Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

We had a big lunch, so salad for dinner.  Red romaine, avocado, and Manchego in a tarragon, Dijon vinaigrette.  The mosquitoes are still MIA, so we are eating on the deck.  We expect them to push us onto the screened porch any day now.

Impromptu BBQ last night - grilled a bunch - honey dijon chicken, red bell peppers, sweet onions, corn, and store-bought sausages plus best grilled item was the romaine lettuce (quick brush of canola oil, sprinkling of Montreal grill seasoning) and once it came off the grill some heavy spoonfuls of quick, freeform salsa verde (chooped chives, oregano, cilantro from the garden, a bunch of olive oil, a few splashes of red wine vinegar, a small chopped garlic clove and a pinch of berbere spice (I couldn't find the chili flakes in my cabinet grab).

Mojitos with mint from the garden and neighbor's soda stream water. Neighbors brought some salad. We also had whole wheat pita, homemade hummus, and eggplant caviar (Foods of Israel by Joan Nathan recipe).

Panaeng curry with chicken and kabocha squash (à¹à¸žà¸™à¸‡à¹„à¸à¹ˆà¹„ส่ผัà¸à¸—อง) roasted eggplant salad (ยำมะเขือเปราะ), jasmine rice and vegetables.

Noodle night. à¸à¹‹à¸§à¸¢à¹€à¸•à¸µà¹‹à¸¢à¸§à¸£à¸²à¸”หน้าเนื้อ Rad Na, wide fresh rice noodles with beef (Ayrshire farm) and Chinese broccoli in "gravy". Bourbon and ginger ale.

Last night was leftover pizza.  As a note Il Canale pizza doesn't reheat well.

But my work on Saturday paid off for lunch today.  On Saturday I put a little avocado on a sandwich, turned the rest into guacamole.  I had a little olive tapenade left and combined it with a can of tuna packed in olive oil and added some capers for a nicoise tuna salad. And made some hard boiled eggs.  Soooo today I had a nicoise salad with spinach, tuna salad, some leftover lyonnaise potatoes from brunch at Lyon Hall and a hard boiled egg.  Really good lunch today (well and tomorrow as I have enough for two days).  And two small discs of chocolate from Artisan Confections.

Tonight I will have some leftover brown rice with "fiesta chicken" made in the crockpot with the guacamole I made.  Woohoo go planning.

Roasted baby turnips, young carrots, purple asparagus, red new potatoes, and shallots

Pan-roasted garbanzo beans with dukkah

Wild rice blend with white, brown, and red rices

A little of this and that:

Cream of broccoli soup with wild rice mix

Baguette with cream cheese and smoked salmon (run under broiler)

Tortilla chips, guacamole, and sour cream

Roasted cauliflower

Last night was more chicken fiesta (for any of the unknowing it is a packet of McCormick spices for the crockpot that goes with corn, chicken breast and black beans) thawed from the freezer a few days prior, that I put in corn tortillas that I baked until they were fairly crispy, but still shapeable with the last of the homemade guacamole, some greek yogurt, a little shredded cheddar cheese and lettuce.  It was much better this way than over the rice.  It needed some crispy element with it.  Anyway not bad tacos, although messy tacos.  

Seared peppered albacore tuna loin (wild-caught from NJ)

Pan-roasted grape tomatoes and scallions

Whole wheat pita bread and Cava roasted garlic hummus

Tzatziki

Cold cauliflower salad with roasted hazelnuts, chickpeas, marinated artichoke hearts, and wild rice mix

The salad was a riff on the Ottolenghi roasted cauliflower salad with hazelnuts and pomegranate seeds that I made a lot during the winter.  A bit of the marinade from the artichoke hearts functioned as dressing for the salad beyond the olive oil that was used to roast the cauliflower.  It worked really well with the last of the wild, white, brown, and red rice mix I had left from a previous night.  Really an overall good meal combination.

Chopped chicken salad (Laap Gai ลาบไà¸à¹ˆ) leftover panang curry with kabocha (à¹à¸žà¸™à¸‡à¹„à¸à¹ˆà¹„ส่ผัà¸à¸—อง) omelet (ไข่เจียว), vegetables, jasmine rice, Ommegang Abby Ale.

14125664708_b9c211a5e4_z.jpg

Recipe, please?

It's adapted from a David Lebovitz recipe and a few others I found on the interwebs that included the butter.  The basic proportion is two cups of nuts to one cup of sugar.   Any type of nuts will work, almonds and cinnamon are wonderful at the holidays, and, if I want spices, I whisk them into the sugar so they cook in the pan and toast on the stove.

I use raw nuts and toast them in my toaster oven in a cast iron pan.  Everything comes together much more nicely on the stove if it is all hot when it gets there.  Take the pan to the stove when the nuts are to your liking,  put it over a medium flame, and add the sugar.  Sprinkle in a couple of tablespoons of water to help it melt.  Lebovitz uses 1/3 cup and I have found that is too much - some recipes use no water, so go with what is comfortable to you.  The smoking hot cast iron will begin to caramelize the sugar, and stir stir stir until the sugar starts to melt, but you still want it grainy, so don't let it go until completely melted.  When it's as caramelized, melty and grainy as you want, drop in a knob of butter - maybe a tablespoon for two cups of nuts - stir it in until melted and distributed, immediately spread them on a silpat, and sprinkle with a flaky salt while they are still hot.  Then try not to eat the whole batch before your guests arrive. :)

• Like 1

Last night:

Grilled hamburgers w/smoked gouda, pea shoots, bacon

Whole wheat hamburger buns

Grilled chicken legs

Grilled spicy Italian turkey sausages

Grilled zucchini

Wilted baby turnip greens with bacon and onion

Saturday I made a Malaysian style chicken curry. Sauteed a Cinnamon stick, star anise, cardamon pod and a clove with onions, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and curry leaves in some coconut oil. Added some tomato, salt, curry powder (Parrot Brand curry powder because I can't get Babas anymore), turmeric, hot chilli powder and a few pieces of chicken, some coconut milk and some halved small potatoes. I also stir fried some Chinese broccoli with garlic and soy sauce. Jasmine rice.

Sunday I did an impromptu cooking class for a couple of my neighbors. One of them is a pescatarian so I made tod mun pla, deep fried fish cakes with sweet and sour cucumber sauce (ajad) . I also made som tom Thai (green papaya salad) and a quick curry of kabocha pumpkin (gaeng kua sai fak tong), raw vegtables and jasmine rice. They brought lots of beer and a good time was had by all. Sorry no photos...

• Like 1

Salad of red and green leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, and radishes; ranch dressing

Shirataki noodles with harissa, chopped grilled zucchini, and sliced grilled hot Italian turkey sausage

Sweet corn, mango tacos, mostly from Martha Stewart.  Hacks: feta instead of cotija to eliminate the bovine lactose issues, I steamed the corn, I used about half Key lime juice and zest, chives instead of scallions, and a bit more freshly-ground piquin pepper than the recipe suggests for cayenne.  The mangos were an Ataulfo type, a crate of 16 for $9.99 at Super H.  Excellent quality.

This is a wonderful recipe (despite my substitutions), and a combination I never would have thought out on my own.  Summer on a plate, quick and easy, and the only thing I had to pick up at the store was a pack of tortillas.

lamb biryani, made with aged basmati rice (lamb marinated in yogurt, garlic paste, ginger paste, Punjabi garam masala, mint, etc)

carrots and peas in a dill sauce (with toasted garbanzo bean flour)

strawberries on waffles with whipped cream (extra waffles from weekend brunch popped into the freezer for dessert emergencies like this)

For some reason I walked out of an Indian grocery store with a 10 pound sack of aged basmati, fearing that it would take me a year to use that much rice.  Damn that stuff is tasty.  I've been eating it for breakfast, too.  I think later this week I'll make an old favorite with it: sweet rice with carrots from Madhur Jaffrey's cookbook.

Anyone have a good recipe for quabili pallow?

• Like 1

Is there any other type of chilaquiles? (Maybe you imply something baked?)

I guess I don't know the proper definition of "casserole" off the top of my head.

I believe a casserole is always baked, as this is.  I also call it that because that's the name of the dish  :) .  It's a Mollie Katzen recipe published in The Ladies Home Journal a couple of decades ago.  A version of it is also in one of her books.

It calls for corn tortillas, cheese, chilies, eggs, buttermilk, cumin, oregano, onions, garlic.  It's great for using up extra tortillas or buttermilk, but sometimes I buy those just to make it.  It's one of my old standby, tried-and-true recipes.

Saag Gosht, lamb with kale, or actually, kale with lamb, as I only used 1 lb. of meat and a large bunch of kale (saag can be any green, but there is no kale in Punjab AFAIK, so this is "inauthentic" saag gosht). Cooked without a recipe. I will recount here what I did so I can remember in the future. In the pressure cooker put peanut oil and when hot added whole garam masala of 4 whole cloves, 3 cardamom pods, one black cardamom pod, a Cinnamon stick, a bay leaf, two pinches of black cumin seeds, and two dried chillies, then added chopped onion and cooked till almost brown, added meat, cut into 1" cubes, and sauteed some more (bhunao technique, South Asia understood the so called Maillard reaction long before the French... probably), added chopped garlic and ginger (about 2 tablespoons of each), sauteed some more, added, ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, hot chilli powder, and salt. Sauteed some more, added some yoghurt a little at a time stirring and stirring, added two chopped tomatoes, and little water and then closed the pressure cooker and cooked at full pressure for ten minutes. Meanwhile, washed and chopped a large bunch of kale. Added kale to the lamb and cooked at full pressure again for 5 minutes. Added some garam masala powder and it was done.

Also made Gohbi Aloo (cauliflower and potatoes) and cucumber raita. Had with lots of rice. Maybe tonight I'll have the leftovers with chapatis, but probably not. Rice is easier.

Red and green leaf lettuce with indigo frisee, cucumber, radishes, bacon, avocado, chopped scallions, raspberries, roasted hazelnuts, and truffled goat cheese; white wine vinaigrette

Fresh green peas cooked with with mint and dill

Kale and indigo frisee braised in homemade chicken broth with bacon and onions

Wild, white, brown, and red rice mix cooked in homemade chicken broth

Scrambled eggs

Pork loin, tofu, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, and Chinese eggplant, marinated in soy sauce, sherry, mirin, sesame oil, and grated ginger and grilled

Steamed rice

Hourenso no karashi-su -- parboiled spinach, chilled and served with a soy sauce/vinegar/Japanese mustard dressing

• Like 1

Risotto with roasted cherry tomatoes (freezer) and radish greens (garden), finished with goat's milk cheese and a little pecorino romano.

Daiquiris.  I'd be making mojitos to help wipe out the mint region of the yard, but my ice crusher broke.  I need to go buy a meat pounder.

Last night was NY strip steak, crusted with Adam's Steak seasoning on one side, SP on the other.  Green Beans that had been marinated in italian dressing and quinoa with zucchini, broccoli and tomatoes with a little vinegar.  And some sourdough bread.  Mountfair wine I forget which one.

Last night was chicken with an apple bbq sauce I picked up at the Eastern Market.  I really liked the flavor of the sauce.  It isn't real bbq-like.  More just a good sauce.  Made a quick cole slaw with nappa, polblanos, onion, goat cheese and some radish with oil and vinegar.  We finished off the non-frozen loaf of sourdough from SF.

Is there any other type of chilaquiles? (Maybe you imply something baked?)

I guess I don't know the proper definition of "casserole" off the top of my head.

Chilequiles do not need to be a casserole.  In Mexico you can get them where they are basically just corn chips tossed with your choice of green or red salsa, cotija cheese, cilantro, and maybe some cooked chicken or ham.  They are basically a tossed "salad" of chips.

Baked polenta topped with lots of Parmesan cheese and a quick saute of mushrooms, zucchini, red bell peppers, baby spinach, parsley, Aleppo pepper, and Irish banger sausage.

I wanted to try making polenta in the rice cooker.  I'd found previously that for grits, you need to use a lot of water, else they come out lumpy.  With polenta, you need to use a lot more.  It came out lumpy, but I transferred it to a large mixing bowl and whisked the heck out of it.  Came out okay, if still a little too soft for baking.  Oh well.  At least I didn't have to scrub a pot.

...I wanted to try making polenta in the rice cooker.  I'd found previously that for grits, you need to use a lot of water, else they come out lumpy.  With polenta, you need to use a lot more.  It came out lumpy, but I transferred it to a large mixing bowl and whisked the heck out of it.  Came out okay, if still a little too soft for baking.  Oh well.  At least I didn't have to scrub a pot.

I got it to work in my rice cooker by whisking the polenta into the cold water before it went in.  I wonder if different powered cookers yield different results? Mine is not induction, so it cooks a little more slowly, I think.

I haven't had holy basil since last year. Ever since the fire at Bangkok 54 I haven't had a source. I have tiny little plants sprouting, so hopefully soon I will have a garden full of it. Yesterday, I went to Fresh Mart in Springfield and was very excited to find holy basil. Kapow, grapao, kaprow, à¸à¸°à¹€à¸žà¸£à¸² is the Thai word for holy basil. The Indian word is Tulsi. It has become my goal to convince health nuts that fresh Tulsi is a "superfood" of great value that you must have in your diet so you will live forever and be happy all the time. I have reaped the culinary benefits of other health fads, i.e. fresh turmeric is now available easily, as is coconut oil. Tulsi is already getting a reputation as a "superfood", but in dried form as a tea. I need to convince people that the health benefits are even more pronounced in the fresh herb, so I can selfishly be able to get fresh holy basil whenever I want.

14222430390_b9af4823d6_n.jpg

It's an adaptogen!!! When you eat it you feel great!!! I know I do, especially with lots of chillies. Last night I made pad kapow (which means holy basil stir fry, which I never get a any local Thai restaurant, because they never use kapow, they use horopa, or Thai basil, a completely different taste, and a completely different name. I know why they do this, holy basil is hard to grow in this climate, as it only likes hot weather, and it's extremely perishable, but they don't do this in Thailand because holy basil is better).

หมูผัดใบà¸à¸°à¹€à¸žà¸£à¸², Mu pad bai kapow, pork stir fried with holy basil leaves, jasmine rice and à¹„ข่ดาว, crispy fried egg on top. Heaven!!

14222957790_c9b07f2e6a_z.jpg

• Like 3

I got it to work in my rice cooker by whisking the polenta into the cold water before it went in. I wonder if different powered cookers yield different results? Mine is not induction, so it cooks a little more slowly, I think.

What ratio of polenta to water do you use?

Assam mango

Didn't you recently have an Alphonso? If so, how would you compare them? (Not qualitatively, but descriptively)

There aren't many pictures of Assam mangos on the internet. I wonder if there's a relationship between Assam tea and Assam mangos (Assam is a state in India, and their teas are big, brown, and sloppy - best had with milk and sugar. A friend calls them the "Chateauneuf-du-Pape of teas.")

I suppose you could have an Alphonso that was grown in Assam, so this might (almost literally) be comparing apples and oranges, or more accurately, Braeburn Apples and California Apples.

so this might (almost literally) be comparing apples and oranges

I've always wondered what the hell is wrong with comparing apples and oranges? Isn't it like comparing, say, Hamlet and Oedipus? Yes, they're different, but if they were the same why would you bother comparing them?

I got it to work in my rice cooker by whisking the polenta into the cold water before it went in.  I wonder if different powered cookers yield different results? Mine is not induction, so it cooks a little more slowly, I think.

I had the same thought (wrt whisking polenta into water first), once I saw the lumps.  oops.  And I'll echo squidsdc's question: what ratio?

Last night's picnic for symphony pops Beatles tribute:

Cantaloupe and proscuitto

Salad of fresh, roasted corn; chopped tomatoes, basil, mint, viniagrette

Ditalini pasta with diced red and orange bell pepper; cucumber, flaked, poached salmon, fresh thyme and tarragon in a lemon/dijon/maple dressing

A pale, dry rose

The weather was cool, breezy and just perfect and the music was wonderful.