Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

A "use what's in the fridge" dinner: leftover lentil salad, the last of the queso de mano, a piece of baguette that had been in the freezer, and romaine lettuce with a lemon/dill/may dressing.  I always make oil and vinegar dressings, but had some mayo leftover from making tuna salad earlier in the week.  Also had dill and half a lemon on hand, so there it was.

I love improvising in the kitchen.

Guacamole and tortilla chips

Roasted tri-tip

Barbecue beans

Grilled marinated asparagus

We had intended to grill outside last night but discovered at the last minute that the amount of charcoal we had left from last season was not enough  :angry: .  Should've checked that ahead of time...Instead, the Costco tri-tip I had (4 1-lb. pieces) that had already been rubbed with spices from the big bag of mystery rub that I usually use on pork (cayenne, paprika, garlic, brown sugar, ???) went into the oven on convection roast for about 20 minutes, turned halfway through.  This brought them to about 130-135F, and they sat until I finished the meal.  Sliced thinly against the grain, they were a medium medium rare.

The asparagus, from Gardener's Gourmet, had already been marinated in bottled sesame vinaigrette, so I cooked that up on a grill pan.

I'd pulled out my old Santa Maria pinquito bbq beans recipe for an accompaniment the day before, only to discover that I was out of pinquito beans.  I substituted Rancho Gordo vaquita beans, which worked fine.  Those had been simmering on the stove while we did our "ack!  we're out of charcoal" routine.

Now I've got to get some more charcoal.  And pinquito beans :rolleyes: .

14064144913_684412e4f7.jpg

à¹à¸à¸‡à¹€à¸œà¹‡à¸”เนื้อà¸à¸±à¸šà¸Ÿà¸±à¸à¹€à¸‚ียว (red curry with beef and zucchini) à¹à¸à¸‡à¸ˆà¸·à¸”ผัà¸à¸à¸²à¸”ดองà¸à¸±à¸šà¹€à¸«à¹‡à¸” (mild soup with pickled mustard greens and mushrooms) ไข่เจียว (Thai omelet w/ Shark Siracha sauce) ส้มตำไทย (green papaya salad "tum Thai"), vegetables (sorrel from the yard, cucumber, yellow carrot, orange carrot, cabbage, daikon radish) and rice (brown jasmine and Thai red rice mix).

Indian cheese bread from David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen

Lamb curry

Leftover eggplant pilaf (the last of) with additional chopped tomatoes

I hadn't made naan in a long time, and the Lebovitz recipe is fantastic.  The dough didn't seem as though it had grown enough after the second 30 minute rest period to yield 6 balls of dough, so I put it under the heat lamp for a while until it looked a little fuller. The recipe calls for 2 triangles of Laughing Cow cheese per flatbread.  It seemed like they might be fussy to make (especially with the addition of the cheese), but they weren't fussy at all.  Definitely making these again.

We have three naan left and I'm trying to figure out the best way to reheat, probably just a brief time on a hot griddle.

savory greens and mushroom pancakes* with lime butter

re-heated smoke-grilled lamb chops**

a bottle of rosé

*taking Ottolenghi's recipe for spinach pancakes in Plenty as a starting point, I used a mix of spinach, young kale, green garlic, and dandelion greens and crimini mushroom duxelles in the pancakes, substituting homemade cultured buttermilk for the sweet milk in the original recipe.

**a large number of lamb chops purchased at Costco were grilled a few days ago, more than we could eat at the time, and I purposely undercooked some of them so that they would be pink inside when re-heated.

Mesclun and mache salad with Campari tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, and radishes; miso ginger vinaigrette

Leftover naan

Leftover lamb curry

White rice with black beans

The naan reheated fine in a hot cast iron skillet.

13884691578_07007b694a_z.jpg

French breakfast radishes, chive mayonnaise

13884683837_58e83e431a_z.jpg

Máche, sucrine and herb salad, shallot vinaigrette.

Salad: máche, sucrine, baby mesclun, sorrel, mint leaves, parsley leaves, oregano leaves

Vinaigrette: mince some shallots, then sprinkle a pinch of salt on them and macerate in: 1 tablespoon red wine, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, for 5 minutes. Whisk in 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and taste for black pepper. Use as needed.

14068095641_11b119f022_z.jpg

Roast chicken with sorrel stuffing (stuffed the chicken with sorrel leaves, seasoned with sea salt and black pepper); broccoli rabe, with anchovy, garlic and red wine vinegar

• Like 1

It's "clean out the freezer" time.  Tuesday: vegetable soup and part of a baguette.  Last night: a mushroom stuffing (with Parmesan and fine breadcrumbs) tossed with butter and fettucine; spinach with pine nuts and golden raisins.

Tonight, dinner for friends:

whiskey (not sure which one yet)

selection of cheeses

marinated olives

salami secchi

roasted asparagus with aleppo pepper and young manchego

farro with roasted red bell peppers

lentils with fennel and tarragon

assorted mushrooms with garlic and parsley

gambas al ajillo

baguette

angel food cake with lemon cream sauce

Mesclun and mache salad with Campari tomatoes, cucumber, mushrooms, roasted hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, and radishes; meyer lemon and white balsamic vinaigrette

Leftover cheese naan

Leftover lamb curry

Leftover white rice with black beans

I'm jonesing for Greenmarket asparagus right now...well, maybe this weekend there will be. Been a long winter...

14075030542_b210c2c3d5_z.jpg

Crudités plate -- celery sticks, carrot sticks, steamed heirloom potatoes, raw French breakfast radishes, hard-cooked farm egg w/anchovy; chive mayonnaise, lemon vinaigrette.

14074991051_5a36cd0759_z.jpg

Chickweed, sorrel and mint salad; hazelnut vinaigrette

14098232643_20824d5cb7_z.jpg

14075029492_01b5823f95_z.jpg

Spaghetti, with squid, ramps and toasted herbed breadcrumbs

Spinach salad with bacon, hard-boiled eggs, mushrooms, feta, and tomato; meyer lemon-white balsamic vinaigrette

Rosemary mustard pork tenderloin

Leftover escarole and shallots

Baked sweet potatoes

some leftovers from Thursday: asparagus, olives, mushrooms tossed with spaghetti and the last of the manchego; a sauce made from black raspberries and blueberries (frozen last summer) and lightly whipped cream went over the last of the angel food cake.

A meal that pulled together remarkably quickly last night:

Toasted pumpernickel bagels with cream cheese

Baked cod with ramp chimichurri

Roasted new potatoes (with additional chimichurri)

Broccoli in cheese sauce

last night:

impromptu dinner party starting with City of Light cocktails, which were superb--it's going to be my go-to summer drink. Very light and refreshing, not too sweet.

with drinks, we had artichoke tapenade

roasted mushrooms stuffed with pimenton, P'tit Basque and homemade preserved meyer lemon

cucumbers with za'atar

marcona almonds

homemade cultured butter

Pedro Pan's homemade bread

charcoal grilled, spice rubbed ribeyes with chimichurri (Suzanne Goin's recipe, with cherry tomatoes)

over sauteed roasted pepper strips and haricots verts with olive oil,lemon and garlic on arugula

apricot frangipane tart with B&J's vanilla ice cream and Peet's espressos

2011 El Felino malbec

tonight:

salad with mache, mixed lettuces, misc. crunchy veg, avocado, feta, pinenuts, lemon vinaigrette

de cecco bowtie pasta with fresh shrimp in garlic cream

a 2013 rosé

Bean and cheese dip with tortilla chips

Big salad:

Butter lettuce and mache, sliced tri-tip roast, steamed asparagus, tomato, strawberries, goat cheese, tomato-yogurt vinaigrette

Really only one ounce of prosecco per drink? Seems like it should be at least three. Sounds nice, though.

Yeah, we found that ratio was way off. We cut back on the orange liqueur and added a lot more prosecco. Really delicious drink. We had it again tonight.

along with Humboldt Fog and Taleggio, leftover artichoke tapenade, olives, cukes and Stachowski Genoa salami.

charcoal-roasted, applewood smoked, quick-brined chicken thighs with ZQ sauce

spice rubbed grilled hanger steak

mixed green salad with lemon vinaigrette

spring green rice: Tilda basmati (yes it's back!) mixed with green garlic, green onion, dandelion greens, spinach, Italian parsley, asparagus and feta

almond cake made with part almond flour, olive oil and roasted almond oil, orange zest, topped with poached green figs (they were bought frozen and the cake was soaked with reduced syrup that the figs were poached in--spiced with orange zest, black cardamom, star anise, vanilla bean

sweetened, vanilla scented whipped cream

2011 Bogle phantom

2012 Clos Robert cabernet

• Like 1

Cream of watercress, mushroom, and potato soup with chimichurri

Grilled chicken breasts and drumsticks

Grilled blue oyster mushrooms with lemon-parsley-garlic sauce

Leftover broccoli and cheese sauce

The template for the soup was a Mollie Katzen recipe.  I had a gorgeous bunch of watercress that I had bought from the farmer's line at Eastern Market--from Long Meadow Farm in Shenandoah Valley, WV--and was looking for a way to use it.  They're the small stand at the C Street end that has gorgeous mushrooms and pots of fresh herbs.  I also had some shiitakes from them and some white button mushrooms from Giant, as well as leftover roasted potatoes, and that recipe fit the bill.  I added some whole milk after I pureed it and swirled some ramp chimichurri I had left through the soup as well to add an extra layer of garlic and more green.

The blue oyster mushrooms done on the grill were also from Long Meadow Farm.  In addition, I've been buying their butter lettuce frequently too.  That was in the salad we had Saturday night.  The produce is great quality and the prices are quite reasonable.

honey mushrooms and chanterelles cooked briefly in butter and olive oil with garlic and parsley, tossed with linguine fini

some ash-coated goat cheese picked up from the affineur at the Bethesda farmers market

leftover roasted asparagus

marinated olives

Pasta salad (whole wheat fusilli, leftover chopped grilled chicken breast, Campari tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, scallions, and tarragon; creamy tomato dressing)

Millet-vegetable patties

It sounded quite odd at first, but when I stumbled across fresh morels and new asparagus at the Dupont market Sunday and googledjust to see if there was anything non-obvious to do with them in combination, a couple of recipes suggested throwing some tarragon atop the two.

I blanched the asparagus, sauteed the morels in butter with diced shallots, threw the two together and topped with chopped tarragon, conveniently available at the Gardener's Gourmet stand. The herb lifted a pretty OK combination well into the stratosphere.  It was kind of like something that Colicchio and Sons or, closer to home, Rose's Luxury might do: stupidly simple but unexpectedly transformative.

• Like 4

post-10608-0-06699300-1399442061_thumb.j

Rillettes de sardines ("sardine spread").

The recipe for this is from pages 78-79 of "My Paris Kitchen".

B (my boyfriend; let's just call him "B" for now) remarked that it was quite delicious and addictive. It's also somewhat rich and best consumed over time, or at a dinner party. I halved the proportions David calls for in the original recipe, and subbed lemon juice for lime juice, but otherwise it's as written.

post-10608-0-38266600-1399442082_thumb.j

post-10608-0-77965700-1399442097_thumb.j

Salade parisienne, chive mayonnaise.

Clockwise from top right -- cold roast chicken; Jerusalem artichokes; carrot sticks; French breakfast radishes; celery sticks. Not shown are boiled heirloom potatoes.

I adore salade parisienne (better known as "leftovers"). It's perfect for a grazing dinner, and best of all, you can do this year-round. Basically, it's slightly warm or cold cooked meats and vegetables with dipping sauces. Although I had herb mayonnaise, the classic accompaniment is sauce moutarde.

Other ideas include: roast beef, roast turkey, hard-cooked eggs with anchovy fillets; haricot verts or green beans; cherry tomatoes or tomato wedges; pickled pearl onion; steamed Japanese turnips; heirloom radishes.

a couple of recipes suggested throwing some tarragon atop the two.

It bugs me to no end that tarragon is so difficult to find in stores.  It's underrated.  Incredibly versatile.  Try using it instead of basil with your favorite tomato recipes, just for a change of pace.

Last night: a simple vegetable soup (carrot, celery, fennel, potato, peas in fennel broth) and an aged goat cheese, with pain au levain from Bread Furst. A few marinated olives on the side; the liquid was great on the bread.

Carribean crab pilaf with coconut milk

This is a recipe from Susan Spicer's Crescent City Cooking that's been published online in a number of places.  There were going to be other things for dinner in addition, but I was late enough getting started that just getting this on the table was an achievement.  It doesn't take all that long to cook, but I hadn't made it in quite a while, and that slowed me down further.  It's got a bit of curry powder in it and is finished with fresh cilantro and basil (I used parsley instead of the basil). Really good dish.

It bugs me to no end that tarragon is so difficult to find in stores.  It's underrated.  Incredibly versatile.  Try using it instead of basil with your favorite tomato recipes, just for a change of pace.

Super H has had tarragon every time I've been in the store, and that is fairly frequently.  They have recently been packing it in those little plastic clamshells, which I don't particularly like, but if your garden plant isn't ready to cut, it's a nice option.

Dining solo last night, so I made a potato salad (the base of the summer food pyramid) and opened a bottle of rosé.

Super H has had tarragon every time I've been in the store, and that is fairly frequently.  They have recently been packing it in those little plastic clamshells, which I don't particularly like, but if your garden plant isn't ready to cut, it's a nice option.

Dining solo last night, so I made a potato salad (the base of the summer food pyramid) and opened a bottle of rosé.

Potato salad with chives and...tarragon? :)

Just reading about this meal makes me feel like it's a happy July afternoon.

Potato salad with chives and...tarragon? :)

Just reading about this meal makes me feel like it's a happy July afternoon.

I had to buy a new plant after this winter, so I went with the tarragon vinegar from last year.  And feeling like summer was the plan. :)  I'm ready to complain about the heat.

Breakfast for dinner:

Multigrain toast and butter

Banana pancakes

Mushroom, tomato, cheese, and herb frittata

Bacon

Maple blueberry sausage

Maple syrup (Trader Joe's Grade. B  )

last night:

king salmon, cedar-planked over charcoal, served with dill-scallion butter and lemon

charcoal roasted asparagus

leftover green basmati rice

strawberries with homemade cultured buttermilk biscuits and sweetened vanilla creme fraiche

2013 Sierra Cantabria rosé

Last night I made a good and easy soup with fresh asparagus. I wanted something filling, but not fatty. I cooked a few small, diced potatoes in chicken stock to which I added some water and dry vermouth. while the potatos were getting started, I added the whole spears of asparagus to the same pot for a couple of minutes. I then used tongs to remove the asparagus, and I chopped off some of the crisp-tender tops for garnish. Returned the spears back to the pot, to allow the asparagus flavor to infuse. When the asparagus and potatoes were tender, I took out the asparagus again, and cut off the tough bottoms. I then chopped the spears in smaller pieces, threw them back in the pot with garlic, tarragon pepper, salt. I let everything bubble for a bit, and then took it off the heat and added about 3/4 cup of skim milk. Cooled it a bit and pureed it with a stick blender. Reheated gently. Very thick and "creamy" with no added fat, and the potato didn't overwhelm the asparagus flavor. It was a nice green color, too.

Add a tart arugula salad with grapes in a dijon vinaigrette and some cantaloupe slices, and it was a good meal to enjoy on the patio.

Friday night:

Pita chips with garlic hummus

Salad (Mesclun, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, red bell pepper; ranch dressing)
Leftover watercress soup
Banana Jalapeno Fritters with pineapple-avocado dipping sauce
Leftover chicken drumsticks
Leftover crab pilaf

Last night:
Salad (Mesclun, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, red bell pepper, and sunflower seeds; sesame ginger vinaigrette)
Rosemary ciabatta toasts with olive oil, shredded mozzarella, and shredded Parmesan
Ravioli soup with spinach and shredded chicken breast
Leftover crab pilaf

Tabbouleh garnished with gigande beans and toasted pine nuts

Leftover banana-jalapeno fritters

Smoky turkey burgers on the grill

--Pineapple avocado sauce

--Red onion

--Sesame buns

Grilled marinated asparagus

Grilled yellow oyster mushrooms

Grill-baked sweet potatoes

half a palladin pulled from the freezer and warmed in the oven

avocado mashed with pistachios, really good olive oil, and salt

cucumber, dill, feta salad (with a late harvest sauvignon blanc vinegar, really good olive oil, lots of pepper)