Birthday Party Suggestions Needed

CrescentFresh

A friend is turning 26 and was asking me for suggestions on where about a dozen of us could go this Saturday night to celebrate.

Initially she asked, "I wanted to know if you had any recommendations for a place that is more bar than club. i want a nice, but relaxed atmosphere that has some music and the potential for a little dancing....but that isn't completely overbearing and deafeningly loud....know of any such place?"

To which I asked her, "I need more parameters." I also asked her what she thought of Firefly's lounge, where we spent a number of hours during my last birthday.

To which she replied, "goodness! yes, ok firefly! i remember that place and really liked it! parameters, ok ok....type of music is not super important. see, i like the lounge idea but i would really like to be able to dance a little. i mean i don't want to bust out like a crazed college student rolling on God knows what, but a little shaking of the behind would be right-up-my-alley-kinda-fun. i don't think such a place exists, but i'm always hoping it does. anywho firefly sounds like a nice starting point......

i was also thinking of Gua Rapo in Clarendon. they are somewhat "loungie" upstairs and have a dance floor. some people sit, some dance, some smoke the ole' hookha (but i don't think that's available on sat nights). i was thinking that or our good ole' reserve Ozzio's. for the most part that place can be annoying but they have one room, behind the 2nd floor bar that is relatively quiet and loungie.....and that's about it for my idea.....

as per the type of cocktail parameters: anything goes, as long as it isn't soley a beer place. i like me some variety, dang gummit."

So, I can't think of any place that I've been to that fires on all these cylinders. How about you all?

i was also thinking of Gua Rapo in Clarendon. they are somewhat "loungie" upstairs and have a dance floor. some people sit, some dance, some smoke the ole' hookha (but i don't think that's available on sat nights). i was thinking that or our good ole' reserve Ozzio's. for the most part that place can be annoying but they have one room, behind the 2nd floor bar that is relatively quiet and loungie.....and that's about it for my idea.....

I go to Gua-Rapo often (mojitos) and think it's a fine birthday place for someone in their mid-twenties. So is Chi-Cha on U Street. I'm not sure about the dance potential for both, but Blue Room (maybe Perry's roof first?) might fit the bill. Another (aggravating and tool-filled) option is Lima on K Street, next to DC Coast. If you decide that you want to go a little more rustic, Rumba Cafe on 18th gets hopping...

All my suggestion are in Virginia...

If you can get one of the larger couch/table areas in the bar at Tallula that can be a fun spot - though it can get loud and I don't know if the potential for dancing is there.

Clarendon Ballroom? (Looking at their website, they don't appear to be open on Saturdays :) Thurs/Fri only - maybe the only do private parties on Saturday.)

Cafe Salsa in Old Town...it's not huge, but they have music (salsa and otherwise) and more than just beer (mojitos, etc).

These may be to much of a "club," but Play, Saki, Avenue, or Chloe??? I have been to many birthday parties at all three and all a good time...though nothing like Firefly. I have also been to fun birthday parties at Zucchabar and Chi-Cha.

Maybe 18th Street Lounge? Seems to balance the bar v. club bit pretty well and be somewhere that is both sufficiently hip to allow dancing, and sufficiently mature not to subject you to being bothered by college students. If the weater holds up, they also have a nice outdoor deck.

We did Saint Ex for my 26th and enjoyed it. They reserved a big table downstairs for us as long as we got there by a reasonable hour. Not sure if I've been back since, but the food was always really pretty good for a more casual, fun environment.

I am assuming that no food needs be consumed?

Mantis is an idea, the club downstairs is hot on Fri/Sat but you can move between that and the upstairs for a more relaxed atmosphere.

Science Club is the new place for the lounge music scene.

5 has its Wednesday rooftop party starting up again (probably way too club).

Gazuza.

I think the type of request your friend is making is what kills good bars and clubs in this town. I think a good bar and a good dance club are distinctly different items. When the two are mixed we get the lounge scene, which is too much for a bar but way too lame for a dance club.

Of course I am still bitter that Red is gone....

Thanks for the tips. She ended up having us start at Alero (I chose to eat dinner first elsewhere) and then later on we moved to Chi Cha Lounge, which was a good bit of fun. Everyone had a good time.

I'm still anxious to check out Science Club sometime.

Where would you go if we slightly altered the parameters as follows:

27th birthday

Dancing & music not important

Good food, but mid-range prices (~$15 entrees) is important

Group dinner for about 15

Preferably in DC

Saturday night, so probably would need somewhere that would do a reservation.

Thanks!

Hmm... hoping to get some suggestions...

Price: Preferably about $25/per person for preferably three courses or maybe more reasonably two

Group size: 10-15 people

in DC, metro-accessible

Seems like a lot of places have pretty high minimums for groups.

I once looked into Matchbox for an event. They were booked the night I wanted, but the manager faxed me event menus and they were very reasonable. And they have a private room now for parties of your size.

Have you tried Zaytinya?

I tried Oyamel, but the minimum was $1500 with a max. of 20 people. Seriously... $75/person? Perhaps restaurants will learn if I find a way to overwhelm their main dining room with 20 of my rowdiest friends... I understand it's just more worthwhile for them, but at the same time it kinda seems a little bit like a gouge.

$75 does seem a bit steep, but then again asking $15 for entree seems low. $25 per head, does that include drink, tax, and tip?

No. Just the food. Mostly just app and entree. I think I'm just in shock at $75.

But I think it's perhaps also indicative of the fact that DC generally doesn't have good mid-range options. Things are either cheap or chain, pricey or REALLY pricey. Sorry, that's not exactly on topic. The best option is probably a Chinese banquet in Maryland.