Negril, Jamaican Eatery and Bakery in Several Area Locations

They used to have one down at Waterside Mall SE, and it was the only place to get a decent lunch down there. Next time you go, get a "side order," which is a curried chicken, minus the chicken. Served with a salad and rice-and-beans, it's hearty, healthy, and ridiculously cheap. It isn't on the menu, but they all know what it is. If you get this with a "meat loaf" - a sloppy-joe stuffed piece of coco bread which may just be my favorite individual food item in town for under $1.50 - you'll have an unbelievably good lunch for under $5.00. This place is great, and has been for a long time.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Hmmm Don's raving seems to have disappeared. Well, I went to Negril for lunch today and got the curry chicken and Cocoa Bread as suggested in the now missing post. First I should say that the bread was some of the best soft bread I have had in the area, however, I found the nicely cooked chicken to be lacking in curry flavor. It has a nice turmeric color, but not much flavor. I also really like the mango salad dressing that is offered at the counter. I will go back in a couple of weeks to give the jerk chicken a try.

Hmmm Don's raving seems to have disappeared. I also really like the mango salad dressing that is offered at the counter.

You're talking about the Matouk's hot sauce, right? If so, then that's a must squirt-on for either the "side order" or the curried chicken, although people should be warned that it's made with Scotch Bonnet peppers. I agree that the curried chicken isn't that curry-y, but it's always hot, moist (dark-meat only), and when you mix everything together - the gravy, rice-and-beans, and salad - and sop it all up with the coco bread, it's awesome.

Cheers,

Rocks.

You're talking about the Matouk's hot sauce, right?

Actually that was good as well, and really added flavor to the chicken, but on my salad I put the sweet mango dressing that was in a bottle next to the Matouk sauce, and it was quite good. The salad with this dressing was a good foil to the hot sauce.

You are right about the meat being moist and as I mentioned very nicely cooked.

also not on the menu but usually available if you ask are the "jerk drummies" or "drumettes" depending on who's working. they are the most satisfying wings in the area to my way of thinking. they come with the side salad and rice and peas described up thread; add some coco bread and a ginger beer and you are still walking out the door with change from a ten.

Friday night: Goat Roti, Jerk Chiken Sandwich, Rice and Peas, Loaf of Coco Bread, Three Ginger Beers - $20 bill and got change. Everything was as good as it always is here. On my way out the door, I gave myself a V-8 slap for not eating here more often.

A friend had Negril cater his wife's baby shower this past weekend and it was my first exposure to this place. They ordered rice & peas; curry chicken; beef & veggie patties; and jerk drumettes. I only tried the rice & peas, curry chicken, and jerk drumettes, and based on these tastings, I wished they had a closer location by me. Even if it was only OK curry chicken, per mojoman, I love how moist the curry and jerk chickens were.

Stopped in to the Downtown Silver Spring location for a snack of a meat pattie and fruit punch. Excellent.

What's frustrating, though, is that I interned at the World Building for an entire semester, always walking past Negril, and never stopped in. D'oh.

On 4/13/2016 at 3:33 PM, lion said:

I'm still very fond of the Jerk Chicken sandwich at Negril.

Forgot Negril. Wish they still had the jerk chicken burrito that they made when they had the additional little store front next door.. And patties are one of my favorite junk foods.