Solly's U Street Tavern, 11th & U Streets NW in Shaw - Owner John Solomon comes from Dominion Brewpub

Solly's U Street Tavern is serving food now (until around 10:30 or 11, they're still working out the schedule based on demand)...i got a bite of a friend's hot dog, but supposedly they also have some new zealand style meat pies, which I have high hopes for. The place has become my de facto place to grab a couple beers when I'm over in that area. The Saloon has some great beers, but its hours aren't the best (closed on Mondays, for instance), and Solly's just has alot more of that neighborhood dive bar vibe which can be so enjoyable.

Went by Solly's last night on the way back from the 930 club. Anyone been and have comments- beer/atmosphere/food?

Beer: the only beer I've had there is PBR in a can. I think they have others, but I go to this bar to drink cheap beer and hang out.
Atmosphere: the reason I keep going back. I prefer the downstairs (fewer TVs) but even the upstairs has some character.
Food: as previously mentioned, I've only tried the hot dog. Last night I heard reports that they are also serving tots (to jump on the bandwagon)

It's a dive, yes. I like it.

A friend just tipped me off to the super-positive review in the post last week. Click!

No matter where you sit, look around and you'll see the majority of the crowd drinking cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon, regardless of age or hipster cred. Why? It's $3 a can, all day, every day.

Friend of mine just landed a gig here playing this Thursday.

Any recent reports?

They just started carrying Bell's Two-Hearted in bottle, for those nights when you feel like starting with something excellent and switching to PBR later in the evening.

This place is awesome. My favorite bar in the city. Love playing the jukebox there, random people like to sing along. Great crowd. Post hipster/pre-douchebag, but lots of locals. On Sundays and early, it's all neighborhood folks. Sometimes there are dogs there. Limited, but good beer selection. They have most of the liquors. But, it's not a mixology place. The people that work there are just nice. It's one of the few places in that area that I don't feel old at. Is the food good there? I've never tried it.