Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Cherokee purple tomato, torpedo onion, basil and mozzarella di bufala with garlic crostini

herb-brined Eco-Friendly chicken, spatchcocked and charcoal grilled

fresh corn polenta

Edy's raspberry popsicles

2008 Jean-Luc Columbo Rosé

Second dessert was a phone call from my daughter, with a report on the 1st day of classes at UNC Chapel Hill--her sophomore year. She's very excited about her comp lit class, "The Feast in Film, Fiction and Philosophy"--they'll be watching Babette's Feast, naturally, and having a chocolate tasting, among other things, and talking about (but not tasting) wine. <sigh> Almost makes me wish I could go to college again. And she told me that she cooked huevos rancheros for herself and her friends. <kvell>

Picked up a cheap copy of the Magnolia Grill cookbook (love that place).

Made the cheddar linzers: sandwiched crackers with pepper jelly that looks like a linzer cookie and...

Pork rib chop with creamy shrimp hominy (added some chorizo)

porkchopswithchorizoandb.jpg

Cornmeal crepes with peaches and caramel for dessert

We are in the final phases of the pre-wedding detox diet, and getting rather bored with grilled chicken and broiled salmon. So last night I boiled some soba noodles, and simultaneously stir-fried some cubed chicken, water chestnuts, broccoli, garlic, and ginger in a Szechuan sauce. Then I just tossed it all together--VERY spicy (cleared out the ol' sinuses), but a nice change of pace.

NY strip with ancho-cumin rub and Alton Brown's avocado butter

Char-grilled corn, also with avocado butter and ancho-cumin spice

Breckenridge Avalanche Ale

If you've never grilled corn, husks off, to the point of mild blackening, you're really missing out on the true power of corn.

Corn Power - GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Nachos:

Nana's Cochina tradtional torilla chips

Cabot extra sharp cheddar

guacamole (Haas avocados, serranos, Vidalia onion, lime, Tellicherry black pepper, coarse salt)

Peach habañero salsa (tomatoes and habañeros form le jardin du maison Miller; peaches from Homestead Farm, Poolesville; Vidalia onion, serranos, cilantro, lime juice, evoo, coarse salt)

Peaches with Greek yogurt ice cream for dessert

Duck soup with rice

Fredonian cuisine?

last night:

salad with avocado and roasted golden beets

charcoal-grilled cedar planked salmon* with dill sauce

haricots verts and sauteed crimini mushrooms

basmati rice

a perfect ripe peach

more 2008 Colombo rosé

*my elegant solution to the perpetual argument about which we should eat--wild vs. farmed salmon: I bought a piece of wild salmon for me, a piece of farmed salmon for him. Don't know why it took so many years for me to figure that one out.

Somehow I find myself having a dinner party tonight for a friend who's leaving to return to grad school soon. Maybe this is why I keep thinking today is Friday, not Thursday? Oy.

preprandial: Dubonnet rouge, kir; crostini with avocado and manchego

dinner: tarragon-dijon broiled shrimp (yes, I made this for my cocktail party, and it was so good I'm making it again),

haricots verts with pancetta and shallots,and I'm still contemplating the need for a wild rice pilaf or something else; wine (acquired via guest)

dessert: key lime pie (acquired via guest)

Amidst fields, chickens, horses, dogs, dragon flies, ponds, ringed by mountains and interrupted by a downpour:

chilled sun gold soup

venison burgers w slaw

pulled pork

different slaw

grilled vegetables & peaches

succotash salad w home-cured bacon

pickled okra

open-face peach pie w bourbon whipped cream

two-crust peach pie

Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho (from Blacksalt; delicious)

Arctic Char, simply sauteed per Scott Weinstein's instructions.

Steamed broccoli with lemon, olive oil, and a pinch of peperoncino.

Fresh red raspberries.

Domaine Drouhin Oregon Chardonnay.

Incredibly noisy night critters providing the background music.

Steak salad

Turkey provolone rollups

Leftover ribeye, sliced, over baby arugula and tomatoes for the salad. A drizzle of salsa verde for the spread on the tortillas for the rollups. Good quick dinner.

A porcini tomato sauce served over spaghetti squash. I used to love them as a kid - scraping out the little strands seemed like magic. I should buy one more often.

Enough Romano beans from the garden that we each had five. Note to self: plant more beans next year.

The Mostly Local You-Can't-Beat-the-Classics Feast

Special thanks to the Ashburn Farmers' Market

Haricots Verts Lyonnaise (only non-local ingredient was the red wine vinegar)

Mashed potatoes (100% local)

Herb roasted chicken with traditional pan gravy (only non-local ingredient was the lemon juice)

Parker House rolls (hmm... I guess the only thing local here was the water)

This was like the perfect all-around Sunday dinner, and a great cap on a day spent smoking bacon and prepping food for the week (more on the braised lamb shanks later).

The salt I used was also local... I've been collecting and evaporating my underarm sweat.

J was not enthused at the prospect of an all-veggie dinner, so when I went out to get bread, I got some fresh, wild caught Carolina shrimp at BlackSalt. Much happier.

Per J's request, the shrimps were shelled and deveined, poached in fish stock, chilled and served with homemade cocktail sauce

alongside:

caprese salad with mozz di bufala from Costco

ratatouille

farro salad

marinated fresh borlotti beans (the sign at Eli's booth at the Dupont Market called them bird's egg beans).

2008 La Bastide Saint Dominique rosé

Toasted homemade white bread

Cottage cheese

Braised Red Cabbage with Maple and Ginger (Molly Stevens' recipe)

I chopped the last of some leftover duck and added it to the cabbage, in addition to some dried cherries and sliced small zucchini. (I didn't have the apple the recipe calls for.)

This wasn't as local a meal as Dan's, but it had its moments. It was a using up odds and ends meal. I bought the cabbage from Gardener's Gourmet at Eastern Market a few months ago. It kept very well in the refrigerator :rolleyes: . The dried cherries had been in the pantry for quite a long time, but they cooked up nicely. The zucchini was excess from a gratin I made a while ago and they had been hanging out in the fridge, aging. They were also from an outside vendor at Eastern Market. The cottage cheese was in a huge tub of Breakstone from Costco that doesn't have much time left, and the bread was an extra loaf I made from a James Beard recipe earlier in the summer and had frozen.

farro salad

marinated fresh borlotti beans (the sign at Eli's booth at the Dupont Market called them bird's egg beans).

A little bit country and Southern, Spring Valley Farm of West Virginia (also at a number of other markets in the area) usually has this one variety of fresh shelling bean for at least 2-3 weeks. A lot of Chez Panisse/Californian, restaurant cookbooks extoll the virtues of fresh shelling beans (e.g. Zuni Café, Lucques), too.

I heard that Farm at Sunnyside has expanded the number of varieties of shelling beans they grew this year. Given how much time they spend harvesting tomatoes in August, the farm prefers to sell them newly dried in cooler weather.

PS Where did you pick up your farro? I know several sources in the area, but am curious.

A little bit country and Southern, Spring Valley Farm of West Virginia (also at a number of other markets in the area) usually has this one variety of fresh shelling bean for at least 2-3 weeks. A lot of Chez Panisse/Californian, restaurant cookbooks extoll the virtues of fresh shelling beans (e.g. Zuni Café, Lucques), too.

I heard that Farm at Sunnyside has expanded the number of varieties of shelling beans they grew this year. Given how much time they spend harvesting tomatoes in August, the farm prefers to sell them newly dried in cooler weather.

PS Where did you pick up your farro? I know several sources in the area, but am curious.

The Italian Store carries it.

First time doing lamb shanks. I can't wait to try them again, because I can tell I'd really like them but this time I just royally frakked them up:

Braised lamb shanks with: (deep breath) onion, carrots, garlic, rosemary, lime, tequila (???), ancho, cloves, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and probably others

Mexican flavors make a great lamb taco. North African lamb is spicy and complex. European lamb is rich and silky. Put them all together, though, and it's like a devil's threesome: sure it's wild, but really the extra just complicates things without adding anything of its own.

Next time I'm listening to my friend Leigh and just doing basic mirepoix, red wine, and gremolata.

Also had some beautiful argent corn from the Ashburn farmers' market: not too sweet, and very earthy and corny.

Leftover Parker House rolls reheated in foil on the grill

As an appetizer had some tomatoes we found growing in our yard a few weeks ago and decided to nurture. ScotteeM calls these "volunteers." :rolleyes:

post-1225-125176275786_thumb.jpg

And for "dessert," cooked up some bacon I just smoked on Sunday:

post-1225-12517632462_thumb.jpg

post-1225-125176324117_thumb.jpg

Squash blossom risotto seasoned with shallot, cheiro peppers, pecorino romano, a little butter, and riesling. This was my first go at squash blossoms. For reasons I don't understand, perhaps the cooler nights, the vines are flowering again.

Mixed green salad with another garden tomato.

Braised lamb shanks with: (deep breath) onion, carrots, garlic, rosemary, lime, tequila (???), ancho, cloves, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and probably others

Next time I'm listening to my friend Leigh and just doing basic mirepoix, red wine, and gremolata.

I err too much on the side of clean, simple flavors sometimes... :rolleyes: How about next time, rack of lamb chez moi, and, uh, can I have some bacon?

First time doing lamb shanks. I can't wait to try them again, because I can tell I'd really like them but this time I just royally frakked them up:

Mexican flavors make a great lamb taco. North African lamb is spicy and complex. European lamb is rich and silky. Put them all together, though, and it's like a devil's threesome: sure it's wild, but really the extra just complicates things without adding anything of its own.

To make your "Euro-style" lamb shanks taste as good as they can possibly taste, make a cooked wine marinade (red wine simmered with aromatics and without salt), marinate the shanks in that strained, cooled cooked wine for several days in a zip lock bag. Remove the shanks from the marinade, and SAVE ALL THE LIQUID. Dry then brown the shanks, sautee mirepoix, and then add all the marinade liquid to the pot--this is your braising liquid. For extra yumminess, when sauteeing your mirepoix, add a T of tomato paste and a bit of anchovy, and to the liquid add a T or 2 of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and brandy. Bay leaf, parsley and thyme. Yum.

To make your "Euro-style" lamb shanks taste as good as they can possibly taste, make a cooked wine marinade (red wine simmered with aromatics and without salt), marinate the shanks in that strained, cooled cooked wine for several days in a zip lock bag. Remove the shanks from the marinade, and SAVE ALL THE LIQUID. Dry then brown the shanks, sautee mirepoix, and then add all the marinade liquid to the pot--this is your braising liquid. For extra yumminess, when sauteeing your mirepoix, add a T of tomato paste and a bit of anchovy, and to the liquid add a T or 2 of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and brandy. Bay leaf, parsley and thyme. Yum.

That's what I do for beef short ribs. I never thought about the anchovy, but it's making a ton a sense in my head. Thank you!! I gotta stock up at the farmers' market before the season is over...

For the kids:

Fresh Toigo corn

Tree & Leaf heirloom tomatoes sprinkled with Maldon

Mickey Mouse-shaped white meat, whole grain chicken nuggets from Costco, because I was evilly curious. The children were appalled at the shape. :rolleyes:

Milk

Raspberries and blueberries with Greek yogurt for dessert

Today was my 12th first day of school as a teacher/administrator and I usually treat myself to Palena but they are closed for the week. This is also my last chance for a home cooked meal until Monday at the earliest so I splurged calorie wise...

Garlic stuffed broiled lamb chops with smoked salt in a golden cherry tomato sauce

Roasted green beans

A small hunk of parano cheese

Zora, how do you do your creamed corn? I was going to try it last night and was overwhelmed by recipes, so I just grilled my corn and called it a day.

I have an old-timey tool that simultaneously shreds and scrapes the corn off the cob and i use that to puree the corn straight into a pot. Then I cook it briefly with some butter and a pinch of salt. If I didn't have that tool, I would cut the kernels off and puree them in a blender. I once posted a link to the tool, but I'm too tired to find it again. Maybe tomorrow.

Red leaf lettuce and spinach salad with bacon, eggs, mushrooms, and garlic croutons

Macaroni with prunes

The pasta dish was one I was intrigued by when I saw it online while searching for ways to use a Costco size package of Italian prune plums. The idea of a sweet sauce for pasta intrigued me. Some tomato sauces are kind of sweet, so why not, I thought. It's a Spanish recipe, and the translation was...interesting. The result was also...interesting--the flavor was good but there wasn't enough sauce (plum, white wine, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon) for the pasta, and I only prepared half as much pasta as called for. (I used penne for the macaroni.)

I have an old-timey tool that simultaneously shreds and scrapes the corn off the cob and i use that to puree the corn straight into a pot. Then I cook it briefly with some butter and a pinch of salt. If I didn't have that tool, I would cut the kernels off and puree them in a blender. I once posted a link to the tool, but I'm too tired to find it again. Maybe tomorrow.

I bet it's the same tool that was written about in the Bitten post about creamed corn. I may go looking for one next time I'm in the mood for a fun gadget. :rolleyes:

I bet it's the same tool that was written about in the Bitten post about creamed corn. I may go looking for one next time I'm in the mood for a fun gadget. :rolleyes:

It is funny to me that you all think of this as a fun, specialty tool when I've seen them all my life. I've even seen them thrown out because they wore out. I have shredded many a finger throughout my life during the sweet corn harvest at my Grandmother's, and there are about ten of these still in a drawer out there, patiently awaiting their next victims...

It is funny to me that you all think of this as a fun, specialty tool when I've seen them all my life. I've even seen them thrown out because they wore out. I have shredded many a finger throughout my life during the sweet corn harvest at my Grandmother's, and there are about ten of these still in a drawer out there, patiently awaiting their next victims...

It may be new to Mark Bittman, but I've had mine for many years...