9015 replies to this topic

#9001 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

Butter lettuce with shredded carrot, button mushrooms, garbanzo beans, and sunflower seeds; sesame ginger vinaigrette

Sherried mushroom soup (button and shiitake)

Mini penne with cauliflower and bacon 

Butter lettuce, carrot, and shiitakes came from outside vendors at Eastern Market today.  Some of the carrot also went into the soup.

The pasta recipe was from a blog and came out okay in the end but was a bit frustrating to make.  Among other things, the cauliflower didn't pan roast enough to be done before it was in danger of getting burned, so I had to microwave it for a couple of minutes to get it cooked through.  Overall, a satisfying meal, though.

#9002 TrelayneNYC

TrelayneNYC

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

13840299623_e349ca9145_z.jpg

Gambas al ajillo ("garlic shrimp").
  • DonRocks likes this

Simple Kitchen Seasons

"Always explore your garden and go to the market before you decide what to cook." --Alice Waters

#9003 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

Leftover roasted eggplant salad with butter lettuce leaves and whole wheat pita bread for serving

Pan-seared mustard-soy salmon

Spring potatoes with tarragon and garlic chives

Roasted brussels spouts with bacon

The potatoes were a simple preparation from Mark Ruhlman's blog.  I had bought the little red new potatoes, sprouts, chives, and butter lettuce outside at Eastern Market on Saturday.  (Tarragon came from inside the market.)  The salmon was bought frozen from Whole Foods months ago and had just been sitting in the freezer, waiting to be eaten.

#9004 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Easing back into solid food for dinner after a 15 day juicing adventure.  Mr. lperry says he wants to go every other day with the juicing for a while, so light and vegan is on the menu. 

Cider-glazed carrot and quinoa salad from the March 2013 Bon Appetit.  This is a delicious salad, especially with homemade pickled beets that are made with cider vinegar.  Hacks:  no dill in the garden, so no dill, no onion on hand, so a half cup or so of minced chives, and I used Meyer lemon, which didn't work.  I ended up squeezing some lime on it to get the acidity it needed to counteract the sweetness of the carrots.  A definite make again, and I look forward to trying it with the dill this summer.

#9005 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

Red and green leaf lettuce, sliced radishes, avocado, garbanzo beans, feta; ranch dressing

Leftover meatballs with anchovies, reheated in Rao's marinara sauce

Broccoli rabe and caramelized shallots (Bobby Flay recipe)

#9006 TrelayneNYC

TrelayneNYC

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

13870639983_8e7bbaa0eb_z.jpg

13870604135_ac989ee954_z.jpg

Oeufs mayo.

David [Lebovitz] calls for tomato in the salad, but I subbed French breakfast radishes instead; while greenhouse tomatoes *are* available at USGM, I didn't have those on hand.
  • DonRocks, Pat and lperry like this

Simple Kitchen Seasons

"Always explore your garden and go to the market before you decide what to cook." --Alice Waters

#9007 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

pan-roasted duck breast with sour cherry sauce

mushroom risotto (cremini, oyster, porcini)

braised lacinato kale

chocolate-orange cake with Trickling Springs salted caramel ice cream

2012 Curlew Vineyards RRV pinot noir

#9008 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

sauteed shad roe with brown butter shallot and herb sauce

spring strata: leftover baguette slices, butter, fresh fava puree, asparagus, parmesan and romano, custard mix

roasted carrots with butter and honey

2013 Drylands sauvignon blanc

#9009 TrelayneNYC

TrelayneNYC

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:11 AM

13889153184_f9d2499fa4_z.jpg

6 leeks, after about 30 minutes of steaming.

13888821553_55b253ea63_z.jpg

Mustard-bacon vinaigrette.

The amount of bacon here is about 3 rashers worth, chopped into not-quite pea size lardons, but close enough. The ratio of bacon to mustard is probably off by a little a lot, but that's okay; I need only satisfy myself. David's recipe (page 88) calls for 2 cups, but that serves approx. 4-6 people. I was fine with the reduced amount.

13888675375_ce15319377_z.jpg

Poireaux vinaigrette à la moutarde et aux lardons ("leeks with mustard-bacon vinaigrette").
  • Fishinnards likes this

Simple Kitchen Seasons

#9010 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

Steak, cheese, and mushroom pita sandwiches
Quinoa salmon salad
Steamed asparagus topped with bacon and toasted breadcrumbs

The steak was leftover prime rib from Christmas that had been in the freezer.  The cheese was Swiss.  The mushrooms were sauteed in butter.  After an open freezer door mishap :angry: , I had to pull some things out that started to thaw and toss or cook/use them.  That's how we ended up with steak sandwiches last night.  I also cooked some chicken that had started to thaw, and we'll have that tonight. 

The salmon already had a soy-mustard glaze, so I went with a sesame ginger vinaigrette over the salad, which also had sliced shiitakes and chopped scallions.

The asparagus was from Safeway.  The bacon and breadcrumbs were leftover from a pasta dish several days ago.

#9011 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Sun dried tomato hummus with toasted tortilla chips. 

#9012 lperry

lperry

leviathan

• Calendar Girl
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

A very quick and early dinner for one.  Penne in a roasted red pepper sauce, a glass of a cheap but quite enjoyable Piquepoul, and a piece of a dark chocolate/ginger bar. 

#9013 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Baby spinach salad with dates and almonds (from Jerusalem)

Clam chowder (white)

The salad continues a streak of hits from that cookbook.

#9014 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:02 AM

eco-friendly lamb shoulder stewed with white beans, carrots, red potatoes, celery root, kohlrabi, leek, haricots verts, and lots of aromatics.

garlic toast

2009 Fessy morgon

#9015 TrelayneNYC

TrelayneNYC

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:54 AM

13899531712_57e47f9f72_z.jpg

Boneless lamb shoulder.

I wasn't able to get bone-in lamb shoulder, but I imagine that's not going to be a huge issue. This was stuffed with slivers of heirloom garlic and oil-packed anchovy fillets, then rubbed with sea salt and black pepper. It sat in the fridge overnight and will be roasted later today.

This is 3 lbs., about $38 worth from Eataly.

13899521671_4cf2598e3d_z.jpg

1 tablespoon black cumin seeds and 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted in a dry pan over high heat until fragrant...

13899544202_d8993d1ec5_z.jpg

13899543832_21d40f27b5_z.jpg

...then ground in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder until it's a coarsely-textured powder.

13923084164_7323b38ccc_z.jpg

Each time I make chermoula, I almost always vary the green ingredients a little bit. There is not one recipe for this sauce, so feel free to come up with your own combinations. Clockwise from right: heirloom garlic, scallions, mint, arugula, cilantro.

Combine garlic, scallions, mint, arugula and cilantro in a food processor or blender, along with a pinch of sea salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper (or minced fresh or dried chiles; how much depends on how spicy you want your sauce). Other ideas include but are not limited to: preserved lemon, preserved orange.

Pulse until you have a rough-textured purée. Transfer the purée to a bowl, then pour in about 1/2 cup olive oil and add the cumin powder. Mix well.

13899519371_539474f208_z.jpg

Chermoula.

This is best the day it's made; its potency will diminish over time.

Along with the lamb, you can use it for just about anything imaginable -- with roast beef sandwiches, over pasta, stirred in scrambled eggs like so:

13923083134_f01fb2e03e_z.jpg

Creamy scrambled eggs, with French breakfast radishes and chermoula.

To be continued...

Simple Kitchen Seasons

#9016 TrelayneNYC

TrelayneNYC

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:54 AM

it's funny that Zora and I posted about the same thing.  LOL.

• DonRocks likes this

Simple Kitchen Seasons

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dinner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users