Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Toasted farmhouse wheat bread and soy spread

Baked rigatoni with broccoli and gorgonzola

Stir-fried pork with broccoli, tofu, ginger, scallion, basil, cilantro, and orange bell pepper

They didn't exactly go together, but the colors were compatible.  (I had things I had to use up and am not cooking tomorrow night.)

Mostly leftovers tonight, but there was also this:

10201355924_27aef5de42_z.jpg

Zucchini and cherry tomato salad

Takes about 15 minutes to make and 30 minutes to chill.

Boil whole zucchini in lightly salted water for 5 minutes, then trim and slice lengthwise. then combine with halved cherry tomatoes, extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, sea salt, black pepper, mint and Italian parsley.

Serve immediately, or chill for 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Last night was very yellow. Gaeng Kari Gai à¹à¸à¸‡à¸à¸°à¸«à¸£à¸µà¹ˆà¹„à¸à¹ˆ (Indian style Thai Chicken Curry aka "curry" curry), Ajat (Cucumber Pickle) อาจาด, Gai Pad Bai Kaphrao (Chicken Stir-Fried with Holy Basil from the garden) ไà¸à¹ˆà¸œà¸±à¸”ใบà¸à¸°à¹€à¸žà¸£à¸², Khai jiao (Omelet) ไข่เจียว, ผัภ(vegetables), ข้าวหอมมะลิ (jasmine rice).

10226898733_755ac74505.jpg

Last night was very yellow. Gaeng Kari Gai à¹à¸à¸‡à¸à¸°à¸«à¸£à¸µà¹ˆà¹„à¸à¹ˆ (Indian style Thai Chicken Curry aka "curry" curry), Ajat (Cucumber Pickle) อาจาด, Gai Pad Bai Kaphrao (Chicken Stir-Fried with Holy Basil from the garden) ไà¸à¹ˆà¸œà¸±à¸”ใบà¸à¸°à¹€à¸žà¸£à¸², Khai jiao (Omelet) ไข่เจียว, ผัภ(vegetables), ข้าวหอมมะลิ (jasmine rice).

Jeez, Fish. Doncha ever get tired of cooking/eating the same damn boring thing, every.single.night?
  • Like 1

Arugula with cherry tomatoes and fat-free balsamic dressing; a few slices of lean, lean turkey; and a stick of Weight Watchers low-fat string cheese.

Yay post-gallbladder-removal low-fat diet.

Yay.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, and passing along a tip from my gall bladder-free sister who says a little alcohol helps if you want to eat something fatty. :)

• Like 1

More of the same, leftover Gaeng Kari Gai à¹à¸à¸‡à¸à¸°à¸«à¸£à¸µà¹ˆà¹„à¸à¹ˆ (Indian style Thai Chicken Curry), Achat (Cucumber Pickle) อาจาด, Neua Kae Pad Bai Kaphrao (Lamb Stir-Fried with Holy Basil) เนื้อà¹à¸à¸°à¸œà¸±à¸”ใบà¸à¸°à¹€à¸žà¸£à¸², Pad Pak Nam Pla ผัดผัà¸à¸™à¹‰à¸³à¸›à¸¥à¸² (Stir Fried Vegetables With Fish Sauce), Khai jiao (Omelet) ไข่เจียว, vegetables and jasmine rice. Piraat ale.

10238450553_429ee2c31c.jpg

I am fascinated by the Indian style Thai curry.. seems so many cuisines have adopted and transformed the Indian "curry". Sounds like the making of a research paper there...

Arugula with cherry tomatoes and fat-free balsamic dressing; a few slices of lean, lean turkey; and a stick of Weight Watchers low-fat string cheese.

Yay post-gallbladder-removal low-fat diet.

Yay.

I hope you're feeling better and adjustment isn't too difficult.  The only way I can lose weight is with a super low-fat diet, and cheese is about the hardest thing to let go of.

Tonight's dinner is

Salad of "artisan" lettuce, tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, and avocado; champagne-caper vinaigrette

Leftover chicken cannelloni

Leftover rigatoni with broccoli and gorgonzola

Roasted saffron peppers

Last night

Same salad as tonight

Quesadillas (refried black beans, jack and cheddar cheeses, scallions, serrano pepper, and avocado); sour cream

Old-fashioned beef and noodles [basically pot roast with egg noodles cooked in the liquid at the end]
  • Like 1

I do love being told that I should make "more simple, recognizable dishes" by someone who thinks that Italian food is too "strange".

*eyeroll*

The commenter wasn't anyone here, just someone on Facebook who needs to get out more.

10266584285_e476ddf558_o.jpg

Pasta e ceci

Don't be fooled by how healthy it looks; the battuto was cooked in butter and olive oil.

This version contains acini de pepe and escarole.

• Like 1

Simple vegetable soup, with fennel broth from the freezer, carrots, celery, potatoes (home-grown), mushrooms, peas, yellow tomatoes (the last from the garden), and rosemary

Sourdough bread

D'affinois with herbs

a mini finocchiona

a small bunch of Concord grapes for dessert

^Since there's an avocado sitting on my counter awaiting its fate, I'd love to know how you seasoned the bean salad.

I got the idea from this post.  I didn't measure super carefully and used one standard (15 oz?) can of drained, rinsed and dried beans.  For the herbs I used chives, tarragon, thyme, and mint.  Champagne vinegar.  I almost omitted the pine nuts, but I'm glad I used them.  It was really quite good.  My husband took the remainder for lunch today.  I think the acidity of the dressing probably keeps the exposed part of the avocado from oxidizing too much.

Monday night:

buttermilk fried chicken oysters (Bev Eggleston's brilliant, though expensive, new product)

julienned romano beans with roasted red pepper, shallots, and lemon

roasted kabocha squash with date syrup

basmati rice

2013 Mulderbosch rosé

Tuesday night:

eco-friendly chorizo tostadas with refried Rancho Gordo beans, pico, guac, butter lettuce dressed with lime vinaigrette and roasted golden beets

Sierra Nevada Tumbler brown ale

Eataly. :P

Hm, on Eataly's website all they have in the bottarga line is "salsa alla bottarga di tonno". It never occurred to me until five minutes ago to look for bottarga on Amazon. To my surprise there are approximately one zillion (okay, about forty) vendors eager to sell me bottarga di muggine, either whole or grated, and send it to my mailbox. Fancy that!

Hm, on Eataly's website all they have in the bottarga line is "salsa alla bottarga di tonno". It never occurred to me until five minutes ago to look for bottarga on Amazon. To my surprise there are approximately one zillion (okay, about forty) vendors eager to sell me bottarga di muggine, either whole or grated, and send it to my mailbox. Fancy that!

At Eataly, it comes in blocks, in packets and in jars. There is bottarga di muggine and bottarga di tonno (tuna bottarga). Whichever one I get depends on whether I feel like spending $$$$ or just $. Right now, there's a jar of bottarga powder (basically a block of bottarga all broken up). It's not a huge jar by any means, but it's well worth the $14 expense. There's enough in there to last a while, when you consider that all you really need is barely a teaspoonful for most dishes.

10322919656_8e047f5226_z.jpg

Roasted Rancho Gordo chickpeas -- soaked for 6 hours, then simmered in lightly salted water for one hour; drained and patted dry to eliminate all water. These were seasoned with black pepper, cinnamon and Spanish paprika, and 1 tablespoon olive oil, then roasted for 30 minutes at 350 F.

10322886044_4b59e6657a_z.jpg

Roasted chickpeas, with preserved lemon, heirloom tomatoes, olives and mint

Leftovers (no pic)

• Like 1

last night:

butter lettuce salad with tomato, watermelon radish and lime vinaigrette

golden cauliflower and cheese. like mac and cheese with cauliflower vs. pasta: baked in an onion bechamel-based cheese sauce made with two different cheddars and an aged pecorino.

2012 Nobilo sauvignon blanc

Last night was all leftovers:

Blueberry chutney and cheese toasts

Stir-fried pork, tofu, and vegetables, with added white rice

Saffron peppers

That chutney (blueberry, red grape, ginger) was originally made to go with pork tenderloin but has been good in other uses, including as a sauce for leftover chicken cannelloni.  Last night I spread some cheese (a Costco impulse purchase of Laughing Cow cheese  :huh: ) on some baguette rounds, topped with the chutney, and heated them in the oven until everything was hot and the cheese was melted.  That was quite good.  I had originally had my doubts about making the chutney at all, but I'll be making it again in the future.  I think the ginger might be the wild card ingredient that makes this work with so many different foods.

Baked stuffed squash blossoms (gorgonzola and cottage cheeses, blueberry chutney)

How were they?  The squirrels ate my one Halloween pumpkin, but the vine is still cranking out flowers.

The past few nights have been garden-driven simple meals.  Tomato, mustard tart. (pre-bake)

post-3913-0-77988800-1382221905_thumb.jp

Penne in heirloom tomato sauce.

Roasted eggplant in a peanut-sesame sauce, served over rice.

One of the most frustrating parts of living in Europe is that everything is closed on Sunday. This means that forethought is required when the forecast is for yet another rainy, grey Sunday, which for me is prime cooking weather. (Of my 10 Sundays here it has been sunny three of those days.) Yesterday I went to the butcher in the village and picked up a lamb loin for one and three eggs. I broke new hiking boots by walking in to town where I picked up the rest of the ingredients. I spent the day grazing and cooking as I went along...

Some sort of cured pig. I don't know what it was but the people in line before me ordered some and it looked good.

Scrambled eggs with sliced, sauteed squashblossoms and salsa tartufo (truffle sauce)

Anchovies in vinegar

Roasted squash blossoms stuffed with truffled tomme on a bed of tomato salad with truffle oil

Pan seared lamb loin topped with salsa tartufo

Water from the tap

post-19-0-87690300-1382302770_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday night:

charcoal roasted red bell peppers stuffed with ground turkey/veg/rice baked in a fresh tomato and roasted eggplant sauce*

basmati rice

seckel pears poached in spiced red wine syrup, with strained TJ's goat yogurt

*using up the veg from the previous Sunday's farmers market, before they went by.

Sunday night:

Ottolenghi-ish chicken with fennel, arak and clementines made with eco-friendly chicken oysters, with the addition of bermuda onion, fuyu persimmon, and preserved meyer lemon

basmati rice

2012 Rive Gauche chinon rosé

I am now four days into no dinner in the dining hall. This means I will go an entire week without dinner prepared down in the dungeon that is the kitchen of my school. In my new world this is a Very Big Deal.  Tonight was clean out the fridge as we head off for four days of academic travel.  It was a Thai/Italian night as I cleaned out my fridge and friend cleaned out his.

Thai marinated chicken breasts with sauteed vegetables on a bed of rice noodles

Baked squash blossoms stuffed with robiola*

Tomatoes with the rest of the robiola drizzled with truffle oil

A red that hadn't become vinegar yet

Squares of dark chocolate

*I hadn't cooked with robiola before and was quite pleased with how it stood up to the oven.  The blossoms were over baked but I think would do well when I actually set a timer.

Tonight will be:

Salad of mixed lettuces and parsley, cucumber, tomato, quartered hard-boiled eggs, toasted walnuts, crumbled gorgonzola, and homemade croutons; white balsamic vinaigrette

Baguette with hummus

Roasted rack of lamb with za' atar and lemon-mint yogurt sauce

Buttered baby limas

Baked potatoes

warm lentil salad with smoked eggplant (recipe from Plenty)

Cava tzatziki with Firehook sea salt flatbread crackers

chocolate sorbet (recipe from Food 52), this time with a dash of cinnamon

I know I've written this before, but that chocolate sorbet is awesome.  Since there are so few ingredients, you have to use the best chocolate available, because that's all you're going to taste.  I used Valrhona cocoa powder and 64% Manjari feves.  Wow.

Sopa de Fubí  (Collard Greens, Cornmeal and Sausage Soup).

I didn't have yellow cornmeal and wasn't sure if the grits I had were hominy grits, so I used blue cornmeal.  Maybe not as visually pleasing as the original recipe, but tasty and satisfying on a night with the first chill of fall in the air.

Other pluses: very quick and easy to prepare and it made for great leftovers for today's lunch.

Tuesday night:

oven-braised beef in red chile-tomato-beer sauce, made with ripe poblanos, anaheims and tomatoes from the farmers' market, with some fresh cranberry beans. Not a traditional chili, but there was cumin involved.

Sierra Nevada Tumbler ale

Wednesday:

grilled romesco cauliflower with tomato, spinach, pine nuts and dill-caper vinaigrette (based on an Ottolenghi recipe)

farfalle pasta with garlic, fresh artichoke hearts, cranberry beans, basil and pecorino

2012 Balbo Crios torrontes

Leftover green bean salad with walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes

Leftover ribs from rack of lamb and yogurt sauce

Leftover macaroni and cheese

Meatball sandwich made from leftover (frozen) meatballs and tomato sauce

The sandwich was really for me.  That was all I had, and I only ate half of it.  My husband finished it.

Braised paprika chicken

Socca with tomato and onions

Leftover baby lima beans

The chicken recipe was one from Eating Well that I found online.  It came out even better than I expected and had strong, appealing flavors (mostly from the hefty amount of sweet paprika and generous teaspoon of hot pepper flakes.).

The socca came from Plenty and would have been fantastic were I better at flipping pancakes/crepes.  Not bad for a first effort, though. The toppings were caramelized onions and roasted slices of plum tomato.  (The recipe calls for cherry tomatoes, but I had plum, and they worked fine.)  I ended up with more onions than I needed, so the excess of them got added into the sauce for the chicken.