Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Spice rubbed short ribs made in a crock pot with rutabaga, onion, tomatoes and dates.

The rest of the 2009 J. K. Carriere Shea Vineyard Pinot

Jason Andelman's (Artisan Confections) 70% chocolate coins simply melted over surprisingly good Cali orange wedges from WF.

We bought the ribs from a farm stand at Bethesda Market yesterday. They came out well but the rutabaga didn't work--way undercooked. Dates were too intensely sweet--not like the complimentary sweetness they provide in tagine-cooked Moroccan food. Maybe a bad choice for root vegetable or didn't cut small enough chunks. I'd have liked this more with carrots and/or potatoes included.

Another in a series of "use only what's in the fridge and freezer" soups: corn stock, corn, celery stalks and leaves, carrots, diced chicken breast, whole wheat orzo, a little garlic, thyme. Turned out much better than it had any right to. Probably the corn stock.

Asian 6-Spice* Snickerdoodles for dessert. Idea from Toki Underground.

*yes, I know.

This & that:

frittata with canadian bacon and cheddar

shredded brussels sprouts braised in apple cider

cremini mushrooms with thyme and bacon

steamed cauliflower sauteed with grape tomatoes

milk for everyone

Tonight's dinner music (because in my house, what goes in my kids' heads is as important as what goes in their stomachs): Ben Harper, Diamonds On The Inside

http://youtu.be/EAnlXD9Gaag

Steak fajitas, with peppers and onions. I have taken a shine to the Rick Bayless Frontera-branded seasoning sauces found at Whole Foods and other places. Of course the proper foodie thing would be to make my own stuff, but these taste pretty good, and have a high ratio of recognizable ingredients, and make my life easier. Worth a couple of bucks.

Served with corn and flour tortillas, grated extra-sharp cheddar, chopped scallions, sour cream, and the made to order guacamole from Whole Foods with extra cilantro. :)

Cucumber salad, dressed with vinegar, a little sugar, and pinch of red pepper flakes.

Dinner music: Weezer (the green album)

Last night was hamburgers topped with fried egg, with a little minced anchovy mixed into the meat. Potato buns and lettuce, with bacon and muenster for my husband; just mustard for me. Side serving of home fried potatoes made from leftover baked yukon golds.

I bought a mix of regular ground beef and lean ground chuck and mixed it all together with a little kosher salt, black pepper and the anchovy. The other half of it will be turned into meatballs today, though I think I'll just cook them ahead and serve them tomorrow. I plan to add raisins and pine nuts, maybe some bread crumbs and parsley.

Cooking has been really haphazard lately. It's amazing things are turning out okay, since I can't think anything through. I've been sick for 3 weeks, but the last week has been brutal. I haven't wanted any solid food at all, but somehow I've managed to make meals for my husband every night, heavy on sandwiches and leftovers. The best thing I've eaten in recent memory was toast and scrambled eggs. The hamburger was okay. My husband didn't mind the anchovy at all, but I'm still iffy on food, so that probably wasn't the smartest choice. But I had anchovies and some recipe I make includes them with beef, so well...haphazard. (That's also the reason for the mix of beef. I stood in front of the butcher counter at Eastern Market and couldn't figure out what to buy, so I asked for half a pound of one thing and half a pound of another.)

It will be a later dinner this evening. I'm roasting a turkey breast on the bone and made a pork-less mushroom based dressing to go with. Will serve with Penzey's raspberry delight sauce and some roasted green beans

Edited to add: because dinner will be late, we're going to have dessert first: peanut butter cup/chocolate Talenti's gelato.

Cooking has been really haphazard lately. It's amazing things are turning out okay, since I can't think anything through. I've been sick for 3 weeks, but the last week has been brutal. I haven't wanted any solid food at all, but somehow I've managed to make meals for my husband every night, heavy on sandwiches and leftovers. The best thing I've eaten in recent memory was toast and scrambled eggs.

Hope you are feeling better. I haven't been sick, but Florida girl is having a terrible time with this grey weather. DInner includes Vitamin D pills now.

Still working on the pantry challenge, and cleaning out the produce drawer. Three nights ago, veg salads: green beans in a mustard vinaigrette and potato salad made with homemade cabbage / green tomato relish (picalilli? Chow chow?), mustard, and mayo.

Two nights ago, roasted sweet potato and chickpea salad with lemon, olive oil and romano, side of roasted brussels sprouts with a bit of honey thrown in with the olive oil toss in the bowl.

Le Puy and beluga lentil soup with carrots from Tree & Leaf and Farm at Sunnyside, garlic from Next Step Produce, baby spinach from Chicano Sol and pancetta Three Little Pigs produced from Big Sexy, a boar raised at Evensong Farm.

Garlic naan on the side (Trader Joe's)

Two small Bosc pears from Quaker Valley

stuffed savoy cabbage: Smith Meadows ground beef and basmati rice in Moroccan-spiced sweet-sour tomato sauce with prunes and preserved lemon

haricots verts with lemon and olive oil

warm naan

2011 Castaño monastrell

I've switched to using savoy cabbage for golabki. This version of stuffed cabbage sounds delicious. Could you share the sauce?

(I've also dabbled with sweet and sour sauce, departing from my childhood's Campbell's Tomato Soup and ketchup sauce)

I've switched to using savoy cabbage for golabki. This version of stuffed cabbage sounds delicious. Could you share the sauce?

(I've also dabbled with sweet and sour sauce, departing from my childhood's Campbell's Tomato Soup and ketchup sauce)

sweet-sour is the eastern european style I grew up eating. but it is also moroccan, with a different spice profile. I started with a pestata (aka sofrito) of onion, carrot, leek, celery, and fennel in the cuisinart. sauteed in evo for a while, then added chopped garlic. bloomed powdered fennel seed, some ras al hanout, a dab of harissa, ginger and smoked paprika in with the veggies. pureed a can of san marzano tomatoes with a roasted, peeled red bell pepper. added the puree to the pan with some water, cider vinegar* and agave syrup** and a bouquet garnie of bay leaf, thyme and parsley. let it cook for a half hour or so and then added cut up pitted prunes and chopped preserved lemon. I let the sauce cook while I made the filling, steamed the cabbage leaves and then assembled the rolls. (for those reading this who have never made stuffed cabbage, the rolls are layered in a casserole with the sauce, then baked in a moderate oven for 2-3 hours.)

before serving, I squeezed some fresh lemon juice over the rolls.

*lemon juice or citric acid can be substituted

**honey or sugar can be substituted

• Like 1

last night:

caldo de mariscos (Mexican seafood soup) made with homemade shrimp shell broth, tomato, tomatillos, roasted poblano and TJ's frozen sablefish filet and shellfish mix (shrimp, scallops and squid)

warm tortillas

bosc pears poached in spiced wine syrup, vanilla creme fraiche

fat tire

Hope you are feeling better. I haven't been sick, but Florida girl is having a terrible time with this grey weather. DInner includes Vitamin D pills now.

Thanks. Whatever this is is extremely persistent. And something--maybe one of the medications I'm on--is making food smell weird and unappealing. Most stuff tastes okay (insofar as I can taste) when I actually eat it, but the smell issue is continuing to make me very food-averse. I can taste the oddest things, such as cucumber, where other tastes don't get through at all.

By the time I made dinner last night, I no longer had an appetite, but my husband enjoyed it:

Romaine with cucumber, tomatoes, and radishes with homemade croutons and ranch dressing

Meatballs (as mentioned above) with anchovy, pine nuts and raisins; farro; and, red kale simmered together in a thickened beef broth

Pat--

Look on this as the Mother Nature Diet. It's the only one that works for me. :wacko:

I'm trying to look at it that way, but this is getting really old...

Last night my husband had leftover chicken and a piece of steak left from a restaurant meal, plus leftover lima beans, and we both had twice-baked potatoes. I used to make the potatoes a lot and, for some reason, haven't been able to get them to come out right for quite some time. Last night's were perfect :) . Those are good comfort food, too.

Loving the grapefruit this year.

Curious if you're loving all grapefruit or if you've had the best luck from certain regions (Texas and FL being the two most common) or stores? I'm a big grapefruit person and have taken to getting them most often at WF simply because they'll humor me when I ask them to slice one open before I buy. At their prices, I'd brought home dry, not-so-great ones in years past and didn't want to do that again.

Curious if you're loving all grapefruit or if you've had the best luck from certain regions (Texas and FL being the two most common) or stores? I'm a big grapefruit person and have taken to getting them most often at WF simply because they'll humor me when I ask them to slice one open before I buy. At their prices, I'd brought home dry, not-so-great ones in years past and didn't want to do that again.

Florida Ruby Red bought at Super H, then left to languish in the produce drawer for a couple of weeks to really ripen up.

I've been making dosas/dosai using (i.e., cheating with) a mix with the brand name of "Gits", which is itself kind of funny. I've never seen this stuff in a store, but I've ordered online from an outlet called Indianblend (http://www.indianblend.com/). You just mix the dry packaged stuff with water, stir till smooth, let rest for five minutes, and then pour the batter into an oiled frying pan. The result is remarkably good, very close to as good as any dosas I've had in Indian restaurants. For dinner this evening, I made "masala dosa", with boiled and then smashed potatoes, cooked onions, brown mustard seed, green chiles, turmeric, and other stuff as a filling for the pancake, and it was totally delicious. The dosa was crisp but pliable enough to fold around the savory potato filling. I had an also remarkably good coriander-leaf chutney from a jar that I mixed with yoghurt as a condiment with the masala dosa, and drank a nice cava along with it. I probably should have taken a picture of some of this, but I didn't.

Not Paru's, but pretty good for a home cook with next to no knowledge of how to prepare southern Indian food.

I've been making dosas/dosai using (i.e., cheating with) a mix with the brand name of "Gits", which is itself kind of funny. I've never seen this stuff in a store, but I've ordered online from an outlet called Indianblend (http://www.indianblend.com/). ...

At dinner with some friends, I mentioned I had been grinding the rice and dal for dosas, and a guy from Kerala told me (albeit somewhat sheepishly) that you can buy the dosa / idli batter already made in yogurt-type containers at the Ginger and Spice store on Little River Turnpike at Braddock Road. It's supposed to be in the fridge section. I was told it is locally made, fresh, and very good. I don't know how close you are, but it may be worth a try. It's a nice market otherwise - well stocked, organized, and very clean.

Mr.lperry's been gone a week, and I've been on the pantry challenge trying to use up what we have instead of buying more food. We're coming close to the point of food martyrdom, so it's a good thing this is my last solo meal. Pesto potato salad (why on earth did we have a tiny jar of pesto in the cupboard?) with a glass of Phebus Torrontes. Lunch was two heels of bread, the end of a log of goat's cheese, and the scrapings from a jar of tomato jam, all grilled up. If it snows buckets tonight we are sooooooooo screwed.

Quick dinner after picking the kids up at Dulles: turkey meatballs, rice, peas, ice cream. The kids had skipped lunch on the plane and ate huge amounts.

Two hours after dinner they are raiding the kitchen for granola bars and peanut butter sandwiches. Jeez

Back to a well visited a few times recently.

- pan-roasted fresh wild fish with celery salt, garlic and shallot (this time used some fluke flounder from Blacksalt)

- mandoline thin-sliced and pan-fried sweet potato chips with sea salt (think this is my fave usage of sweet potatoes for this season; they're great with fish and some poultry/pork dishes)

- mixed greens, thin-sliced red carrot and red onion with a simple vinaigrette

Last night was the last of the meatballs, farro and kale for my husband; a salad of green leaf lettuce, halved Campari tomatoes, cubed cucumber, sliced radishes, red pepper strips, and homemade croutons, with ranch dressing; and, scalloped red potatoes layered with roasted Campari tomatoes, roasted pearl onions, and Fontina cheese. The potatoes were excellent. I've been on a roll lately, potato-wise <_<. Somehow potatoes actually taste sort of normal, antibiotics notwithstanding.

Posole and roasted sweet potato "chili" with Rick Bayless' essential ancho sauce, topped with diced avocado and crumbles of goat's cheese.

Blenheim Syrah 2009

I made quite a bit of the sauce in the grinder months ago then froze it. It worked great, and the pressure cooker cut the time for cooking the dried posole. I'm starting to think differently about weeknight meals.

8410538085_c3cb657713.jpg

Red lentil soup (cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, ground chipotle, chili, garlic) and homemade sourdough bread*.

*I bought a live starter from Breadtopia and it's been alive and well since we started to feed it a few days ago. I used KAF's sourdough recipe which used 1 cup of my prepared starter. The bread was pleasant with a small crumb, like something you'd get in a bread basket, but not hearty and boulangerie-like, as ANKB is IME.

Posole and roasted sweet potato "chili" with Rick Bayless' essential ancho sauce, topped with diced avocado and crumbles of goat's cheese.

Blenheim Syrah 2009

I made quite a bit of the sauce in the grinder months ago then froze it. It worked great, and the pressure cooker cut the time for cooking the dried posole. I'm starting to think differently about weeknight meals.

Where did you get the dried posole corn (aka nixtamal)?

Where did you get the dried posole corn (aka nixtamal)?

I got this particular bag at Super H. They have both Goya and La Fe brands, and I have also seen it at Grand Mart in the past.

Edited because I remembered that they also sell it at our Shoppers (Potomac Yards), so you may want to check there if the other places are inconvenient.

mixed green salad with avocado

linguini bolognese

Nigella Lawson's dense chocolate cake

2008 Monsanto Chianti

Guessing you made your own, several-hour bolognese? The sauce caught my eye immediately because I bought a jar of interesting bolognese at Red Apron at Union Market yesterday. They say it's a very popular item and the ingredients (the 1st of which is meat) are all real without anything preservative or unidentifiable. Looking forward to trying that in the next week or two.

Roasted butternut squash risotto. There would have been a side of roasted brussels sprouts, but every single one of them had a little, rotted, brown spot in the middle. Boo, Costco.

I've been enjoying brussel sprouts on the stalk from Giant. Mr. MV is tasked with popping off about 2 dozen today, and they'll be sauteed in duck fat (ty Society Fair).

eta: also have butternut squash and carnaroli rice in the pantry.....hmmmm ;-)

feta (further edited to add): we had a later dinner after taking dogs for routine vet visit. We stopped at the nearby Giant and bought whole wheat pizza dough and made Margherita pizza and a "calzone". Started with Nature's Promise Buffalo Glazed Chicken Wings and let me tell you... not bad. Not bad at all.

Guessing you made your own, several-hour bolognese?

the sauce simmered for several hours on thursday, made with a leek-onion-carrot-celery pestata, lots of garlic, porcini powder, anchovy paste, eco-friendly hot Italian sausage and ground beef, cento marzano tomatoes and tomato paste, a roasted red pepper, red wine, an aromatic herb bundle. it spent 24 hours sitting outside in the cold. lots of leftover sauce. a lasagna may be in my future.

• Like 1