Two Quail, Capitol Hill - Closed

Walking past Two Quail today, I noticed that the menu board outside had a sign saying "Out of Business." No great loss, really, but I think a lot of Capitol Hill-ites had a sort of nostalgic fondness for the place. I remember when Tom Sietsema introduced his star system several years ago, many were shocked that he gave it zero stars, thinking that it was some sort of gourmet destination--and maybe, when it first opened, it was for some. As Tom wrote then, "If Auntie Mame and Morticia Addams got together to decorate a townhouse, Two Quail is what their effort might look like. . . . Softly lit and carved into cozy nooks, . . . the restaurant has long spelled romance for some diners. Unfortunately, they also have to order food to sit there."

Possibly the single worst meal I ever ate in my life.

Cute room, though. Sad that they could never get their kitchen act together.

How they lasted 20-odd years I'll never know.

That makes two restaurants gone on Mass. Ave - I think the other to close was several years ago, and is still vacant - Le Brasserie, or something similar? I wonder if either space will be filled anytime soon...

Possibly the single worst meal I ever ate in my life.

Cute room, though. Sad that they could never get their kitchen act together.

How they lasted 20-odd years I'll never know.

I hadn't eaten there in years, but the funny thing is that I found the atmosphere more off-putting than the food. The meals I had there were ok, nothing more. I don't recall anything standing out as being terrible...or great. The Victorian interior was too overdone for me, though.

That makes two restaurants gone on Mass. Ave - I think the other to close was several years ago, and is still vacant - Le Brasserie, or something similar? I wonder if either space will be filled anytime soon...

Indeed -- during the course of several years working on the Hill I never made it to La Brasserie where, if I recall correctly, Ted Kennedy was once caught in flagrante by a waitress in the course of a late, liquid lunch.

Man, Banco, I'm glad I agree with your list! You seem to have some awesome powers! How about getting the Cheesecake Factory out of Arlington/Clarendon? I'd be forever in your debt and buy you cheesecake somewhere else in return :rolleyes:

Wringing hands, emitting sinister laugh: "Ah, yessss! First Bread and Chocolate, then Two Quail. Next on my list: Cafe Berlin! Bwahhahaha!"
How about taking credit for Marty's demise, too? And why not target Thai Roma and Taverna?

Man, Banco, I'm glad I agree with your list! You seem to have some awesome powers! How about getting the Cheesecake Factory out of Arlington/Clarendon? I'd be forever in your debt and buy you cheesecake somewhere else in return :rolleyes:

I like Cafe Berlin. I hope it doesn't go anywhere. We needs some old school, fills-a-niche spots like Cafe Berlin and the others on this strip.

I don't like to see any place fail. Maybe I'm a softy...

I had a very sweet, romantic date there -- fortunately, it appears, the type of date where all you remember is your dining companion, not the food you ate.

I feel the same, it was fun to spend time there with someone special. Haven't been in ages, but I loved the mismatched silverware, etc.

I feel the same, it was fun to spend time there with someone special. Haven't been in ages, but I loved the mismatched silverware, etc.

Yeah, this is bittersweet. We had a nice family dinner there after we got married (this was back in '96). The food was pretty good. More importantly, family lore was increased by my father-in-law's loud discussion of his old friend "Speedy." But I digress.

A few years ago I had lunch there with a friend. The food was just edible.

So no great loss foodwise but every city needs quirky places and we just lost one.