Vegemite, If It Could...

zoramargolis

URL: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20623973-2,00.html

There's no accounting for taste

October 21, 2006 12:00am

THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching

Australians for jars of the spread when they enter the country.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed

illegal under US food laws.

The great Aussie icon - faithfully carried around the world by

travellers from downunder - contains folate, which under a

technicality, America allows to be added only to breads and cereals.

Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been

gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong traditions of

Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug

Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because

the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

The US was "a minor market'' for Vegemite, she said.

URL: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20623973-2,00.html

There's no accounting for taste

October 21, 2006 12:00am

THE US has banned Vegemite, even to the point of searching

Australians for jars of the spread when they enter the country.

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite has been deemed

illegal under US food laws.

The great Aussie icon - faithfully carried around the world by

travellers from downunder - contains folate, which under a

technicality, America allows to be added only to breads and cereals.

Australian expatriates in the US said enforcement of the ban had been

gradually stepped up and was now ruining lifelong traditions of

Vegemite on toast for breakfast.

Kraft spokeswoman Joanna Scott said: "The (US) Food and Drug

Administration doesn't allow the import of Vegemite simply because

the recipe does have the addition of folic acid.''

The US was "a minor market'' for Vegemite, she said.

This is what people are worried about? UFB!

Surprisingly, Kraft is the largest producer of Vegemite in the world.

Technically, it' s the only producer of Vegemite, since the Vegemite is a brand name, not a generic term, and the brand is owned by Kraft. Apparently this pissed off the Australians so much that somebody developed "Aussie Mite."

Technically, it' s the only producer of Vegemite, since the Vegemite is a brand name, not a generic term, and the brand is owned by Kraft. Apparently this pissed off the Australians so much that somebody developed "Aussie Mite."

Which is just plain silly- the guy that invented the stuff was actually the one that set up the joint venture with Kraft to market it only a couple years later.

Reports of Vegemite's demise may be greatly exaggerated.

Sydney Morning Herald story

"We are aware of reports that US authorities have been seeking to stop people from bringing Vegemite into the country," a spokesperson from the Australian embassy in Washington DC told AAP(Australian Associated Press).

"From our perspective there is no food safety issue with Vegemite and we had been advised recently by US authorities that Vegemite was not of concern to them.

"We are liaising with US authorities to determine whether the media reports are accurate."

FDA's website doesn't list a darn thing regarding either Vegemite or Marmite, other than some labeling issues directed at specific importers, which can be gotten around by slapping the FDA-format Nutrition Facts label on the jar.

Marmite does have one legitimate use. Spread thinly over lavishly buttered toast, top with runny fried egg. Oh mummy, umami!
That does sound good. I had a Brit room mate years ago who introduced me to Marmite. The first time I tried it I slathered it on toast like peanut butter. Big mistake.

That does sound good. I had a Brit room mate years ago who introduced me to Marmite. The first time I tried it I slathered it on toast like peanut butter. Big mistake.

Been there, done that. Not fun. I guess there is a reason that it comes in those little jars.

Well, even though there was no official ban, I hadn't seen it until this past weekend, when I ventured into the British Goods store on Clarendon Blvd. in Arlington (Clarendon section). Right next to its sister, Marmite, was a nice, small jar of Kraft's Vegemite. Of course, I forgot to check the price. But it's there if anyone has a hankerin'!

We are now in possession of 2 jars of Marmite XO. It's simultaneously stronger-smelling and mellower-tasting, which is very weird. I dislike the regular stuff, but I could definitely see developing a taste for XO.

We just inherited a jar of Vegemite, courtesy of an Australian friend who feels compelled to bring it to Azami's "Trains 'n' Scrapple" event every year. I'm a little disturbed that it has no expiration date. . .

It would be a brave and hardy pathogen that took on a jar of Vegemite and survived. :lol: The Marmite XO does have a "best before" date, but that's August 2011 for a jar that was purchased the last week of April 2010.

We just inherited a jar of Vegemite, courtesy of an Australian friend who feels compelled to bring it to Azami's "Trains 'n' Scrapple" event every year. I'm a little disturbed that it has no expiration date. . .

I figure it can't go bad because it already has. I suppose it could go worse...