Yume Sushi - Chef Saran Kanasute on Lee Highway in East Falls Church

5 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Is this place pronounced like yum-me?

Perhaps, but for some reason when I first caught the headline, I pronounced it as you-me.  I looked it up , and the yume in Japanese means "dream". But your take on it could me a playful take on how they hope their guests perceive the food. 

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Is this place pronounced like yum-me?

And what's this on their menu?

I got the lead after I got a notification that their Instagram account started following me. I naturally reached out to them to see if they were interested in having a "chat" about the opening. They responded and I will be setting something up next week. So please list any questions you may want answered, and I will do my best to get as much information as possible for our members. 

9 hours ago, curiouskitkatt said:

I got the lead after I got a notification that their Instagram account started following me. I naturally reached out to them to see if they were interested in having a "chat" about the opening. They responded and I will be setting something up next week. So please list any questions you may want answered, and I will do my best to get as much information as possible for our members. 

When can I do the omakase, I suppose is the first question. :)

1 hour ago, TheMatt said:

When can I do the omakase, I suppose is the first question. :)

I will be certain to ask when opening date will be for sure!! 

What I do know so far is... 

Yume responds: 

Chef Peters idea is the open up sushi lovers pallets to new things.

We specialize in a sushi bar that seats over 20 people and we do two Omakase seatings each evening by reservation.  Each seating will only have 10 seats available.

The images on our instagram page are from various pop ups we have had while under construction.   They are all from his Omakase menu which changes every night.

Samples of omakase Chef Peter has created at several pop ups. 

On 10/12/2018 at 10:06 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

Yume is wrapping up ABC approval and pending inspections. There is no set date announced yet. Once a date is announced , a soft opening will take place for a couple weeks, prior to a Grand opening. 

Update!! 

Soft opening this Saturday, with reservations for Omakase to open on 12/20! 

• Like 1

Had lunch at Yume. I will go again for dinner but without my dining companions (2 of the 3). 

Yume is fancy, to quote 8 yr old Duneridge. While he claimed the miso was in his top 3 of all times, he especially liked the tofu cubes, the edamame was overcooked. We all completely agreed and did not finish the edamame. I would add that the salt was too fine as I like fat crystals.  

Duneridge was also quite upset (and not fooled) that their version of California Roll was made with real crab. However, he was the only disappointed person at the table.

Eviva liked the crab roll, her salmon and avocado roll and the salmon sashimi (excellent actually). In fact, she savored her meal. This is when I should pause and note that this is a savoring restaurant, which makes me very hopeful for the Omakase. 

Big D and I ate the Yume Roll, Dragon Roll, and...the Volcano roll. All were great but we did like one more than the other. I liked the tuna-based Dragon best and husband liked Yume best. 

Minor complaints: There is a make your own section. I really don't like making decisions on the weekend or vacation. The soy sauce bowl was too small for the pieces of sushi. Did I do something wrong? 

Staff and physical environment are very, very nice. Total bill $85 including a green tea, spicy miso, and cucumber salad (also very good).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We enjoyed our dinner here the other night. It's not traditional sushi, but we're not sushi purists. The food was tasty and the service was great, that's all that matters. We had the smoked salmon tataki, octopus salad, crab salad, creamy scallop roll, headhunter roll (eel), and several pieces of nigiri. Best bite of the night, hands down, was fresh uni from Hokkaido. Everything else was very good, but hard to top that. 

We thought the dishes were well composed and there was a particular focus on texture. The creamy scallop roll surprised me with how well the contrasting textures worked together. Drinks and desserts were fine, nothing special, but good enough to accompany the rest of the meal. The standouts were clearly the fish, as it should be. 

• Like 1