a stash of roasted chiles in my freezer last week. I'm usually careful with packaging, but these weren't packaged very well and had been in there for a couple years. They had started to acquire a freezer smell but, despite the accumulation of ice crystals in the bag, weren't really freezer burned. I usually freeze them with the skin still on, which seemed to help in this case. After I peeled and seeded them, I soaked them in several changes of clean water, and they recovered fairly well. No more freezer smell. Now I'm trying to use them all up. Once I finish with these in the refrigerator, there's still another bundle in the freezer in the same condition.

Yesterday morning, I cooked some overnight soaked chickpeas with aromatics and a little bit of baking soda. They were creamy and delicious on their own for lunch. For dinner, I used some Ottolenghi _Jerusalem_ recipes for inspiration, and made a meatless monday soup with the chickpeas and Israeli cous cous, green garlic, roasted tomato, roasted red pepper, Tuscan kale, preserved lemon, harissa, cumin, sumac, topped with chopped parsley. (I cheated a little and used some home made chicken stock.)

On the side we had labneh with green garlic and cucumbers, spicy olives, and flat bread with nigella seed that I'd bought at Yekta Market, which I lightly toasted, cut into wedges, drizzled with olive oil and za'atar.

2009 Tilenus Bierzo

Just to make things exciting, just as we finished eating, I distractedly rubbed my eye with a finger I'd used to pick up a chile-spiced olive. Whoo-eee! that smarts!

last night:

herb brined eco-friendly turkey thigh, smoke-roasted over charcoal and applewood chips

z's q sauce

fava/corn/roasted red pepper succotash

mashed potatoes

2008 Diamond Ridge pinot noir

tonight:

smoked baby eggplants stuffed with a mixture of eco-friendly ground rose veal, roasted pepper, fennel, onion, green garlic, basmati rice, feta, cumin, ras el hanout, pimenton, harissa, mint, parsley, cilantro

haricots verts with garlic and lemon

cucumbers with yogurt, garlic, lemon, jalapeño and parsley

2011 Juan Gil dry muscat

• Like 1

Thursday

Pulled pork nachos with Hatch chiles

Spare ribs with NC bbq/mop sauce

Last night

Red leaf lettuce salad with radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes, bacon, and croutons; mustard vinaigrette

Salmon with sauteed cherry tomatoes, garlic, and basil

Leftover white rice

Tonight

Lettuces, pea shoots, radishes, cucumbers, tomatoes; buttermilk dressing

Leftover spare ribs

Creamed spinach

pan seared eco-friendly beef liver with benton's bacon, sauteed crimini mushrooms and pan sauce of onions, balsamic vinegar, dry marsala, veal stock, green garlic, thyme and parsley

mashed potatoes

haricots verts with lemon

2009 Alain Paret St. Joseph Les Larmes du Pére

Wednesday, Kachin chicken curry and carrot salad (from Burma, rivers of flavor), rice. This curry turned out really tasty. It's a curry paste of dried red chillies (I used 5, seeded and soaked, recipe just says seeded but soaking makes them easier to grind in the mortar) salt, ginger, garlic, turmeric (I used fresh because I had some, recipe calls for dried), and coriander seeds. Mix with pieces of chicken chopped through the bone with a little bit of water (I used homemade stock cause I could) and steamed for an hour and 15 minutes or so.

Thursday, roasted eggplant salad ยำมะเขือยาว (eggplant, beef, shallots, fried shallots, roasted chickpea flour, peanuts, culantro, mint, kaffir lime leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, chillies, palm sugar), leftover chicken curry, rice.

Friday, beef laap ลาบเนื้อ (shallots, mint [from the garden, it's growing like crazy], culantro, slivered kaffir lime leaves, sliced lemongrass, roasted galanga, roasted rice powder, roasted prik-ee-nu chilli powder, lime juice, fish sauce) ผักคะน้าน้ำมันหอย Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce and smoked tofu, rice

Saturday, Sri Lankan sauteed greens (mallung) and chicken curry (kukul mas), rice

visiting in NYC and gathering ingredients from Tompkins Square farmers market and Essex Market. Prepared a three hour braise in my SIL's kitchen.Heritage pork shank, country ham and bacon bits and pieces, onion, fennel, carrots dried porcini, roasted red pepper, marble sized new potatoes, canned tomatoes, wine, nettles, kale, garbanzos, aromatic herbs. Served with green garlic gremolata, grated pecorino Romano and reggiano, and rustic French bread.

2005 Marques de Vittoria Rioja

Laboratorio de Gelato coffee and mint gelati

Last night:

Pork belly confit, from Ad Hoc at Home, plus a few seared scallops. I made the pork belly last weekend and on furlough day #1 :angry: but hadn't had a chance during the week to fry any of it up. It was worth the effort, though I think I would only do it maybe a couple of times a year because of the effort and amount of lard. :D

Salad of watercress, cara cara orange, graprefruit, pecans and dried cranberries, to cut the richness. From Cook's Illustrated.

cream of asparagus soup (made with leftover asparagus ends from the previous night's dinner and fennel broth); once or twice a year I wish I had a chinois, and this was one of those times, but I managed to get it smooth enough with a food mill and strainer.

egg salad with capers, picholine olives, homemade mayonnaise, parsley, dill, espelette pepper.

palladin from Praline

Fever Tree tonic water with lime

chocolates from Artisan for dessert

Salad platter: bed of frisee, layer of quartered Campari tomatoes, sliced Easter egg radishes, sliced cucumbers, and cubed avocado; layer of pea shoots; layer of steamed asparagus spears; topped with shredded fresh mozzarella and grated hard-boiled egg; apple cider vinaigrette

Leftover chicken (wing, drumstick)

Leftover spare ribs

I was quite impressed with my salad platter ;) . It looked so seasonal (except for the tomatoes) and beautiful, and it was absolutely delicious.

Last night -

Chicken with garlic and almond sauce (very Spanish - the sauce had garlic, onions, almonds, saffron, dry white wine, yummy yummy)

Steamed sugar snaps

Garlic knots

Should have made some rice to sop up all of the sauce - anything with saffron, I just don't want to waste a drop!

Raspberries, toasted walnuts, brie, and pear over red leaf lettuce and pea shoots, with vidalia bulb slices and white balsamic vinaigrette

Potato and cheese pierogies fried with bacon and vidalia onion bulbs and greens

• Like 1

Fresh porcini (Court House market) sauteed in butter with a very small amount of chopped shallot, fresh thyme, and a final squirt of lemon. Served over a dry-aged Roseda NY strip steak (Westover Butcher). On the side, young red russian kale (Court House market) with calabrian bomba, yellow onion, homemade stock, and toasted walnuts. Little bit of aged aceto balsamico.

Tonight will be fresh Vietnamese sausage (fish sauce, fried shallots, lime, cilantro, not sure what else) from the fantastic Westover Butcher, pan roasted and sliced to be served with a little Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce over kale (with garlic and soy) and steamed brown jasmine rice.

• Like 1

Chicken tortilla soup

Salad wraps

I hate the concept of "wraps" but I'm slowly coming around. I had three flour tortillas left from a batch I'd bought at Canales' in Eastern Market* and beautiful leftover salad from the platter the other night, so I filled the tortillas with the salad and added a little sour cream buttermilk dressing. They were very good. The asparagus was a little awkward to fit in and some pieces ended up breaking, so I probably should have cut that into smaller pieces. Otherwise, a good way to repurpose leftover salad.

*I don't know if they make them themselves or buy them from somewhere else, but I like both their flour and corn tortillas. Their corn tortillas were cut into strips and fried for the soup.

Last night -

Pesto orechhiette with chicken sausage (also has green beans and peas) - one of my favorite pastas.

The only downer was that the pasta (Harris Teeter brand, I think), even though I cooked it al dente, just completely fell apart from a textural standpoint. I won't buy it again.

Tonight:

Romaine lettuce, radishes, cucumber, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, avocado, croutons; sour cream-buttermilk dressing

Broiled lamb chops

Macaroni and cheese

Roasted brussels sprouts with fig balsamic and olive oil

last night:

eco-friendly loin of young (suckling?) pig, lavender-brined, smoke grilled over charcoal with applewood chips

z's q sauce

grilled asparagus

grilled ramps

cannelini beans cooked with home-smoked turkey thigh

fresh pineapple chunks

2012 Ch. Lancyre rosé

• Like 1

Green risotto made with fridge contents including leek, onion, amaranth greens, chinese broccoli, and baby spinach. The amaranth turned the rice pink, so this dish is now known as Miami Rice.

Roasted asparagus.

The amaranth turned the rice pink, so this dish is now known as Miami Rice.

:lol:

Last night:

Toasted bread with brie

Cavatappi chicken pasta salad with sweet peppers, celery, tomato, cilantro, and basil

Sunday, Chinese broccoli salad (ยำผักคะน้า, fried shallots, peanuts, kaffir lime leaves, roasted chili paste, coconut cream, tamarind, palm sugar, fish sauce) fish cakes (ทอดมันปลา, fish paste, kaffir lime leaves, red curry paste, basil, fish sauce, sugar) with cucumber "pickle" (อาจาด, cucumber, shallots, vinegar, sugar, garlic, cilantro roots, chillies, cilantro, peanuts), red curry with pork and soybeans (แกงเผ็ดหมู, pork and beans!), omelet (ไข่เจียว, eggs, basil, green chillies, shallots, fish sauce) with Siracha sauce, jasmine rice.

Monday, Chicken salad (ลาบไก่ laap gai, chicken, shallots, mint, cilantro, galanga, kaffir lime leaves, garlic, stock, fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, roasted dried chili powder, roasted rice powder), leftover red curry, eggs with Si Racha sauce, jasmine rice.

Yesterday, mung bean dumplings in tomato fenugreek sauce (moonghodi tamatar methi), cauliflower and potatoes (ghobi aloo), cilantro chutney (hari chutney), chapatis.

Chapatis>

• Like 2

Monday:

Fish tacos with chipotle cabbage slaw

{Guacamole}

{Sour cream}

Yesterday:

Buttered toast

Avocado toast

Leftover chicken pasta salad

Beef and pork chili

{Sour Cream}

I asked at the butcher counter at Whole Foods if they could grind some beef for chili. They didn't have any of that grind out in the case. He was happy to oblige, but, after at least 10 minutes, another butcher came to tell me that they couldn't find the attachment for that grind :huh: . I went back to the case to decide on what beef to get and saw they had boneless beef shanks. I figured shanks cook a long time, chili cooks a long time, so...it turns out beef shank meat works quite well in chili. Very tender by serving time. I had also bought a few pork sausages with habanero and green chile and put that meat in as well. I didn't use any dried chiles, but roasted several fresh hot ones and also chopped some fresh sweet bell peppers to go in with the onion and garlic, and then enhanced the mixture with Penzey's chili powder, plus extra cayenne and pepper flakes, and a bottle of Dos Equis.

Soup- smoked pork rib tip broth, black-eyed peas, kale, scallions, garlic, a few Thai peppers, s&p- delicious! It's the last of its kind, since due to recent health developments, I'm giving up beans & grains ( hope the luck from the black-eyed peas lasts a long time)...