2Amys vs. Pizzeria Paradiso

porcupine

Which place is better? Depends on your criteria. [note: Paradiso refers to Georgetown location only]

You want beer with your pizza: Paradiso

You want wine with your pizza: 2Amys

You want food other than or in addition to your pizza: 2Amys

You want dessert: absolutely no contest - 2Amys always and forever

You don't want to wait an hour for a table: Paradiso

You love dining in a kindergarten romper room: 2Amys

You want relative peace and quiet: Paradiso

You want relatively easy parking: 2Amys

You intend to shop at Dean and Deluca after lunch: Paradiso

Pizza is your only consideration: ?

Remember that ultimately the same man (Peter Pastan) was behind both ventures.

Who's better, Beethoven or Mozart? Rolling Stones or Beatles? It's a broken pencil debate.

But really, if 2Amys were less of a holding pen for ill-mannered children, I'd choose it every time, even though I prefer beer with pizza.

Anyone else...?

[i don't mind the comparison-and-contrasts threads (click here for my own example of one), but they do make the dining guide a challenge, turning the hierarchical into the relational. If we can limit discussion in this thread to comparisons and contrasts between the two, and leave posts about one-or-the-other in their appropriate threads, it would be most appreciated from my dictatorial librarian's viewpoint. Grazie, Rocks.]

Paradiso for pizza. Even though I like 2 Amys, I find that the ingredients on the pie-- even the margherita-- are too soupy and the crust inconsistent (sometimes soggy in the middle, sometimes not.) I do love the bar area and offerings, though. Otherwise, I find myself agreeing with porcupine. . .

Pizza being the only factor, I think Paradiso wins hands down. 2Amy's has been experimenting way too much, we have had soggy crusts more often than not. The first time I went, Amy's was great, but then again I only ordered their DOC Margharita.

2Amy's does have some excellent tapas and an exceptionally well priced winelist though. But on pizza. Paradiso for me.

Another vote for Paradiso here.

2 Amy's is almost too stressful - the waits, the uncomfortable chairs, the cramped space, the ear splitting noise. Paradiso is maybe a bit spartan, but it is downright comfortable in comparison.

The pizza's? A tossup.

I agree with porcupine right until the bottom line. I just prefer the pizza at Paradiso. My most recent visits to 2 Amys have featured pizza that is far too oily, even if I don't choose a grease-producing topping like pepperoni. Oh, and the beer at Paradiso. The beer. Winner!

To me, beer is a great accompaniment for pizza, but more when it's an order out pizza you're sitting around eating while watching a game or something. Greasy and with too much cheese. Both Two Amy's and PP are pizzas that are better accompanied by a glass of red wine. <shrug> To each their own. I prefer everything about 2A, except the atmosphere. And it's not even the kids that get to me. It's the overall noise level. The whole of it drives me nuts. Foodwise, across the board (apps, pie, dessert), I think 2A is better.

Edge goes to 2Amys on the pizza, Paradiso on beer (Chimay on tap!), wait time, and parking. Tie on side dishes.

Honorable mention goes to the fact that the Georgetown Paradiso is just over the Key Bridge from VA and Georgetown is more fun, including Dean and DeLuca. We put our names on the list, and then shop at Dean and Deluca, and then come back. They usually have seats ready sooner than they estimated, so don't dilly-dally.

OTOH, the patio at 2Amys is very nice in fine weather. Mid-afternoon is best time to avoid waiting forever, and usually the nicest time of the day, to boot.

Are you saying it's easier to park in Georgetown than up above the Cathedral? That wouldn't be my experience.
If it makes it more comprehensible, I have no idea where the Cathedral is vis-a-vis 2Amys but have a pretty good mental map of Georgetown.

I also don't know my way around Adams Morgan, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, and a host of other DC neighhoods.

On the other hand, I can get you from Twinbrook to Kamp Washington without waiting for a light . . . .

Parking in Georgetown is like parking in the Big City. You need patience, and the ability to parallel park into a space with three inches to spare, front and back. It can be done.

Parking in Georgetown is actually really easy Monday through Thursday right around 7 or 7:30. I usually park on M about a block, block and a half west of Paradiso. Weekends, you are better off taking a cab.

And for 2 Amys, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they come to an agreement with Giant about using their lot gratis?