Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

A couple of red potatoes cubed, slowly pan-fried in butter until brown, topped with a little romano cheese, and choked down while thinking about the troglodyte who got on Mr. lperry's plane while teeming with a strain of influenza virus that wasn't in this year's vaccine.  Nothing like a socially irresponsible individual to give infectious disease a leg up.  Hopefully our appetites will be returning this week. 

I built a meal around the Mustard Chicken from David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen.  When I first planned to make the chicken, I had no idea we were on target to hit 90F today, but I went with it anyway.  At the end of the cooking time, I tossed in some gorgeous fresh spinach from one of the vendors outside at Eastern Market today and let it wilt a bit.  The chicken, spinach, and sauce were served over mashed potatoes.  Not a typical 90 degree day meal but very good.

• Like 1

I built a meal around the Mustard Chicken from David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen.  When I first planned to make the chicken, I had no idea we were on target to hit 90F today, but I went with it anyway.  At the end of the cooking time, I tossed in some gorgeous fresh spinach from one of the vendors outside at Eastern Market today and let it wilt a bit.  The chicken, spinach, and sauce were served over mashed potatoes.  Not a typical 90 degree day meal but very good.

Pat-- David Lebovitz will be at the Dupont Market this coming Sunday from 11-1. If you come and bring your book, you can get it signed. I loved his memoir, Living the Sweet Life in Paris, so I am tempted to buy this cookbook. I have so many French cookbooks, though...

• Like 1

Pat-- David Lebovitz will be at the Dupont Market this coming Sunday from 11-1. If you come and bring your book, you can get it signed. I loved his memoir, Living the Sweet Life in Paris, so I am tempted to buy this cookbook. I have so many French cookbooks, though...

I'd thought about going to that, but it's going to be hard to get off the Hill this Sunday morning.  Getting there around 1 could be feasible, but arriving near the end of the event might mean getting shut out.

Given how many cookbooks I have, I've gotten very selective about what I buy.  Personally, I think this book is worth the space it takes up.  I have a couple of his other books, including The Sweet Life and the ice cream book.

Last night was leftovers of the turkey burgers and tabbouleh.  I added bacon and sliced smoked gouda to the burgers this time around, as well as red onion, lettuce and some pineapple-avocado salsa.  Served on toasted sesame potato buns.  I also reheated some of the banana-jalapeno fritters that were still left.

After a long day at work I made some simple and easy Thai food. Tom Kha Gai ต้มข่าไà¸à¹ˆ (chicken boiled with galanga), Kai Jiew ไข่เจียว (Thai omelet) with ศรีราชา (Siracha) sauce, fresh vegetables and brown jasmine rice mixed with Thai red rice. I got two very fresh chicken leg and thigh pieces from Mom's organic market (I love it when the packing date is the day you are buying it, meat freshness makes a huge difference). I cut them into chucks through the bone and simmered them in water with a little salt for 45 minutes. Added many slices of young galanga, chunks of one stalk of lemongrass, some torn fresh kaffir lime leaves and some crushed Thai chillies (prik ee nu, the small hot ones), simmered a little longer and added some coconut milk, lime juice and fish sauce and cilantro. Easy! Pranqster went nicely with the food.

14004958879_4241ea86ff_z.jpg

• Like 3

Had a stash of rehydrated hominy in the freezer, used it last night for posole verde: hominy, pork, homemade chicken broth, poblanos, jalapenos, green onions, garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano, fennel seed, lots of black pepper, cilantro.  Also had some sheep/goat feta that needed to be used, so crumbled it on top.  Worked very well.

Chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Sourdough bread and extra virgin olive oil

Bay scallops on a bed of red onions

Spinach, artichoke, and quinoa casserole

The scallops are a Marian Burros recipe from The NY Times, ca. 1989.  I used to make this a fair amount but hadn't in a long time.  For some reason, I couldn't get the water to evaporate well enough when cooking down the onions this time.  I ended up having to drain some of it off instead.  I don't think I love this as much as I used to :unsure: .

Sourdough bread and extra virgin olive oil

Baby lettuces, red leaf lettuce, red bell pepper, cucumber, radishes, grape tomatoes, and peaches; sesame ginger vinaigrette

Beef and spinach manicotti with meat sauce

Roasted broccoli rabe with hot pepper flakes

The recipe I used called the pasta dish manicotti, but the recipe used beef and no ricotta, so it was probably cannelloni.  In any case, it wasn't authentically either one <_< .  I used boxed shells, which I usually have a hard time filling without tearing.  (I'm actually not sure why I had them in my pantry to begin with, but it inspired me to make the recipe when I saw it.)  This recipe calls for filling the shells without cooking them first, and it worked really well.  They cooked up just fine in the sauce Of course, I tore some of them taking them out of the pan to serve, but filling was no problem.

Veggie chili -- at veggie daughter's request.  Not sure whether she realizes this is a mom-cleans-out-the-fridge dish, using whatever veg looks like it better be cooked ASAP. Didn't look like a promising start (e.g. no zuke and our current shrooms are shitakes that deserve a better fate) -- but the celery, carrots, roasted red peppers, crisp yellow peppers, canned green chiles, kidney beans, and the usual blend of  garlic, lots of different kinds of dried chiles, and cumin has turned out surprisingly tasty (and pretty).   She's voted to experiment with cheddary mashed potatoes as the base on which the chili will be served.  So  I guess we're having upside-down veggie Texas Shepherd's Pie

Onion-dill-rye bread (Spring Mill Bakery) and butter

Salad of baby lettuces, peach, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and radish; ranch dressing

Leftover mustard chicken

Baked pork chop(s)

Curried carrot and radish greens

Mashed sweet potatoes with maple syrup and butter

My husband finished the last of the chicken.  I had a pork chop (seared on the stovetop and finished in the oven), and we have one left for another meal.  The sweet potatoes went on the grill after everything came off on Sunday and the grill was still plenty hot.  They were a bit overcooked to be reheated as they were, so I peeled the charred skins off and mashed them and reheated briefly in the microwave.

Cooked up the fish referenced in the District Fishwife thread. Grilled the Rockfish, which was one fat piece of fish.  Made a sauce by pureeing sorrel, chives and parsley in the food processor and stirring it into a buerre blanc, the idea being to make it more an herb crumble made pourable by the butter than a butter sauce enhanced by herbs, and it met with modest acclaim.  We also grilled the collars, which are gnarly looking, and did a semi-generic Asian dipping sauce from this article, except I forgot the scallions, which stared at me all night from the kitchen counter, annoyed at being overlooked, and added extra sugar and lime. To eat them, you kind of fish the flesh out of the nooks and crannies among the fins and bones, and it's very satisfying in the same way that getting an escargot out of its shell is.  I also enjoyed the collar meat's unexpectedly chicken-like texture.  I did feel a little guilty, though, enjoying fish that chewed like chicken for its texture in that fish should be enjoyed on its own account, and liking it for being like something else is like thinking that your girlfriend is cute because she looks like someone else.

Maybe I'm thinking too much.

We just grilled the octopus, which was probably actually squid, with with lemon and olive oil and garlic.  It was nice.

On the vegetable front, we served purple asparagus because the 7-year-old I helped babysit over the weekend had a thing for purple food going because of a lesson in school, complete with a bookmark with photos of "purple" foods, though I think blueberries are pretty obviously blue and not purple and I've always called it "red" cabbage.  I tried that Thomas Keller trick of pouring red wine vinegar in the blanching water to help keep the purple purple, with imperfect results.  Most of the stalks looked kind of green and washed out, like you'd accidentally thrown a red sock in with a load of pale green t-shirts.  The little chevrons on the side and the tips, though, retained the faded red of a neglected barn, making the stalks look like they'd been photoshopped or shot in infrared light.  Since we ran out of white wine vinegar and made the mustard vinagrette with red wine vinegar, it kind of complemented the asparagus and the whole thing looked a little like one of those experiments to see if lighting affects your appetite (it didn't).

gemelli with asparagus, sorrel, Stachowski brand Toulouse sausage, Parmersan, cream.

olive oil chocolate ganache with plain crackers for dessert

-----------

ISO ideas.  I have three jars of shrimp stock in the freezer that I'd like to use for something.  I've had a hankering recently for the seafood stew that BlackSalt used to serve (can't recall if it was supposed to be Portugese or Provencal).  Any ideas for a fairly simple and straightforward way to use the stock?  I did not grow up eating fish or seafood so I don't have any natural sense of what to do with that kind of ingredient when I have it on hand.

Egg salad sandwiches on onion-dill-rye toast

Leftover tabbouleh

Leftover stuffed zucchini

Leftover eggplant Parmesan

I was having a craving for egg salad and knew it would be great on the onion-dill-rye bread from Spring Mill Bakery that I had bought the day before.  Egg salad made with dill, tarragon, shallots, celery, lowfat yogurt and lowfat mayo (light blue Hellman's).

We have a lot of leftovers to go through...

-----------

ISO ideas.  I have three jars of shrimp stock in the freezer that I'd like to use for something.  I've had a hankering recently for the seafood stew that BlackSalt used to serve (can't recall if it was supposed to be Portugese or Provencal).  Any ideas for a fairly simple and straightforward way to use the stock?  I did not grow up eating fish or seafood so I don't have any natural sense of what to do with that kind of ingredient when I have it on hand.

One of my family's favorite dishes:

Buy some monkfish, squid, shrimp, mussels, or what-have-you. Saute onion and/or leek, fennel, garlic, red pepper. Add canned tomatoes, splash of white wine, bay leaf, bundle of thyme, tarragon, rosemary, parsley. Simmer for 10 minutes, add shrimp stock. Simmer and reduce for about half an hour or forty five minutes. Taste for salt.  Optional: splash of Pernod or other pastis. Cut fish in chunks, squid into rings. Add all the seafood and cook at a simmer until shellfish have opened and other elements are no longer translucent. Chop some fresh herbs to sprinkle on top. Serve with lemon wedges and good bread.

Vary aromatics and herbs to make it Italian or Latin. Or to make it more BlackSalt-ish, add some cooked chorizo or linguií§a.

• Like 1

Seafood stew based on Zora's advice above:

Red snapper, scallops, mussels in shrimp stock with tomatoes, fennel, a little carrot, a little onion, a little garlic, green olives, parsley, thyme, fennel seed, saffron, and a small amount of sausage that I picked up from Wagshall's a few months ago and froze.  It's a very dense, fine-textured and somewhat garlicky sausage that's great in bean and lentil dishes, but I simply can't remember what it is.  :-(

A few hunks of palladin from Bread Furst to go with it.

Ciao Bella coconut sorbetto for dessert.

As an aside, one of the things I love about the BlackSalt fish market is that the staff are incredibly helpful.  I do not often cook fish or shellfish (last night was the first time I've ever cooked mussels), but I love to improvise and not follow recipes.  I can go into BlackSalt and say "I have this [vague] idea, how should I do it?" and go out with some awesome ingredients and a clear notion of how not to ruin them.

• Like 1

Seafood stew based on Zora's advice above:

Red snapper, scallops, mussels in shrimp stock with tomatoes, fennel, a little carrot, a little onion, a little garlic, green olives, parsley, thyme, fennel seed, saffron, and a small amount of sausage that I picked up from Wagshall's a few months ago and froze.  It's a very dense, fine-textured and somewhat garlicky sausage that's great in bean and lentil dishes, but I simply can't remember what it is.  :-(

A few hunks of palladin from Bread Furst to go with it.

Ciao Bella coconut sorbetto for dessert.

As an aside, one of the things I love about the BlackSalt fish market is that the staff are incredibly helpful.  I do not often cook fish or shellfish (last night was the first time I've ever cooked mussels), but I love to improvise and not follow recipes.  I can go into BlackSalt and say "I have this [vague] idea, how should I do it?" and go out with some awesome ingredients and a clear notion of how not to ruin them.

Sounds fabulous. Were you happy with how it turned out?

^yes.  Thank you for the advice!  If I were playing critic, I'd say it needed a touch more acid (a good chug of white wine would've been perfect), and the snapper wasn't the best choice (too mild therefore a little overwhelmed by everything else).  I'll make it again, for sure.  I don't buy shrimp often, but now making shrimp stock with the shells will be SOP in my kitchen.

Last night: leftover seafood stew with more bread from Bread Furst.  I didn't expect the stew to keep and reheat well, but it did well enough.

• Like 1

last night:

a glass of vin gris, Bread Furst baguette, Taleggio

charcoal grilled herb brined eco-friendly pork chop with ZQ sauce

fresh corn polenta

Mother Stallard beans stewed with onion sauteed in bacon fat, aromatics and chopped prosciutto

sauteed baby kale

the rest of the bottle of vin gris

Satsuma mojitos made with satsuma juice from the freezer.

Red potato and baby arugula salad tossed with an herb and mustard vinaigrette.  I had a few other greens that needed thinning,  so there was also a little amaranth and yu choi in there.  The garlic chives are wonderful right now from all the rain - grassy with just a little hint of garlic.  To counteract TrelayneNYC and Fishinnards' gorgeous photos, here's my potato salad being served from the metal mixing bowl on top of our pollen-ated table on the deck. :P

post-3913-0-15770000-1401031339_thumb.jp

Also present was a bottle of rosé from Provence.

last night:

charcoal grilled, herb-brined chicken thighs basted with zq sauce (cooked with the pork chops the night before and re-heated)

potato salad with hard boiled egg, mustard, pickles, green garlic and dill (bound with mayo and yogurt)

red cabbage and fennel slaw, lime vinaigrette, serrano chile, and cilantro

leftover Mother Stallard beans

Devil's Backbone Vienna lager

Somen (thin wheat noodles eaten cold), served with tsuyu (dashi, soy sauce, and mirin) for dipping

Grated ginger and sliced green onion for  the tsuyu (dipping sauce)

Miso-grilled sweet potatoes

Quick cucumber pickles (rice vinegar, mirin, sugar, and a dried togarashi pepper)

Steamed catfish, served with yuzu ponzu for dipping

Grilled maitake mushrooms and asparagus, steeped in dashi and light soy sauce

Dinner tonight: grilled five spice pork chops, sugar snap slaw with miso dressing, and rice. Dessert: homemade strawberry ice cream, fresh strawberries, and shortcake

A simple Spanish grenache based wine (Borsao) was all that was needed to accent the asian flavors here.

Vegetables, very spicy tamarind chilli dip (nam prik makham น้ำพริà¸à¸¡à¸°à¸‚าม) Thai omelet (khai jiew ไข่เจียว) with Shark Sriracha, stir fried chicken in curry paste with green beans (gai pad prik khing ไà¸à¹ˆà¸œà¸±à¸”พริà¸à¸‚ิง) and chicken skin, with jasmine rice.

14247480256_e7dbca2b79_z.jpg

• Like 1

The radishes needed thinning, so various radishes served with butter and salt.

Grits with radish greens and goat's cheese, topped with shirred eggs.

Rosé from Provence.

It's nice to be eating out of the garden again. :)

• Like 1

meatless monday:

linguini with green garlic/basil/spinach pesto

marinated grilled cauliflower with charcoal roasted red peppers

semolina/almond cake topped with rhubarb and soaked with the spiced syrup that the rhubarb cooked in

2012 Terra do Castelo godello

Red and green leaf lettuce, radishes, cucumber, grape tomatoes, avocado, bacon, and pea shoots; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Cheesesteaks (thinly sliced grilled ribeye, provolone, caramelized red onions, sauteed button mushrooms)

I had an extra baguette left from supplies for a party the day before and cut two generous sandwich rolls from that.  The rest of the bread will be croutons for tonight.  Not a genuine Philly cheesesteak  <_< .