Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

For some reason I've been craving shrimp w/ black-eyed peas. Hillvalley's description of the artichoke find at Safeway prompted me to mix up a dip of mayo, Parmesan and garlic. A Manhattan (2:1) relaxed the throat. I realized that the carbs I was craving could be obtained from half a bagel, rather than a candy bar. Tonight was good.

my internet and cable tv were down for 24 hours until this morning, and I was experiencing DR withdrawal. to cope, I vacuumed the house and cooked.

last night:

osso buco with meyer lemon gremolata

mushroom risotto

haricots verts

HD Dulce de Leche

2008 Falesco Vitiano

Beef goulash

Couscous

Pita bread

you could have unified your cross-cultural meal by throwing some dried fruit and spices in the goulash and calling it a tagine.

last night:

green salad with blue cheese dressing

linguine bolognese-ish*

2008 Falesco Vitiano

* contained ground beef, hot Italian pork sausage, roasted eggplant, porcini powder and ground crimini mushroom

Roasted tomato vinaigrette over red leaf lettuce, blue cheese and red onion (great idea from Rachel Ray). Roasted campari tomatoes with evoo, s&p, balsamic vinegar, and Dijon.

Turkey meatloaf with a lot of inspiration from America's Test Kitchen. I sauteed carrots, onions, celery, garlic, proscuitto and green bell pepper in butter. Added paprika and thyme (dried). Added chicken stock and tomato paste. Added soy sauce and Dijon mustard.

Then, combined the above with the ground turkey, eggs and saltines.

Glazed at the end with ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar and chili flakes.

Steak fries in the oven, with paprika (I'm going crazy with this stuff lately), marjoram, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin.

(OMG, Mr. MV just went for a 3rd slice of meatloaf ;) )

Baked eggs nested in sautéed spinach, mushrooms, cream, chevre, Locatelli, onion, a bit of garlic, and a sprinkling of nutmeg, Adapted from Epicurious, and my first time baking eggs like this. I'll do it again.

Pugliese bread (Costco) crisped up in the oven.

Wednesday night:

panko-crusted skate filets

remoulade sauce

basmati rice

haricots verts

2009 Brancott sauvignon blanc

HD vanilla with warm dulce de leche and crushed peanuts

Thursday night:

mixed lettuce salad, avocado, pine nuts with vinaigrette

deconstructed lasagna bolognese, roasted red pepper and homemade ricotta

2007 Capestrano Montepulciano d'Abruzzi

assam tea and almond cookies

Wednesday:

Chicken soup with mushrooms and leeks

BLTs on Irish soda bread

Last night:

Romaine with Campari tomatoes and cucumbers; vinaigrette

Pot roast sandwiches with gravy on toasted Irish soda bread

Pan fried collard, potato, and feta cakes. Colcannon with a twist.

Steamed broccoli with Locatelli

A red d'Anjou pear

Three-buck Chuck Australian chardonnay.

I bought the wine to make a risotto, changed my mind about the meal, and poured it in my glass instead. Surprisingly inoffensive for $3.29.

I’m sure there’s some fancy name for this but it was basically whole wheat orecchiette and Italian sausage (the sausage casing removed and sautéed with spring onions, garlic, red pepper flakes) and broccoli, topped with Asiago. Served with Les Fumees Blanches Savignon Blanc 2008. Dessert was a Chocolate Hazelnut Brownie from ABP. I’m content.

Crostini (Irish soda bread and tomato-olive marmalade)

Salad of Belgian endive, radicchio, radishes, parsley, toasted walnuts; feta and Danish blue cheese on the side; buttermilk ranch dressing

Lamb-eggplant gratin

Leftover baked penne

The crostini were a not entirely unsuccessful cross-cultural experiment. They would have been better with a little feta on top, but there was already feta in the salad and in the gratin. This used up the last of the soda bread and most of the marmalade. The marmalade has been in the refrigerator for two weeks, and I didn't use preserving techniques to store it. I don't want to keep it around much longer.

last night:

cannelini beans braised with aromatics and artichokes

eco-friendly rose veal piccata

strawberries with lavender cream*, acacia honey and toasted almonds

2006 Chapillon cuvée harmonie

*full-fat Fage yogurt, creme fraiche, agave syrup, vanilla extract and lavender powder

Whose? How good? I usually cave in some time in April.

Purchased at Trader Joe's yesterday. From Florida. Big ones that are often sneered at by local foodamentalists, but they were reasonably ripe, juicy and flavorful. What can I say? I ate a lot of local Oxnard berries while I was in L.A., purchased at various farmers' markets, so maybe it balances out...

;)

Purchased at Trader Joe's yesterday. From Florida. Big ones that are often sneered at by local foodamentalists, but they were reasonably ripe, juicy and flavorful. What can I say? I ate a lot of local Oxnard berries while I was in L.A., purchased at various farmers' markets, so maybe it balances out...

;)

HOney, twasn't a sneer; I am only a P/T snob. :P One of my absolute favorite combos is grapefruit and strawberries w just a little sugar and since prime citrus season is drawing to a close, you need to use preemie berries.

Lulu's French lentil soup w tesa and lots of garlic (Parm rind in pot)

Warmed pain levain

Salad of Boston lettuce, watercress & arugula w toasted walnuts, dried honeycrisps and grated Stony Man cheese

Handful of dark-chocolate covered raisins from Trader Joe's

1 3/4 inch-thick ribeye (sold as Delmonico by Gunpowder Bison)

Bed of arugula

Tiny, sautéed mushrooms

Lemon

Tiny potatoes roasted British-style

Italian red

Orange & dark chocolate

Thank you everyone who contributed to the thread here on cooking steaks. I, too, got absolutely terrific results from the low-oven prep you all advocated; my steak spent around three days air-drying in fridge and worries about losing all that blood during the process were for naught.

A sunny, warm day, so a light dinner. Marinating on the counter is a wheat berry/Waldorf salad. Wheat berries, Pink Lady apple, celery, toasted pecans, dried cranberries, walnut oil, apple vinegar, hot sauce, honey, and salt. The apple vinegar is Beirut White Apple Vinegar from the Mediterranean Bakery, and it is delicious. It is so intensely apple-y with fragrant top notes. it doesn't taste "cooked" like regular cider vinegar, and it works really well with the earthy walnut oil. It will be served up with a 2009 Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc.

last night:

apricot sours--my attempt to replicate the Vidalia cocktail, which turned out smashingly. I made sour mix with Meyer lemon juice and agave syrup.

Red Apron paté de campagne

Keswick rose veal liver, pan-seared and smothered with onion, crimini mushroom, bacon and balsamic-veal stock reduction

served on toasted homemade bread slices

steamed broccoli

B&J's karamel sutra

Chicken burritos: chicken thighs stewed with onions, garlic, cumin, chicken broth, and a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes. Shredded & served with flour tortillas, pickled jalapenos, lime wedges, sour cream, grated cheddar, chopped tomatoes, tomatillo salsa.

Refried beans

Milk

Vanilla cupcakes with sprinkles, made by Emma.

A warm salad of roasted sweet potatoes, roasted sweet onions, chickpeas, shaved Locatelli cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, and hot sauce. The other half of the lemon went into a sidecar for the chef. I think it was Anna Blume who wrote about the flavor amplifying properties of red pepper flakes. I'm finding the same effect with hot sauce, especially when combined with beans and grains.

Friday:

Salad (romaine, provolone, cucumbers, Campari tomatoes; vinaigrette)

Leftover beef-vegetable soup

Leftover pork chops and chard

Last night:

Salad (romaine, provolone, radishes, cucumbers, Campari tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs; buttermilk ranch)

Baked potatoes

Broiled rib eye steaks

Corn niblets

Lazy Sunday night before leaving town tomorrow:

Chili dogs

leftover cole slaw

extra large platter of sliced peppers, cucumber, celery sticks, baby carrots

milk

cupcakes

The remainder of the veggies are in a ziploc bag as snacks for the plane.

Butternut squash and parsnip soup with sage, topped with fried sage

Garlic-cumin grilled pork chops

Red leaf lettuce salad with tomatoes and radishes, in mustard vinaigrette

Bagel chips

My box of matzah is staring at me, daring me to make matzah brei for dinner tomorrow. (I have no seder to attend, but matzah brei sounds compelling.)

Mexican meatball soup, taken from a Real Simple magazine that I read on the plane.

Basically, the soup is pureed salsa mixed with water. A little too salsa-esque for my taste - perhaps something closer to tomato soup would be better. The meatballs were good, though - ground beef, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, and cumin.

I chopped some cukes for a little coolness and crunch, and it was a good addition to the soup.

Leftover pasta (plain, dried) heated in the microwave w butter and grated cheese

Cold cannellini w salt, pepper and olive oil

Dried Honeycrisp apple slices

Tap water

My type of meal. However, next time, try some black pepper on the pasta. It really enhances the flavor. ;)