The Discomfort of Hard Stools

Cashion's. I really like the bar there. Great beverages. Great service. But I HATE THE GODDAMNED BAR STOOLS! They're all polished wood with about 12-15 inch diameter round tops. But what makes them so evil is this raised lip around the circumference, the sole purpose for which is to completely cut off all blood flow through the femoral artery (or whatever artery it is that runs down the back of your thigh). Worst bar stools I've found in this city.

I rather like the ones at Firefly. They're big and bulky so you get a few extra inches of personal space around you. And they're soft, providing a suitable and comfortable space for your behind to park itself for the long haul.

Does anyone know of ones that are better than Firefly or worse than Cashion's?

Cashion's.  I really like the bar there.  Great beverages.  Great service.  But I HATE THE GODDAMNED BAR STOOLS!  They're all polished wood with about 12-15 inch diameter round tops.  But what makes them so evil is this raised lip around the circumference, the sole purpose for which is to completely cut off all blood flow through the femoral artery (or whatever artery it is that runs down the back of your thigh).  Worst bar stools I've found in this city.

I rather like the ones at Firefly.  They're big and bulky so you get a few extra inches of personal space around you.  And they're soft, providing a suitable and comfortable space for your behind to park itself for the long haul.

I do not like the barstools at Firefly (although everything else makes it worthwhile). There is no second (higher) level on which to rest your feet, so those of us with shorter legs are left dangling.

soft, providing a suitable and comfortable space for your behind to park itself for the long haul.

Bring cushions to cashions, Good Buddy! I like the seats at Palena and the couches at Tabard Inn. I like the heavy cushioned type that rich people have in their kitchens, the best.

Bring cushions to cashions, Good Buddy!  I like the seats at Palena and the couches at Tabard Inn. I  like the heavy cushioned type that rich people have in their kitchens, the best.

I second the Palena barstool praise. I've never met anything friendlier to my bottom. Come to think of it, I sat on it cross-legged many a times and nothing hung down. I too hate these little contraptions from which half of your cheek is hanging down precariously.

Also, old Gabriel on 21st and P had the best barstools ever, large and plump and red leather with gold nailheads...bottom happiness.

Cashion's.   I really like the bar there.  Great beverages.  Great service.  But I HATE THE GODDAMNED BAR STOOLS!  They're all polished wood with about 12-15 inch diameter round tops.  But what makes them so evil is this raised lip around the circumference, the sole purpose for which is to completely cut off all blood flow through the femoral artery (or whatever artery it is that runs down the back of your thigh).  Worst bar stools I've found in this city.

YES!! I ate there at the bar last night (I said hello to your pal Billy, CrescentFresh. He's the best.) and was slipping off the thing, looking for a rung I could reach whenever I wasn't shaking my legs to get the circulation flowing again. I can't imagine what it's like for the petite folks among their bar customers - I'm somewhere between short and tall, and I was struggling.

Palena's bar stools are so comfortable, but has anyone noticed how some of them are starting to look shabby?

I'm currently in Montgomery, AL for work and I had dinner sitting at the bar of a place called Vintage Year just last night. The food was quite good, but these were the most uncomfortable stools I've ever had the misfortune of sitting my wide ass on. These were the small. round, almost art-deco style like you'd see in a diner, with a seat about the size of a dinner plate.

I squirmed, stood up about ten times and still couldn't keep my feet from falling fast asleep five or six times.

But the pork chop might have been the best I've had. And that almost made it worth it.

I'm not a big fan of the bar stool in general. I'm short, they're tall and there is no graceful way to climb up on them, let alone move it closer to the bar. And if there is nothing to rest my feet on that's going to bother me all night like an itch that won't go away.

If I have to sit on the dreaded stool I am a fan of the ones at the Sushi Ko sushi bar, Old Ebbit and of course Palena. I have a hard time with the stools at Dino. They are too tall, hard to move in and not that comfortable.

Just as important to me though, is whether or not the bar has hooks underneath to hook my purse onto. Bars that have that get major bonus points.

I am in the car right now with my hub driving home. We just had lunch with the girls at 2 Amy's. We ate at the bar. The girls and I thought the stools were fairly comfortable. It fit my derriere just fine. My husband sat with his legs wide open wrapped arund the sides of the stool. Oh well...

I work in veterinary medicine, where the topic of another type of . . . um . . . stool is of constant concern in great detail. 

This thread title gives me pause, and probably should have been "The Discomfort of Barstools".

I'm with you. When I first looked at the title to this thread, I thought for sure the subject of prunes was sure to come up.

I'm with you.  When I first looked at the title to this thread, I thought for sure the subject of prunes was sure to come up.

Oh, come on. You're not giving Crescent Fresh the credit he deserves.

And I forgot to say that the leather bar thrones at Cirtonelle are assuredly the best. <_<

My wife, not being tall in any sense of the word, refuses to sit on stools, even if they have backs. She says that they just are not comfortable as her legs have to dangle, even if they have a foot rai. So we never sit at the sushi bar, or at the bar anywhere if we can help it. Personally, if I'm at a bar, I prefer one with a food rail and no stools, so I can stand with one foot on the rail, my elbow on the bar, and toss back my drink, just like John Wayne.