Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Rock shrimp in a Provení§al-style sauce of tomato, celery, garlic, oil-cured black olives, capers, fennel seed, saffron, lemon, and espelette, served over friend grits cakes.  Apologies to cuisine purists, but I had leftover Anson Mills coarse grits the needed to be used.

Leftover oyster stew

Turkey burgers with hummus and pickled shallots

Bulgur and cauliflower salad

My husband thought the stew was more of a chowder when I first made it, so I added some corn to the leftovers.  (The oysters had been unevenly distributed, so the leftovers were pretty low on seafood and needed something extra.)  I added some harissa to the meat mixture when making the burgers and decided to spread the hamburger buns with hummus.  They were good.

Deconstructed colcannon.  Fingerling potatoes steamed until tender, smashed flat, then pan fried in rosemary olive oil until browned and crispy, finished with a sprinkling of salt.

Savoy cabbage braised with apple and brown butter, finished with a little rice vinegar because I somehow ran out of apple vinegar.  The brown butter was a mistake, but it worked out pretty well.

Meyer lemon and satsuma sorbets.

tonight:

eco friendly rose veal scallopini piccata (with meyer lemon/salted caper sauce)

mushroom risotto (crimini, oyster and dried porcini)

leftover roasted broccolini

Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout ginger cake (recipe from _The Last Course_ by Claudia Fleming), with creme chantilly

2011 Muga white rioja

Last night:

Welsh rarebit

Red and green leaf lettuce salad, with radishes, cucumber, avocado, Campari tomatoes, bacon, and feta; bottled ranch dressing

My husband also had a leftover turkey burger, a scoop of leftover mashed potatoes, and a square of leftover chilaquile casserole.

Rib roast, roasted potatoes, broccoli, all washed down with a bottle of 1970 Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou.  Getting low on '70's bottles now; some didn't make it, but this one was mighty good.

I'm not necessarily a Riedel fan, at least not at Riedel prices, but I found a box of four "full bodied red" ones at T.J. Maxx for $40, so at $10 a pop I thought "why not?"  The wine did taste good in those glasses.

Cobb salad

Leftover roast beef

Bulgur with mushrooms

The bulgur mushroom recipe is an old one from Martha Stewart.  It's very simple and pleasing and was great with the beef.  I used some of the beef stock I made from the beef bones as the soaking liquid for the bulgur.  The rest of the stock is going into onion soup soon.

I started out following the Brown Derby recipe for the salad (especially as I found both the watercress and chicory called for in that recipe, along with romaine and iceberg, at Whole Foods), but deviated some as I went along.  I only had one chicken breast half (the reason I originally decided to make the salad--I had all of the ingredients but the greens on hand).  I made a small amount of the dressing by doctoring a basic vinaigrette I'd already made, since the dressing recipe would have made more than two cups.  The salad looked fantastic in the huge shallow red bowl I dug out for the occasion, and we're going to be eating leftovers of it for a while.

Jim made an absolutely delicious, if not decadent, pork belly on Sunday night.  A while back I bought some pork belly (skinless) but didn't have any immediate plans for it so I popped it into the freezer.  It was just too pretty a piece to not buy.

Jim got the recipe from a food blog in Singapore called The MeatMen.  He had to slightly adapt the recipe as it called for using belly with the skin but nonetheless, it turned out fabulous.  Even the Sophie dog was going nuts over it practically climbing in my lap for bits.

However, I am warning you, if you start looking at this website, you'll be sucked in for hours.  It's a carnivores heaven.

Was doing so good today and fixed a really healthy dinner- grilled chicken cutlet, red wine braised tomatoes and mushrooms, sautéed asparagus.  Texas toast (for Hubby who didn't want a healthy dinner really).

Last night was pasta with sauteed bacon, napa cabbage, shallots and peas.

I made an Armenian Christmas Eve menu, since tonight is Armenian Christmas Eve.  Several of the items are ones I read that are typical for the night before Christmas.  I planned this a couple of months ago, so I can't recall exactly how I decided things.  So many dishes have multiple names, it's hard to know what things are actually called (plus, the different alphabet throws a curve in there).

The only pre-made things I bought were the components for the bastegh and also the gigande beans, which I got at P&C Market.  They carry fresh containers of a fantastic gigande bean salad.  I've made bastegh (fruit leather) before, and it took forever and didn't come out that well, so I bought fruit leather strips at Whole Foods for that.  My bread could have been more cracker-y, but it came out pretty well.  I hadn't tried making that before (which my husband's mother's family calls "dahn hatz"--house bread), but I've had purchased versions.  It needs to be rolled out extremely thin, and I didn't quite get there evenly enough.  Making the actual dough wasn't that hard, so I'll be trying that again and focusing on rolling super thin rounds.

This was dinner:

Lupiayi Plaki:  Gigandes bean salad
Tahnabour:  Yogurt soup with wheatberries (family name for this is matzoon soup)
Parag Hatz:  Cracker bread
Khorovadz Tsoug:  Broiled white fish with lemon garlic sauce
Nevik: Swiss chard with chickpeas
Arishtayov Printzi Yeghintz: Rice pilaf with noodles
Bastegh:  Fruit leather pouches filled with dried fruit and nuts
  • Like 4

Aloo Gosht (meat and potatoes) with lamb; cauliflower cooked in mustard oil with Bengali 5 spice; moong dal with a tadka of hing, kalonji, bay leaf and dried chilli; cucumbers, onion, and tomatoes with lime juice and salt; lime and raw chillies; pickle and Basmanti rice (not pictured).

11848330056_8d3eeb2e40.jpg

Last night I made ground chicken with sauteed garlic and onion, peas and broccoli served with parsley potatoes.  I decided the leftovers of the chicken would make a really good white pizza with garlic sauce OR stuffed in a pita with some hummus.

Tonight wasn't a great night... Campbell's coconut curry soup.  This was actually a pretty good soup, it's one of their pouch soups.  Carrots and hummus and a cookie.

Vegan night at Casa Trelayne. ;)

11891508806_da95332528_z.jpg

"Cream" of fennel soup, with parsley-scallion pesto

11890958083_fd946f13de_z.jpg

Beans on toast -- chickpeas (for are not chickpeas a type of bean?) and Rancho Gordo Sangre de Toro beans, with watercress, preserved lemon, Meyer lemon sections, slow-cooked onion and extra-virgin olive oil, on a toasted baguette.

Vegan/vegetarian night at Casa Trelayne. ;)

11901560984_f14c9ed518_z.jpg

Carrot and parsnip salad, scallion pesto

11901136825_6c0de29f86_z.jpg

Mixed olives (Castelvetrano, Kalamata, oil-cured), with quick-pickled fennel and preserved lemon

11901562144_ee0d2c2c9f_z.jpg

Pasta with cauliflower, radicchio, shishito peppers and chickpeas

I'm experimenting with a new technique (new to me, anyway), where you prepare pasta as you would a risotto.

I should also mention that while I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian, I cook meatless A LOT.  I would say it's about as often as I have pasta during the week.  One thing that you will not find me doing however, is cooking something that is meatless that reminds someone of meat.  I've never quite gotten the point of that.  Isn't the reason some people go meatless/vegan/vegetarian so that they don't find themselves thinking of, or being reminded about meat?  Why then, would you cook or eat something called vegetarian bacon?  So:  you will not see any fake burgers, fake chicken cutlets, "tofurkey", none of that stuff.

Baby romaine with radish, cucumber, avocado, red pepper, diced apple, toasted walnuts, and black-eyed peas; red wine vinaigrette

Jalapeno, tomato, and scallion quesadillas

Wheatberries with sausage, spinach, mushrooms, and goat cheese

Last two days we had Kukul Mas (Sri Lankan chicken curry) made with homemade roasted curry powder, onions, garlic and ginger, lemongrass, curry leaves, whole cardamom, cloves and cinnamon, chillies, tomatoes, peanut oil, salt and coconut milk. With this we had Acar Rempai (Malaysian quick mixed pickle) a true fusion dish made with cauliflower, carrots and cucumber, shallots, garlic and ginger, curry powder (Malaysian Parrot brand), turmeric, black mustard seeds, chillies, peanut oil, salt, sugar, vinegar, and toasted sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds. Dishes were fiery and dynamic. The heat was tempered by consuming lots of jasmine rice (brown jasmine rice, like health conscious hippies). Also had Piraat ale (one of my favorites, Arrrrh) and roasted some red chilli papads.

• Like 1