Rogue Brewery Sues Rogue 24

brr

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Good thing they didn't call the restaurant "Dog 24" or "Dominion 24." Oh, wait a minute, there's a Lost Dog Cafe and a Dominion Deli in the area. Someone write and warn them!

Or, for that matter, Cooper's 24.

Somebody find out the names of the lawyers and post them here, please. I need to write the Oxford English Dictionary so they can sue the brewery.

Time for a boycott of Rogue beers? I think this is just a cheap publicity stunt.

Many years ago Sony Corp. sued a little Filipino restaurant in Baltimore named "Sony's", which was the owner's name. Sony asked for nearly $3million in damages. The woman fought it as long as she could but eventually changed the name and soon after went out of business.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

From reading the article, it sounds as though the trigger for this is that they heard about his tentative plans for the bar. As Tim Carman noted, there are other restaurants with Rogue in the name that haven't been threatened with a suit. The bar name, even if they had no plans to go forward with it under that name, would have been an infringement.

:blink:

I'd actually once heard that the owners here were somewhat prick-like, but never saw any reason to believe it ... until now.

It may sound harsh, but as a matter of trademark law, if you fail to police your mark, you may lose your rights to do so in the future. It may not be so important if it is a coffee shop in West Virginia, but would be a bigger problem if the owners of the Forest Inn across the street decided to rename it the Lost Dog Inn and there was nothing the Lost Dog Cafe could do to stop it.

It may sound harsh, but as a matter of trademark law, if you fail to police your mark, you may lose your rights to do so in the future. It may not be so important if it is a coffee shop in West Virginia, but would be a bigger problem if the owners of the Forest Inn across the street decided to rename it the Lost Dog Inn and there was nothing the Lost Dog Cafe could do to stop it.

Wouldn't this also apply to the Rogue case? They apparently knew about the name for awhile.

Wouldn't this also apply to the Rogue case? They apparently knew about the name for awhile.

It would be a factor, but with all things legal, it is a matter of degrees. However, it appears the letter writing between the lawyers has been going on for some time before it escalated into a lawsuit. There is a lot that goes into these cases (btw, I am not a trademark lawyer so please take this all with the largest grain of salt you can locate) so who knows how this will turn out. I am sure Rogue 24's lawyers think they have some pretty strong defenses.

My favorite example of this issue is when Ben & Jerry's introduced Cherry Garcia without first getting permission from Jerry Garcia. When he learned of it, Garcia reportedly shook it off and said: "At least they're not naming a motor oil after me, man." To which his lawyer replied: "They will name a motor oil after you if you don't confront this, Jerry. You'll have no control over your name at all." The lawyer protested to Ben & Jerry's and they settled with a licensing deal and today you can still enjoy a pint of Cherry Garcia, but you will find nary a can of Jerry Garcia motor oil.

Hal Kant obituary.

Yep, it was called rogue cocktails and now it's called beta cocktails after they supposedly received a cease-and-desist.

Yeah, I was just reminded of that on Twitter. I never saw the cease-and-desist personally, but there was no love for Rogue beer in the NOLA bartending community due to it.

EDIT: Another mention of it: http://www.kindredcocktails.com/review/beta-cocktails

Edited by SeanMike

Ahhh, Louis' Rogue. Had a couple drunken, really awkward happy hours there with rowdy coworkers back when I worked in Chinatown. I bet RJ would fancy the place, and I'm SURE Michael Landrum does..... ;)

I had one Rogue beer in my fridge and I drank it last night. No more for me...and now to get my ass down to Hogo to get some of RJ's food this week, and if things go well with the lady friend, see about bringing her to R24 to help support *our* Rogue!