Mr. Yogato, Frozen Yogurt in Dupont Circle

Just came back from Mr. Yogato's opening with mixed feelings. They really emphasize the "fun" aspects of their restaurant, but found it overdone to the point of annoyance at times. The product is good, with a good number of flavors and a fantastic variety of toppings, but I found the different varieties were underflavored - i'm sure due to the fact that they're probably still working on their formula.

The space is also very small and the ordering system is a little confusing (you order at the register instead of going up to the people making the yogurt).

It's the first day, and there's a lot of promise here. I just hope that it doesn't get drowned out by the incoming wave of foreign frozen yogurt invaders.

Is the name in homage to Styx? :lol:
Sadly, completely has to do with Styx. In fact according to the "rules" of the place if Mr. Roboto comes on while you are in the store and you sing along you get 10% off.

I made an inaugural visit today. The product is good, though I really can't tell much difference between the soft and the tangy versions of the yogurt. I am with Apples & Banana that the fun is a bit annoying, it seems significantly less professional than TangySweet. But that is probably fine because I think their markets are going to be significantly different... TangySweet is in a great position to serve people during the business day, as well as residents of Dupont Circle and Georgetown at night.

For those interested they do have Mochi as a topping option.

Sadly, completely has to do with Styx. In fact according to the "rules" of the place if Mr. Roboto comes on while you are in the store and you sing along you get 10% off.

I made an inaugural visit today. The product is good, though I really can't tell much difference between the soft and the tangy versions of the yogurt. I am with Apples & Banana that the fun is a bit annoying, it seems significantly less professional than TangySweet. But that is probably fine because I think their markets are going to be significantly different... TangySweet is in a great position to serve people during the business day, as well as residents of Dupont Circle and Georgetown at night.

For those interested they do have Mochi as a topping option.

Mr. Yogato is the college keg party to TangySweet's martini happy hour.

And it's so good to see Mochi. I hope that TangySweet catches on.

So how is the taste compared to Tangysweet and old school froyo like TCBY? Is it more of a soft serve ice cream flavor or more like normal yogurt?

Tangysweet's original is very tangy and I found it to taste like lighty sweeted plain yogurt. Mr. Yogato's orignal tangy on the other hand is more like old school froyo, not a lot of tang. But don't misconstrue my comment about Mr. Yogato's froyo to sound like I didn't enjoy it, ohhh it was good!

I'm thinking that if you're in the mood for something really tangy go to Tangysweet. If you're in the mood for ice cream go to Mr. Yogato and if you're in the mood for something in the middle go to sweetgreen.

FroYo must be the new cupcake (or hamburger). The old CD Warehouse on the corner of 30th and M has Coming Soon signs for a frozen yogurt shop. Sorry can't remember the name, I was busy feeling sorry for the cd/record shop owners around the city.

FroYo must be the new cupcake (or hamburger). The old CD Warehouse on the corner of 30th and M has Coming Soon signs for a frozen yogurt shop. Sorry can't remember the name, I was busy feeling sorry for the cd/record shop owners around the city.

It's an Iceberry shop.

Does anyone know anything about this place?

It's an Iceberry shop.

Does anyone know anything about this place?

It's a franchise--I'm pretty sure there's a location in Reston. I was only there once a while ago, so I can't remember to compare it to the other froyo store I've been to more recently (Tangysweet)

Tangysweet's original is very tangy and I found it to taste like lighty sweeted plain yogurt. Mr. Yogato's orignal tangy on the other hand is more like old school froyo, not a lot of tang. But don't misconstrue my comment about Mr. Yogato's froyo to sound like I didn't enjoy it, ohhh it was good!
I agree with abby7ophelia's comment that Mr. Yogato's original tangy isn't as tangy as Tangysweet's, but with some drizzled honey over it, the yogurt certainly hit the spot after a nice long walk from Georgetown (needed a treat after my haircut and before work in F.West area!).

Tried the trivia and the lady manning the cash register was nice enough to give 5% for getting it half right. They're read from an old trivia pursuit game. Am ashamed for not remember a classic answer to a classic movie question though. :lol:

After two Tangysweet and two Yogato visits, I've determined I actually prefer Mr. Yogato's slightly sweeter variety of original froyo. However, I have been unable to find a good topping to pair to the yogurt, because my choice of starfruit the first time was bland and chocolate syrup the second time was too overpowering and contrasting.

However, I'm happy I got 5% off my yogurt the first time for ordering like Sean Connery..

I actually prefer Mr. Yogato's slightly sweeter variety of original froyo

Same here. I'm not sure whether I'll be a frequent visitor in the winter (although I can eat real ice cream all year round), but the lightness of it really hit the spot on Saturday afternoon in 96+ degrees.

I had a hard time with the toppings too. I went with mango, which wasn't bad.

The trivia and all the kitschy stuff is cute but makes me feel old. :lol: I was not brave (cheap?) enough to get my forehead stamped for 20% off.

The trivia and all the kitschy stuff is cute but makes me feel old. :lol: I was not brave (cheap?) enough to get my forehead stamped for 20% off.
Yeah it would take a lot for me to only save $1 to be someone's walking advertisement. That discount needs to be a lot higher.

I'm thinking that if you're in the mood for something really tangy go to Tangysweet. If you're in the mood for ice cream go to Mr. Yogato and if you're in the mood for something in the middle go to sweetgreen.

We went last night and had the Kiramel and found it very yogurty, so much so that we were both kind of sick of ours before we were finished. Call me crazy, but I'll take the TCBY-style froyo over this stuff any day of the week.

I also agree with everyone's comments about the ambiance of the place. I'm all for some fun, especially at a takeout ice cream/yogurt place, but this place is a bit much.

We went last night and had the Kiramel and found it very yogurty, so much so that we were both kind of sick of ours before we were finished. Call me crazy, but I'll take the TCBY-style froyo over this stuff any day of the week.

I also agree with everyone's comments about the ambiance of the place. I'm all for some fun, especially at a takeout ice cream/yogurt place, but this place is a bit much.

I really like the tangy, so much that I go and get a tangy with granola and fruit a few times a week. The flavored yogurts have been hit or miss for me, but I love me some tangy.

I have been to both TangySweet and Mr.Yogato.

I am a big fan of TangySweet's green tea, great flavor combo. The tannins of the green tea go really well with the sourness of the cultured yogurt. I'd just wish the green tea flavor was more pronounced, like japanese matcha.

I had the green tea with cocopuffs & black berries -- Very tasty.

Now for Mr. Yogato. They have their kitsch going on- the happy fruit drawings on the wall are fun, the trivia idea that if you get the question wrong, you get charged is kind of cute. But do I like their product?

Yes, it's tasty and people here are right, TangySweet and Mr. Yogato are going for two different types of markets. TangySweet is very stream lined and more of a franchise feel. Mr Yogato is going for a more laid back , neighborhood feel. Mr. Yogato is more easier for me to get to, so I go there more often.

I have had the mochi with the original tangy, kind of bland, love the texture tho- creamy and chewy.

I have gotten the Kiramel with Mandarin Oranges, toasted almonds, and honey. --This was very good.

I have also gotten the japanese plum powder, olive oil, and Original Tangy- sounds odd but I really love this combo. The tanginess of the plum powder went really nicely with the tang of the yogurt and the olive oil was good quality so was fruity and also had a nice bite of tannins. YUM.

Iggl- No CD Warehouse closed! Oh that is awful news. When did that happen? I must not get to Grorgetown that often. CD Warehouse has been open for ages and really had a great selection of hard to find electronica. Grrr.