The Guards, Legendary Tavern on 30th and M Street in Georgetown - Closed

The Guards has them on their menu. Martin's Tavern has probably the most delicious thing I ever ate on their brunch menu : Fried Oysters Benedict. OMG.

You have given me the first good reason I've had in years to go to Georgetown on a Sunday. By the way, when my folks first ate there, you could buy a four bedroom row house near the university for less than $7,500. Many thanks.

The Guards has them on their menu.
When I saw Rocks's question, I poked around on menupages looking for OR, and found them at the Guards, but hesitated to post because nobody ever talks about this place that's been there for ages and has remarkably low prices. I figured it's just a crummy dive. Isn't it? Incidentally, the Oysters Rockefeller are listed only on their lunch menu. But lunch or dinner they have oysters on the halfshell at $6.95 for 6. Not quite as cheap as Old Ebbitt at happy hour, but this is on their regular menu. Filet mignon, $14.95? Veal marsala, $12.95? Can this be any good?

When I saw Rocks's question, I poked around on menupages looking for OR, and found them at the Guards, but hesitated to post because nobody ever talks about this place that's been there for ages and has remarkably low prices. I figured it's just a crummy dive. Isn't it? Incidentally, the Oysters Rockefeller are listed only on their lunch menu. But lunch or dinner they have oysters on the halfshell at $6.95 for 6. Not quite as cheap as Old Ebbitt at happy hour, but this is on their regular menu. Filet mignon, $14.95? Veal marsala, $12.95? Can this be any good?
I have only eaten at the Guards once for lunch with my parents, and we all loved it. The same owners of the Childe Harold in Dupont... large plates, low prices, very nice service. It only seems like a crummy dive until you go inside and realize there's a huuuge sunroom in the back!

Not a crummy dive at all. It is refreshingly adult (except on Friday and Saturday night when it is overrun with Bud puking students). I usually sit at the bar and have: double oysters Rockefeller and then a steak tartare. The Veal Oscar is great, too!

Not a crummy dive at all. It is refreshingly adult (except on Friday and Saturday night when it is overrun with Bud puking students). I usually sit at the bar and have: double oysters Rockefeller and then a steak tartare. The Veal Oscar is great, too!
Thanks for the info; I'll have to check this place out. Have y'all been trying to keep it a secret? I mean, it's been there for 41 years, apparently, and nobody ever talks about it. How many oysters in a double, by the way?

Thanks for the info; I'll have to check this place out. Have y'all been trying to keep it a secret? I mean, it's been there for 41 years, apparently, and nobody ever talks about it. How many oysters in a double, by the way?

Double order = 12. The biggest joke in Georgetown is going to the Guards for "a" drink. Not possible- the place is a black hole that sucks you in. Make a point to go on Tuesday or Thursday night and meet Cynthia and Sully.

We went for lunch and some bloody marys- burger and another sandwich if I recall. The bloody mary's were pretty good., the burger ok the other sandwich forgettable. The server, an older fellow, was extremely smooth and a delight. Not bad, but nothing I'd go out of my way for. A good choice if going to the KC for an opera or if you are already in the area, much better than most GT options. The glass enclosed patio can get hot and stuffy during the day in summer.

Oooh, The Guards! You know, the place is not as nondescript as it may appear. It has a certain old-school flair but not too terribly expensive; a poor man's Prime Rib-esque, if you will. In the winter, it has an enormous fireplace and chairs adorably placed on either side. I recall a particularly miserable, humid, icy Sunday morning when a friend and I were traipsing all over G'town in search of a serviceable brunch, and boy, was I relieved when my wet tired bottom ended up in one of these chairs. Ah, The Guards.

Wow! I have not been to the Guards since I was a "Bud puking student" ;) . I never even considered going back there to eat but now I will.

What I really meant to say is that the weekend crowd is completely different from the weekday crowd. I tried to make it a little more colorful, that's all.

I totally got what you were trying to say and I am serious that I have not been to the Guards since I was in college and we used to dance downstairs in the Griphon (sp?) room. Does that still even exist?

The Gryphon room is still there. The overflow comes up to the main bar.

Since it's summer-time (meaning intern time in DC) I would say that on Friday and Saturday nights it's especially overrun by "Bud-puking students." But with the demise of the Childe Harold (alas) The Guards remains one of the few watering holes left in NW DC with some true heritage. ;)

I finally made it to The Guards for lunch today, my very first time setting foot in the place. Considering I've lived in Washington for several decades, I guess it's a bit odd that I had never been there. The Oysters Rockefeller don't currently appear on their lunch menu, even though as I mentioned upthread somewhere they used to appear only on their lunch menu. But never mind, they had fried oysters, and they were terrific. I think they were $7.95 for a big plate of them, something like a dozen--big plump things beautifully fried. "Eggs Madison" to follow--like Benedict but with smoked salmon. Why Madison? I have no idea. Not bad, not great. The eggs were perfectly cooked, I have to say. They were accompanied by some very mushy fried potatoes with peppers. The place is a very interesting and pleasing succession of spaces as you move from the front to the back of the restaurant. I hope this place continues to exist, as I'm expecting to want to go back.

I finally made it to The Guards for lunch today, my very first time setting foot in the place. Considering I've lived in Washington for several decades, I guess it's a bit odd that I had never been there. The Oysters Rockefeller don't currently appear on their lunch menu, even though as I mentioned upthread somewhere they used to appear only on their lunch menu. But never mind, they had fried oysters, and they were terrific. I think they were $7.95 for a big plate of them, something like a dozen--big plump things beautifully fried. "Eggs Madison" to follow--like Benedict but with smoked salmon. Why Madison? I have no idea. Not bad, not great. The eggs were perfectly cooked, I have to say. They were accompanied by some very mushy fried potatoes with peppers. The place is a very interesting and pleasing succession of spaces as you move from the front to the back of the restaurant. I hope this place continues to exist, as I'm expecting to want to go back.

Cognoscenti always sit at the bar. I'm not a fan of the fried oyster (especially since Tackle Box now easily has the best ones in Washington), but their steak tartare is first-class and it's the last menu in town that has both Veal Oscar and Steak Diane! The Rockefellers are very satisfying in the evening.

Cognoscenti always sit at the bar. I'm not a fan of the fried oyster (especially since Tackle Box now easily has the best ones in Washington), but their steak tartare is first-class and it's the last menu in town that has both Veal Oscar and Steak Diane! The Rockefellers are very satisfying in the evening.
Sitting at the bar may be very nice for you cognoscenti muckety-mucks, but I was with my ancient mother, to whom bar-stools appeal very little. We were also three, which makes conversation at a bar a little difficult (especially when one of the three is rather hard of hearing). I will look forward, though, to joining the cognoscenti at the bar in future when I sup there solo. I thought the fried oysters rocked.

Sitting at the bar may be very nice for you cognoscenti muckety-mucks, but I was with my ancient mother, to whom bar-stools appeal very little. We were also three, which makes conversation at a bar a little difficult (especially when one of the three is rather hard of hearing). I will look forward, though, to joining the cognoscenti at the bar in future when I sup there solo. I thought the fried oysters rocked.

Totally understandable. Don't miss the Veal Oscar.

According to the new signage, it will now be called Rialto.  I assume that means Italian.  My short stroll down M Street today also revealed a new thai and sushi place going in where the infamous Garrett's used to be and a new wine bar called Eno on the corner of the Four Seasons driveway entrance.