Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Leftover mushroom-ricotta filling from ravioli stashed in the freezer wanted to be used, so I settled on lasagna, tinkered with the mixture to make it better suited, then realized I didn't have enough lasagna noodles, so it got layered lasagna-style with other pasta and homemade marinara. Not bad. Good mushroom flavor, anyway.

Blood orange panna cotta with blueberries (from farmers' market last summer and frozen) for dessert. Now that was good.

So much blood! I hope the Tunisian cake was worth baking

It smelled amazing while it was in the oven. It tasted good, but I found it a bit disappointingly dry, truth be told. It's the sort of cake that really needs a sugar syrup soaked into it, which is what I'd do if I made it again. Probably scented with orange flower water.

It smelled amazing while it was in the oven. It tasted good, but I found it a bit disappointingly dry, truth be told. It's the sort of cake that really needs a sugar syrup soaked into it, which is what I'd do if I made it again. Probably scented with orange flower water.

Sorry for disappointments. I did make a blood orange syrup (see post above) to pour through, though I was aiming for drama rather than adjusting for reported flaws.

Braising some lamb shanks tomorrow. Potential companions: Leftover red wine. New batch of stock. Tomato sauce. Pomegranate, mint and yogurt in house, too. Suggestions welcome.

Last night, I tried my hand at homemade ramen for the first time and, though it was not at all traditional and very much an experiment, it was incredibly satisfying. I started with pork stock that I had made with roasted trotters and standard veg (carrot, celery, onion, leek). I started by charring yellow onion, adding the pork stock, soy, chili paste, white wine and white wine vinegar (out of mirin and rice wine vinegar), bonito flakes, and whole garlic cloves and chunks of peeled ginger. I simmered this and reduced until I was happy with the broth. I did this the day before, and let it cool in the fridge to be reheated for dinner last night. The stock was thick, gelatinous, rich, and deeply flavored; I was very pleased with it, though again not a "traditional" ramen broth. It worked for us.

Along with the broth, I braised some pork cheeks the day before, as well. Braised in soy, white wine, white wine vinegar, brown sugar. Allowed to cool in the braising liquid over night, then glazed under the broiler and sliced to top the ramen.

Along with the pork cheeks, I used fresh ramen noodles from H-Mart, poached polyface eggs, and sliced scallions to top my ramen. I will absolutely be doing this again.

Salad of baby spinach, blue cheese (caveman), bacon, marcona almonds; hanger steak. Leftover blood orange panna cotta.

I was thinking that a savory panna cotta might make an interesting side dish to a steak. Something like blue cheese panna cotta, or mushroom panna cotta... Has anyone made anything like that?

Savory panna cotta? I have made a number of sformati, Italian savory baked custards w white sauce and eggs. I didn't care for them, in part, because of the set bechamel which is not to my taste. There must be savory flans, that is, incorporating eggs and milk to firm the custard. I don't see why you can't do something similar, but based on panna cotta.

Savory panna cotta? I have made a number of sformati, Italian savory baked custards w white sauce and eggs. I didn't care for them, in part, because of the set bechamel which is not to my taste. There must be savory flans, that is, incorporating eggs and milk to firm the custard. I don't see why you can't do something similar, but based on panna cotta.

Quiche, no?

Last night, crimini mushrooms in a red wine, balsamic reduction, spooned over pan-fried millet cakes.

Roasted broccoli with pecorino romano.

Quiche, no?

Duh! :D I meant in terms of quivering, crustless, knife-around-the-edges of the pan or sweet little ramkin, invert-onto-plate variety. There are cheese budini, too, so why not blue cheese panna cotta?

Dinner last night: braised lamb shank w gremalata, polenta and tender, young, brilliant magenta beet greens courtesy of Tree & Leaf

Ta da! Notice success with abbreviated quote!

I was thinking that a savory panna cotta might make an interesting side dish to a steak. Something like blue cheese panna cotta, or mushroom panna cotta... Has anyone made anything like that?

the problem I foresee with this is that panna cotta needs to be cold, whereas an egg-based custard can be served warm. Served with steak, the heat of the steak or the plate will melt the panna cotta and basically turn it into a sauce. why go to the trouble? just make a cream-based mushroom or blue cheese sauce, or make a cheese or mushroom-based custard/flan/budino, as others have suggested above, which can be served warm.

On second thought, a savory panna cotta might be fabulous as the centerpiece of a salad...

Korean style beef short ribs. Braised in the slow cooker all day. Used coconut aminos instead of soy sauce and I could taste the difference.

Little guy ate more than his share. I'm sure it will be better tomorrow.

Coconut aminos. We've tried that with a couple of dishes for gluten-avoidance purposes. To you, was the difference that the aminos yielded a less good result? Just different? Would you use them again instead of, say, GF tamari soy?

roasted asparagus with chopped hardboiled egg and vinaigrette

"French" onion and lentil soup made with slow-caramelized onions, homemade chicken stock, French lentils, then oven baked with baguette crouton and grated Compte until the cheese was browned and crusty.

in the back of a wine cabinet, I found a neglected bottle of 2000 Domaine Brusset Gigondas that I had bought in 2001, noting on the back label that Wine Spectator had given it 94 points. I thought there was a good chance it would be spoiled due to poor storage. but the wine gods were smiling on us--it was amazing. the color showed just a tiny bit of bricking at the rim, it was still full of cherry and pomegranate fruit, with undertones of earth and leather. incredible long finish. wow what a great bottle of wine. I have a few other places I stash wine--I need to check to see what's lurking in the back corners.

roasted asparagus with chopped hardboiled egg and vinaigrette

"French" onion and lentil soup made with slow-caramelized onions, homemade chicken stock, French lentils, then oven baked with baguette crouton and grated Compte until the cheese was browned and crusty.

in the back of a wine cabinet, I found a neglected bottle of 2000 Domaine Brusset Gigondas that I had bought in 2001, noting on the back label that Wine Spectator had given it 94 points. I thought there was a good chance it would be spoiled due to poor storage. but the wine gods were smiling on us--it was amazing. the color showed just a tiny bit of bricking at the rim, it was still full of cherry and pomegranate fruit, with undertones of earth and leather. incredible long finish. wow what a great bottle of wine. I have a few other places I stash wine--I need to check to see what's lurking in the back corners.

Well, hell, I could have told you that wine would have been wonderful; all it would have cost you was dinner. :)

Coconut aminos. We've tried that with a couple of dishes for gluten-avoidance purposes. To you, was the difference that the aminos yielded a less good result? Just different? Would you use them again instead of, say, GF tamari soy?

Less depth of flavor. A little too sweet. Less umami I suppose.

I've got Mr. BLB tagging along on a rebooted Whole 30 after I feel face first into a box of Valentine's Day candy. So no soy for a while longer. I have a couple bottles of organic (non-gmo, in theory) tamari that I normally use. WF even sells one that comes in little packets you could take with you when dining out.

Less depth of flavor. A little too sweet. Less umami I suppose.

I've got Mr. BLB tagging along on a rebooted Whole 30 after I feel face first into a box of Valentine's Day candy. So no soy for a while longer. I have a couple bottles of organic (non-gmo, in theory) tamari that I normally use. WF even sells one that comes in little packets you could take with you when dining out.

Not being sure that tamari soy was non-gmo, your post prompted me to do a bit of research. I wasn't sure that "organic" required non-gmo with a soybean product since I knew that upwards of 90% of all US soybeans are now gmo and the FDA has allowed all kinds of squirrely things in terms of labeling and certifications with many, many foods that defy common sense. I also checked our bottle of tamari, which doesn't specifically mention whether the soybeans are gmo. It seems to be non-gmo according to this and this. The latter link is longer and more scientifically written. It's an interesting issue for another thread but this makes me wonder how and from where San-J is able to source enough non gmo soybeans and, whatever the answer to that, why we don't have more (any?) options for other non-GMO soy products like edamame and tofu.

On Saturday I threw a party for my wife's Birthday. Here is what I cooked with some photos (some are blurry, there was drinking):

Lamb Biryani

(or lamb blurryani)

Dhal Makkhani

Baigan Bharta

Ghobi Aloo

Saag paneer

Raita

Methi Tamatar moongodi

Basmanti rice

Kolhapuri Mutton

Katchumbar

Hari chutney

papads

Paneer Jalfrezi

IMG_1441>

Also, Butter Mochi Cake (Hawaii), and Girl Scout Cookies for desert.

Smorgasboard of leftovers from Bastille, plus broccoli cooked forever, one of the oddest recipes I've seen in a long time. As a side dish it isn't so great, but I would love it tossed with pasta or as a topping for crostini.

I've been tempted by that broccoli recipe for a while now. Wonder how it would be with chicken stir-fried in a ton of garlic...

Smorgasboard of leftovers from Bastille, plus broccoli cooked forever, one of the oddest recipes I've seen in a long time. As a side dish it isn't so great, but I would love it tossed with pasta or as a topping for crostini.

Counterintuitive but interesting. I agree the broccoli might make for a nice tapenade or even something along the lines of a pesto tossed with pasta. I think that a quicker blanch followed by a saute with the rest of the ingredients, but just until al dente, would work better for me as a side dish.

^I actually blanched it for only two minutes; half an hour after it went in the pan it was too soft to turn over. But the flavor was good (didn't taste at all like overcooked brassica). The next day I reheated the leftovers and spread on a piece of thick toast - very yummy. I think next time I will try it with the stalks only and not the florets.

^I actually blanched it for only two minutes; half an hour after it went in the pan it was too soft to turn over. But the flavor was good (didn't taste at all like overcooked brassica). The next day I reheated the leftovers and spread on a piece of thick toast - very yummy. I think next time I will try it with the stalks only and not the florets.

Peeled or not?

Peking pork belly tacos

--hoisin sauce, lettuce, scallions, pickled cucumbers, pickled red onions

Refried beans

Leftover polenta

Another culinary world tour last night <_< . I had a little under 2 lbs. of pork belly that had been in the freezer for a couple months and was looking for something to do with it when I came across a recipe for "Peking pork belly tacos" at Food52. The pork is cured in salt and sugar and refrigerated for 4-12 hours (I did about 6), then roasted at 275F for 2 hours (I did closer to 3), and chilled until set (I prepared the pork Saturday and served it last night). Hoisin gets spread onto the tortilla before filling.

Instead of the daikon radish called for, I quick pickled some red onion slices. I also added some finely chopped lettuce. When I did the pan reheating before assembling the tacos, I browned the pork slices a bit--personal preference.

These were good. I put the beans inside my tacos and used less pork. My husband got more pork per taco and beans on the side. I still have probably half of the cured and roasted pork belly left and am trying to decide if I'll make more of these or do something else with the remainder.
  • Like 1

Smokey mac 'n cheese... Had some smoked turkey stock in the freezer, used in place of the bit of chicken broth I add to the béchamel/cheese sauce to keep the final product moist and creamy. Added just the right hint of smokey nuance, wasn't overpowering.

Last week I mostly cooked Indian vegetarian food. This week we have returned to Thai food.

Sunday I made green bean salad (yum tua fak yao, ยำถั่วฝักยาว), pork stir fried with ginger (Mu Pad Khing, หมูผัดขิง). I got pig's feet with five spices from Bangkok 54 grocery takeout (Kha Mu Palo, ขาหมูผะโล่) the Thai version of the Chinese red cooked pork. So good, I will make this myself soon, forgot how much I liked it. Also an omelet with chilies, onion and Thai basil, vegetables, and a Thai brown jasmine rice, Thai red rice mixture.

Monday was the same except mung bean noodle salad (yum woo sen, ยำวุ้นเส้น) instead of the green beans.

Yesterday, again the same but no salad and I made loofah with pork (mu pad buap liyam หมูผัดบวบเหลี่ยม). The recipe is from Rachel Cooks Thai. Also "kale chi" (i.e. kim chee made with kale, which is really just kim chee) from No. 1 Sons. It's good!

loofa with pork, kha mu palo, kimchee, omlete>

Tonight I will eat out. (But I'm still having Thai food :) )