Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

I roasted the cherry tomatoes from Farm at Sunnyside and used ricotta from Blue Ridge Dairy.

I've got bajillions of cherry tomatoes (as my tomatoed neighbors will attest). I hadn't thought to cook them. Now I know what will be for dinner tomorrow. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Tonight: Steamed romano pole beans with butter and coarse sea salt. I wish I planted more of these beans this spring, and I will definitely plant more next year.

Grilled butternut squash and onions. I put a few sage leaves in at the end, and they were so strong that everything was still sage scented even after I pulled them out. Nothing like a drought to up the flavor.

Cod with orange and yellow heirloom tomatoes and sweet basil, baked

Purple Peruvian potatoes, roasted

Fresh corn salad with red bell pepper and an overtly dill vinaigrette, raw

All vegetables from today's farm share (Bull Run CSA)

Baked, roasted, raw...man do those phrases bring back surfer day memories. Next time, I'll figure out a way to incorporate Mr. Zog's into the plating.

post-5654-12501292869_thumb.jpg

post-5654-125012929542_thumb.jpg

post-5654-125012930174_thumb.jpg

An early, light summer dinner.

Roasted cherry tomatoes with herbed chevre added on top at the end of cooking. I made these in ramekins in my trusty Toastmaster 1960s toaster oven. We mixed it all together and smeared it on thin, whole-grain toast.

Mixed peaches and cherries.

I'll continue the trend - cheap Trader Joe's champagne. It's surprisingly good.

This was unusually light, but we've got Doubt from Netflix, and there will be stovetop popcorn later.

Last night was dinner from the fridge/pantry/garden and turned out OK considering I didn't feel like cooking after working all day.

Pizza on the grill. The crust was homemade and half whole wheat flour. Next time, I'll let it rise a bit after I roll it out.

The topping was a mixture of about a pint of cherry tomatoes, onions, cheiro peppers, tomato paste, sun dried tomatoes, oregano and thyme, cooked for a while and held together with oiive oil and the last of a bottle of white wine that had been in the fridge for a while. Then some pecorino romano and herbed chevre topped the sauce/paste.

Last night-

broiled goat daube cheese and roma tomato on water crackers (my new favorite tomato/cheese combo)

grilled marinated Lamb chops

salad of pea shoots with ricotta salata and lemon/oregano dressing

sauteed okra, garlic, & golden juliette tomatoes (yellow mini romas)

chocolate covered coconut macaroon treats

Tonight:

Gazpacho from home-grown tomatoes (not my home, alas)

Broiled lemon-garlic shrimp

Tagliatelle tossed with roasted artichoke hearts and toasted pignoli

wine choice tbd, but likely something incredibly inexpensive from Trader Joe's :rolleyes:

(Yes, it's early to be talking dinner. Yes, I spend most of my day planning what to make for dinner. Yes, I enjoy that. :huh: )

Onion and Tomato Bruschetta

Black Bean and Goat Cheese Ravioli with Chile Cream Sauce and Turkey Meatballs

The concept of the sauce was great, but the chiles in it were a bit too hot. It was a beautiful color and looked great with the ravioli (from Whole Foods, made with chipotle pasta).

Cold cucumber soup

Stuffed red pepper w yogurt-tahini sauce

Braised polychrome carrots

Green grapes

Stuffing: bulgur cooked in spicy liquid leftover from cooking organic, local black beans (hey, this is a retro hippie meal). Sautéed shallots, garlic, ground bison, celery, zucchini, mint, chives, parsley, sumac & pomegranate molasses.

Not purchased at the market: sugar, Champagne vinegar, buttermilk, butter, oil, lemon, salt, pepper, ground sumac, pom. molasses, chipotle in adobe, bay leaf (latter two in cooking liquid), water (local anyway)

Cold avocado and cucumber soup with boiled shrimp

Cantaloupe with mint and chamomile syrup

Both recipes are from last weeks new York times food section, and they worked out well, taking me to places I dont usually go in the kitchen. The liquids in the soup are buttermilk (which I hate to buy because I am always left with more than I can use; the recipe calls for a quarter of a cup), water and orange juice (up to a cup and a half; you are advised to start with half that amount and then keep adding until it suits your taste, and for me that was one cup). Garlic, dill, cayenne and salt are the remaining ingredients. The shrimp, medium-sized, purchased from black salt, were remarkably fresh and clean, dressed with olive oil and lime juice, which balanced their mild sweetness. Two of us ate a pound of the shrimp, which was going significantly overboard with the recipe.

The dessert recipe instructs you to remove the syrup from the heat once the water comes to a boil and the sugar is dissolved. If I did it again, i would give it a bit more time on the stove for a heavier syrup. Also, the recipe has you add the chamomile to the boiling solution, and then strain it out once the syrup has cooled. I brewed the tea and added that as the water to avoid the bother of straining it; I doubt it made much difference in the flavor, which was assertive enough. Three tablespoons of chopped mint are specified in the recipe, I took it down a bit. The correct mix of ingredients here can be quite subjective. If there is any argument I would have with this dish it is the sweetness, though you only add three tablespoons of the syrup, so it is mostly natural. It provided an interesting twist on a farmers market melon that would have been just about as good on its own.

Tonight I am looking into callaloo and sweet potato vines, hoping for a serious rush in the kitchen, assuming that is something you can actually get from nutrients. I have read that nutmeg will do it, when incarcerated, but that is something I have never tried (the former, not the latter).

Hors d'oeuvres: chicken-liver pate crostini, eggplant-caper-tomato dip, marinated olives

Dinner: seared scallops over wilted spinach with pancetta, shallot, tomato. Should probably go buy a prosecco instead of whatever I've got around, which is...very little. Hrm.

A curried barley salad with black beans, avocado, plums and carrots.

This was a recipe from an old issue of Hallmark Magazine. BLToddler picked it out and and has been asking me to make it for about a week.

Of course he refused to take more than a single bite (after digging around to find a bite of plum) in spite of loving every single component of the salad.

Sigh...

I thought it was petty tasty.

A curried barley salad with black beans, avocado, plums and carrots.

This was a recipe from an old issue of Hallmark Magazine. BLToddler picked it out and and has been asking me to make it for about a week.

Of course he refused to take more than a single bite (after digging around to find a bite of plum) in spite of loving every single component of the salad.

Sigh...

I thought it was petty tasty.

I'd eat the leftovers if BLToddler won't. (They learn, the littles...)

Crabmeat and Parsley Salad

Zucchini Gratin

Steak (t-bone, broiled, medium rare)

The salad is the first thing I've made from A Platter of Figs by David Tanis, but there are a lot of recipes in there that I'd love to try. This was nice and light, with a lemon-sesame oil dressing, served with spears of Belgian endive.

I saw an episode of Barefoot Contessa recently where she made the gratin and decided to try it. It came out very well. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/zucchini-gratin-recipe2/index.html

Oddly, the attribution of the recipe on the FN site says it is from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, but I have the book and I don't see it :rolleyes: .

The steak was "local beef" from Whole Foods, which I thought was just a marketing gimmick, but it was a juicy delicious steak.

Sour chickpeas with garam masala and toasted cumin - from Indian Home Cooking

Raita

Cherry tomato salad - These were the orange ones from Heinz's Next Step Produce and they were excellent.

Home made pita bread - This was the first time that I had made pita bread and it was easy and can be. I am going to make sure that I have (more) dough in the fridge to make these regularly.

Bell's Pale Ale

Tomato Pie from Simply Recipes.

I didn't drain the tomatoes well enough so it is extra liquid-y. I substituted ricotta for the mayo and added in mustard so BLToddler could eat it (egg allergy--no mayo for him...)

Very tasty but once again he rejected a recipe that he had helped pick that included individual items that he loves. I'm starting to get a complex that he doesn't like my cooking!

Very tasty but once again he rejected a recipe that he had helped pick that included individual items that he loves. I'm starting to get a complex that he doesn't like my cooking!

Nah. He's just being a kid. There's also the sum and parts thing. Liking the components doesn't necessarily mean he'll like them together.

I suspect that a while down the road he's going to want you to make something he has fond memories of but that you thought he hated :rolleyes:

Last night was

Cold Cucumber Soup

Summer (rice paper) Rolls filled with crab and parsley salad and chopped endive

Armenian Noodles and Cheese

Baked Chicken Breasts

I designed last night's meal mostly to be eaten cold. (I made the noodle/cheese casserole ahead and reheated some of it in the microwave, but everything else was cold or room temperature.)

The soup was the one RJ Cooper posted in the Vidalia thread, though I adjusted measurements a bit. I cut the sugar down from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup and used 1 tablespoon kosher salt for the "to taste" amount. It came out very well--a nice combination of sweet, sour, and salty, with a hint of onion. (I used a fairly large Vidalia instead of the small one called for, since I wanted to taste the onion and figured that was more likely with more going in).

The summer rolls made good use of the leftover crab and parsley salad from the other night, but I still can't form those things correctly :rolleyes:. Noodles and cheese was my MIL's basic recipe, with some feta added, as per a recipe from an Armenian cookbook. Baked chicken breasts were the way my mother used to make them, with just lemon juice, s + p, and butter dotted on the top.

...The summer rolls made good use of the leftover crab and parsley salad from the other night, but I still can't form those things correctly :rolleyes: ...

That meal sounds fantastic, a cooling antidote for DC's swampy atmosphere.

In working with rice paper, one of the biggest mistakes I made was using too much filling. I was over-stuffing them, precluding any success with correct formation.

It may be worth it to experiment with smaller filling amounts. It will seem far too sparse at first, but the resulting rolls may provide the shaping and surprisingly abundant texture you are seeking.

Of course, another mistake I've made is having too much rice juice (i.e, sake) while trying to work with rice paper. But that's a posting for another time. :huh:

Tonight:

Gougères made with Danish blue* cheese

Roasted garlic-cumin-white bean dip with crudités and pita chips

Pimento goat cheese** with radishes, celery, crackers for dipping/spreading

Sticky balsamic chicken wings

Mini-lamb meatballs with mint-almond pesto

Broiled shrimp with Dijon and tarragon

Somewhere between 10-15 bottles of various wines

Oh, and I think someone is bringing something dessert-like. Maybe.

Yep, tonight is cocktail party night. :rolleyes:

*The Danes, apparently. prefer the anglicization to the French version.

**This is from the recent Food and Wine story on Red Hook Winery, wherein the party was hosted and the recipes come from Katie Lee, until recently Katie Lee Joel. As far as I know, her entire claim to fame is having been, recently, married to Billy Joel. I have no idea if this dish will be edible, but darned if I'm not gonna try and find out, if only for the amusement factor.

My attempt at replicating (and improving upon) a dish on the menu at H Street Country Club:

Roast duck over chilaquiles

avocado-tomatillo salsa

Cojita cheese

white rice and Rancho Gordo Midnight black beans

Pretty good. I did the duck on the convection setting, since my regular thermostat is screwy and that one isn't, and I overcooked it a bit. It looked good, but it passed medium rare and went to medium.

What do you do when you grow an heirloom sweet corn, and because you aren't sure how big the ears are supposed to be, you accidentally let it go too long so it turns starchy? Make cachapas. So good that I wish we had let all of it go too long. I didn't need to add the PAN because the corn was starchy enough, but I did add some baking powder for better texture. We also had a mixed green salad.

That meal sounds fantastic, a cooling antidote for DC's swampy atmosphere.

In working with rice paper, one of the biggest mistakes I made was using too much filling. I was over-stuffing them, precluding any success with correct formation.

It may be worth it to experiment with smaller filling amounts. It will seem far too sparse at first, but the resulting rolls may provide the shaping and surprisingly abundant texture you are seeking.

Of course, another mistake I've made is having too much rice juice (i.e, sake) while trying to work with rice paper. But that's a posting for another time. :huh:

I have the too much filling tendency with anything stuffed I make (burritos, ravioli, grape leaves, etc.), so I've gotten better at restraining myself...most of the time :rolleyes:. The biggest problem I have with rice paper seems to be getting them moist enough without them being so wet that the wrapper sticks together when I try to fill it. They also tear more easily when they're too wet, I have learned.

Last night I compared and combined about ten recipes I found on the internet for Thai drunken noodles (Pad Kee Mao). For a first attempt, I was pretty happy with the sauce. I used broccoli, carrots, and jicama, and ended up having to serve it over rice this time. Those fat rice noodles are hard to find. I'm going to try the market at Seven Corners next.

antipasto platter (assorted meats, olives, provolone)

garlic cheese bread

penne with tomato sauce, Parmesan, and turkey meatballs

Pat -- how do you do your turkey meatballs? They are a staple for me but I'm always looking for ways to jazz them up...

Pat -- how do you do your turkey meatballs? They are a staple for me but I'm always looking for ways to jazz them up...

Not Pat, but would like to chime in. Nate Appleman in "A16 Food + Wine" has a recipe for roasted chicken meatballs. (Page 185) I make them with ground turkey thighs. It takes about 20 minutes in 400* oven.

Skipper.

Not Pat, but would like to chime in. Nate Appleman in "A16 Food + Wine" has a recipe for roasted chicken meatballs. (Page 185) I make them with ground turkey thighs. It takes about 20 minutes in 400* oven.

Skipper.

That's similar to how I do mine; thanks!

Hi, I'm Dan Cole, and I make Thirty Minute Meals! That means that in the time it takes you to whack off to Rachael Ray's FHM photo spread, I'll have made a delicious and healthy meal from start to finish!

Roasted root vegetable soup with onion and garlic chips with balsamic drizzle

Super flaky biscuits

Nothing beats soup for a massive deliciousness/elegance to time ratio. It's amazing how good this was given the time and effort. Homemade chicken stock, roux, onions, parsnips, leeks, carrots, and turnips. One thing I loved is that I used a chinois to strain it post-blending: no cream, but it ended up with this unbelievably silky, creamy texture. This is a great way to use leftover frozen veggies (as I did here), or if you get something from a CSA or farmer's market and want to use it in a manner that's simple and will really let the natural flavors shine.

I can never figure out why I don't make soup more often.

That's all the time I have for today! Remember, a GREAT meal - of soup! - is never more than thirty minutes away!

That's similar to how I do mine; thanks!

Do you use fennel seeds and a drop or two of white wine? When I don't serve my turkey meatballs with peperonata, I add a bit of ground nuts, and if I have time, I make bechamel sauce that usually takes an hour and a quarter.

Skipper

Do you use fennel seeds and a drop or two of white wine? When I don't serve my turkey meatballs with peperonata, I add a bit of ground nuts, and if I have time, I make bechamel sauce that usually takes an hour and a quarter.

Skipper

Fennel seeds if I have 'em; lots of thyme and sage if it's around; and tons and tons of garlic (in my world, there is no such thing as too much garlic). I appreciate the bechamel, but rarely have the time (or is that patience? Hmmm...). :rolleyes:

This is for you, Dan.

I sometimes follow recipes for turkey meatballs, but I kind of winged it with these: 1 lb. turkey, fresh breadcrumbs soaked in a little milk, an egg, dried Italian seasoning, and hot pepper flakes.

Tonight was homemade tortilla chips with green and red salsas; roasted red pepper tomato soup (from a box); and, toasted turkey and muenster sandwiches on whole grain bread.