Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

^ I bought that wine too and like it quite a bit.

Risotto with roasted cherry tomatoes (freezer), finished with some goat's milk cheese.

Roasted cauliflower, mostly because it is wonderful, but partly because I really wanted to crank the oven to heat up the house.

Last night:

Red and green leaf lettuce with Campari tomatoes and and Landaff cheese

Blueberry cornmeal muffins and butter

Dates stuffed with blue cheese or peanut butter

Leftover chicken thighs Provencal

Couscous with herbs and roasted tomatoes

Tonight:

Baguette with extra virgin olive oil

Leftover salad w/ranch

Tagliatelle with sherry vinegar sauce and sauteed bay scallops, sun-dried tomatoes and pimentos

The tagliatelle was originally its own recipe, but I thought scallops would be good with it.  

Is that a poached egg? (Do eggs count as being vegetarian?)

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new Contender in TrelayneNYC.

(1) yes, it's a poached egg. the egg was poached separately with 2 ladlefuls of soup as the poaching liquid.

(2) yes, eggs are vegetarian if one is a lacto-ovo vegetarian as I sometimes am.

• Like 1

Chili tonight, which didn't look near as pretty as that garlic soup, but it was good!  I really finely chop carrots and peppers in my cuisinart to put in my chili so I sneak a little extra veg in Hubby.  And it allowed me to multi-task and bake cookies for tomorrow.

Spicy beet green and Boursin crostini

Freeform meatloaf wrapped in bacon 

Steamed buttered English peas

Sliced roasted yellow beets

Roasted butternut squash stuffed with spicy beet greens

I needed 2 cups of diced butternut squash for something I'm making tomorrow, and the squash fell on the floor last night and cracked a bit, so today I prepped the squash I needed for tomorrow (from the narrow end) and roasted the remainder (the shape of an acorn squash).  I also roasted the squash seeds but didn't use them today.  The beet greens made enough both for crostini and to stuff the squash.  No waste.  
  • Like 1

Valentine's bistro dinner at home:

Goat and bleu cheese spread with crackers (had to use up the last of a log of goat cheese)

Marinated red, yellow and orange carrots on baby spinach (champagne vinegar, olive oil, garlic, dijon, lots of parsley)

Mashed yellow potatoes with horseradish

Crumb and herb crusted rack of lamb

Homemade brownies with Graeter's salty caramel ice cream (a local Ohio brand)

Touraine Noble Joue 2012 rose'

• Like 1

Night before last was a simple, warm potato and greens salad in a tarragon, Dijon vinaigrette.

Last night we had various cheeses, including an aged goat's milk cheese with ash that I think was bought at Costco, and is really enjoyable.  Manchego, homemade tomato jam, various crackers.

Spaghetti (brown rice from TJ's) in a roasted red pepper sauce made with homemade rosemary olive oil, in memory of my rosemary plant that froze this winter.

The champagne we planned to drink at the New Year, but we went out with friends instead.

Edited to add our walk to Artfully Chocolate in Del Ray for a six-pack of caramels.

The evening's binge was a House of Cards marathon.

Valentine's dinner:

Spinach salad with bacon, hard-boiled eggs, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, and homemade croutons; tarragon-honey-mustard dressing

Oyster risotto
Ricotta-Asparagus Soufflé

Roederer Estate Brut Rosé

Lauden chocolates (Christmas gift brought back from the UK by friends)

Ben & Jerry's vanilla-caramel-fudge ice cream

The oyster risotto was from Barton Seaver's For Cod and Country.  It's an unconventional risotto that turned out great.  The liquid gets added in two batches, so there's no call for constant stirring.  The oysters go in at the very end and heat just until they curl.  The only real solid extra component in the risotto during cooking is diced butternut squash.  That and the orange juice and zest that go in make this really bright-tasting.  The creme fraiche that goes in right near the end amplifies the creaminess of the rice.  So good.

That sounds fantastic, and I bet I could sub in goat's milk cheese so Mr. lperry could eat it.  Would you mind sharing the recipe?

It's online here.  The recipe does require some tinkering anyway.  It has a bechamel as well.  Since it's originally from Cowgirl Creamery, I think it's designed to highlight the ricotta.

last night:

ficelle from Fresh Baguette

capricho de cabra

2012 comolaluna blanco (first time I have had a white that is100% palomino, the grape used to make sherry. Very fresh and minerally and only 10.5% alcohol)

panko-crusted flounder filets

remoulade sauce with homemade mayo base

haricots verts with garlic and Meyer lemon

scalloped potatoes

mini tarts--one lemon the other pecan and dark chocolate, from Fresh Baguette. The pecan tart was heart-shaped.

• Like 1

chicken with lemon, za'atar and sumac from _Ottolenghi_, roasted in the wood stove, in a cast iron casserole.

wood oven roasted cauliflower with chickpeas, roasted poblano, fresh tomato, arugula and mustard-caper vinaigrette, adapted from an_Ottolenghi_ recipe

basmati rice

2010 Dom. du Pre Regnie

• Like 1

Belgian endive stuffed with Boursin cheese, crumbled bacon, and toasted pine nuts

Anniversary chicken*

Steamed asparagus

Leftover sliced roasted yellow beets

Leftover tagliatelle with peppers and bay scallops

I plated this instead of serving it at the table and it looked really great.  I've gotten so that I never take pictures any more, but this would have been a good one.

*I asked for the recipe after we had this at an inn in the Cascades in the '90s.  It was an anniversary of the inn and the chef had prepared this as a special.  The chef wrote down a bare bones list of ingredients and procedures, and I don't think I've ever made it the same way twice.  I never remember to write down what I did, but it's probably better just improv'ed from the ingredients.

The basic ingredients are chicken breasts, mushrooms, pine nuts, garlic, artichoke hearts, white wine, Provolone cheese, and pesto.  This time I used a few button mushrooms and the rest shiitake.  I didn't have Provolone but had bought smoked gruyere at Giant and thought that would sub well. (It did.)  I didn't have a huge amount of basil for pesto but rounded it out with some baby spinach (recalling Zora's advice that spinach keeps pesto from browning).  The pesto gets mixed in with the other sauce and the cheese-covered chicken is served on top.  I wish I could remember the name of this inn :ph34r: .

pita chips and baba ghanoush made with woodstove-roasted eggplant

stuffed cabbage (from the freezer)

roasted miso-maple carrots (based on a Food52 recipe)

basmati rice

dense chocolate loaf cake, adapted from a Nigella Lawson recipe that produces in Nigella's words, a "damp, squidgy cake"-- I heeded some of the changes suggested by commenters, and then added some of my own: 6 oz. of 70% chocolate, some of which was "no added sugar"; 1 1/3 cups of packed dark brown sugar; 1/2 cup of butter and 1/4 cup coconut oil; 1 cup water and 2 T. of fresh brewed coffee; 1 1/3 cups of flour plus 3 T. of cocoa. It came out great! served with some vanilla ice cream

12606793213_6e6cf48202_z.jpg

Sautéed chicken livers, with jowl bacon and roasted grapes

12606794813_7350eb656b_z.jpg

Pasta with escarole, carrots and garlic.

Would be vegan except the vegetables and pasta were simmered in Chinese chicken stock.

Also looks ordinary but what you don't know is that the vegetables and pasta were par-cooked first, then finished as if I was preparing a risotto (i.e., by adding the pasta to the pan in which the vegetables were being sautéed, then adding the pasta cooking liquid ladleful by ladleful and letting the liquid reduce, until done).

12607015993_7783d57af0_z.jpg

Turkish figs, with spice-infused port and a splash of heavy cream

^ Those figs are gorgeous.  Interesting technique for the pasta dish.

Last night was a baby spinach salad with grape tomatoes, cucumber, radish, feta, spiced roasted squash seeds, and sesame ginger vinaigrette; sous vide pork loin chops finished with a sear on the stove; leftover asparagus souffle; and, leftover tagliatelle with sherry vinegar sauce.

Pat -- thanks.

I like doing pasta this way, especially if it will be vegetarian.  Can be brothy or lightly sauced.  Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add your pasta and cook until the pasta is about 2-3 minutes shy of being al dente.  Blanch the vegetables first, then cook them in olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper (or if they're something like zucchini and tomato, just chop them and toss them directly into the pan) until they've started to lose their crispness.  Then, add the pasta directly to the pan and finish as you would if you were making a risotto.

chicken and green chile tamale pie: made with Costco rotisserie chicken, hatch chile bechamel and roasted poblanos; no masa harina in the house, so made tamale batter with Rancho Gordo posole corn ground in the Vitamix dry jar,  blended with butter, duck fat, and turkey stock.

refried beans

bosc pears

fat tire

• Like 1

Pat -- thanks.

I like doing pasta this way, especially if it will be vegetarian.  Can be brothy or lightly sauced.  Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add your pasta and cook until the pasta is about 2-3 minutes shy of being al dente.  Blanch the vegetables first, then cook them in olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper (or if they're something like zucchini and tomato, just chop them and toss them directly into the pan) until they've started to lose their crispness.  Then, add the pasta directly to the pan and finish as you would if you were making a risotto.

I'll add this to my "food tips" file :) .

Last night:

Guacamole and tortilla chips

Mushroom soup (shiitakes, celery, wheatberries, pre-fab turkey broth)

Leftover "anniversary chicken"

Steamed asparagus with butter and crushed roasted hazelnuts

Leftovers galore!

Frisee and romaine salad with grape tomatoes, avocado, gigande beans, radishes, cucumber, feta, and added canned tuna; vinaigrette

Crostini with ricotta and cubed roasted yellow beets

Cauliflower hazelnut salad

Eggplant Parmesan

Asparagus with hazelnuts

Saturday night:

Leftover cauliflower and hazelnut salad

Roasted eggplant stuffed with dukkah-spiced ground lamb, feta, and wheatberries
Baked eggs with bacon and Parmesan

Yesterday:
Quesadillas (cheddar and cream cheese, scallion, and serrano hot sauce) 
Salad of frisee, romaine, and arugula, wth grape tomatoes, crumbled bacon, cucumbers, radishes, and red bell peppers; white balsamic vinaigrette
Pot roast with carrots and potatoes

last night:

eco-friendly ground pork made into Italian meatballs with toasted, fresh ground fennel seed and coriander, garlic, red wine, reggiano, parsley, egg and breadcrumbs

tomato-vegetable sugo (pomi toms-onion-leek-celery-carrot-fennel-rutabaga-garlic-porcini-aromatic herbs)

De Cecco spaghetti (on sale at Safeway, buy one get one free)

bosc pear

2012 San Fabiano chianti

Friday night: After eating in hotels for six days I came home to meatloaf a la Pioneer Woman and roasted brussel sprouts

Saturday night: Green curry with chicken* and basmati rice

Sunday night: Pork chops marinated in lemon juice, rosemary, and Greek olive oil

*The grocery stores here sell a prepackaged combination of Thai vegetables, most of which are not available for individual sale.

braised eco-friendly beef with 2 mustards and cognac, adapted from this N.Y. Times recipe*

pappardelle

oven roasted brussels sprouts

a 2009 bordeaux

*The recipe doesn't call for any aromatics other than onion and shallot. I added leek, garlic, porcini powder, and an herb bundle of thyme, parsley, rosemary and bay leaf. Also, added some wine and vinegar to the deglazing liquids, and eliminated the addition of red wine at the end. My thought was: really? Why add it just before serving, when it will give the sauce a raw wine edge? It was delicious, and the mustards provided a nice variation to the usual red wine beef braises I usually do.