Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

A light dinner after an overindulgent lunch. Mixed greens salad including baby arugula and German pink heirloom tomatoes from the garden. I used some "French Vinaigrette" dressing mix from a Penzey's package I found while cleaning out the pantry, and I ended up adjusting the spice mix to the highest recommended level. We still added some more salt to the tomatoes.

dinner for out-of-town friends

manhattans

roasted mission figs wrapped in La Quercia prosciutto

Jamie Stachowski's paté with cornichons

camembert

roasted kabocha squash and fennel soup

2007 Macon Loche chardonnay

charcoal mixed grill: yogurt marinated Eco-Friendly goat sirloin chops, Jamie Stachowski merguez sausages, rack of lamb (Australian)

roasted eggplant relish (with roasted red pepper, capers, olives, roasted garlic, anchovy, parsley, lemon, red wine vinegar, urfa pepper, cumin)

green beans with roasted garlic and lemon

saffron basmati pilaf

2006 Clio Jumilla

plum upside down cake with whipped cream

Peet's espresso

Belle Brillat pear liqueur

Beautiful meal. With provisions and a beverage line up like that, I would not be surprised if they became "out-of-town" no longer. They are probably scoping the listings for your neighborhood.

With provisions and a beverage line up like that, I would not be surprised if they became "out-of-town" no longer. They are probably scoping the listings for your neighborhood.

I definitely owe them. These friends have housed and fed us very well, many times. They live not far from the UNC Chapel Hill campus, where my daughter is going to school. and we have had numerous occasions, from campus searching, to dorm move-in and move-out, etc. to be in Chapel Hill. Thanks to them, we don't have to spring for a hotel. They stored some of her stuff over the summer in their garage, so we didn't need to bring it all home at the end of the year, then back again. Plus, they introduced me to the newest love-of-my-cooking-life, the Hasty Bake Grill-Oven.

Zora, can you say more about the Hasty Bake? What are the features that make it your latest culinary love?

Hasty Bake

Much more interior cooking space than my Weber Kettle--a whole turkey will fit inside. The charcoal moves up and down inside with a smooth-turning crank, so that it can be close under the food for grilling steak, or can be lowered way down for longer cooking foods like chicken. Upper rack is great for roasting eggplant or onions, while I am cooking something else on the grill. Does a great job for slow-cooking ribs and other cue, using the heat deflector over the coals. It's easy to clean out the ashes. Built to last a lifetime.

Last night:

Tacos* with tequila-chili-lime chicken, sauteed peppers and onions, shredded sharp cheddar, sour cream, and salsa

Tonight:

Lentil salad with red peppers, cucumbers, olives, and feta, dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper

*I suppose they weren't technically "tacos" since I ate them in pita bread, not tortillas, but I'm trying to clean out the fridge before I go back on the road Thursday... And they were still tasty!!

Baguette slices, speck, and Le Delice St. Faron triple creme cheese

Butter lettuce with tomato slices, yellow bell pepper, cucumber, mushrooms; vinaigrette

Roast boneless leg of lamb coated with anchovy-garlic-rosemary paste

Tzatziki

Baked potato

Hickory smoked tri-tip roast with my all purpose beef rub and maple syrup

Hickory smoked corn

Chiche's Spicy Chimichurri

All from the Fairfax Farmer's market. This made an AMAZING salad for leftovers.

I think smoke is an underutilized flavor. I've certainly held the impression that smoking required long cooking times, soaking the wood chips, controlling the fire, building a box out of aluminum foil, etc. etc. etc.

Heck no.

Pick up some wood chips (I like hickory for all purpose) and next time you're grilling just toss some from the bag to the fire. This is especially useful when you're finishing something over indirect heat. The whole project took less than 15 minutes from start to finish.

Hickory smoked corn

All from the Fairfax Farmer's market. This made an AMAZING salad for leftovers.

I think smoke is an underutilized flavor. I've certainly held the impression that smoking required long cooking times, soaking the wood chips, controlling the fire, building a box out of aluminum foil, etc. etc. etc.

Heck no.

Pick up some wood chips (I like hickory for all purpose) and next time you're grilling just toss some from the bag to the fire. This is especially useful when you're finishing something over indirect heat. The whole project took less than 15 minutes from start to finish.

Did you smoke the tri-tip like a pork butt or brisket or just use wood chips while grilling? I think you did the later based on your commentary, but figured that I would ask to be sure. I am curious if you did the former as to how it turned out since it is a relatively lean piece of meat.

Did you smoke the tri-tip like a pork butt or brisket or just use wood chips while grilling? I think you did the later based on your commentary, but figured that I would ask to be sure. I am curious if you did the former as to how it turned out since it is a relatively lean piece of meat.

I cooked the tri-tip like I would normally. Seared to beautiful Maillarded char over high heat, then moved off the coals and covered the lid to get it gently up to temperature. It was during the latter part that I tossed on the chips.

The entire point was that this was great smoky flavor WITHOUT the long cooking times and fussiness of butt or brisket.

Hickory smoked corn

Awesome line-up (especially theh hickory smoked corn!). I'm jealous! As an apartment dweller, I don't get to grill too often. Am motivated to pick up some corn for tonight anyway.

Awesome line-up (especially theh hickory smoked corn!). I'm jealous! As an apartment dweller, I don't get to grill too often. Am motivated to pick up some corn for tonight anyway.

Smoking indoors is possible. Put wood chips at bottom of roasting pan, cover with rack, cover with food, cover with foil. Go.

Smoking indoors is possible. Put wood chips at bottom of roasting pan, cover with rack, cover with food, cover with foil. Go.

This is very true, however, the lovely grill flavor/crust is basically impossible to get indoors. While I love my apartment, it crushes me that I don't have access to a grill (esp. while I salivate as I read the posts above).

This is very true, however, the lovely grill flavor/crust is basically impossible to get indoors. While I love my apartment, it crushes me that I don't have access to a grill (esp. while I salivate as I read the posts above).

FWIW, Alexandria allows grills on apartment balconies.

Also, my grill is open to the public as long as you share the results. :(

I'm willing to try anything so long as it won't burn my place down...At the same time, I agree with Rovers as I somewhow doubt that the result (flavor) will be the same as grilling outdoors.

FWIW, Alexandria allows grills on apartment balconies.

Also, my grill is open to the public as long as you share the results. :P

I actually wasn't aware that was the case in Alexandria (I know it definitely was frowned upon when I was living in Ballston). Thanks for the helpful FYI

As I'm now a home/condo owner in Cleveland Park I feel the sometimes cranky residents would be annoyed if I was tending a weber anywhere near the premises, regardless of the resulting tasty treats :(

The past three work days (and two intervening weekend ones) have been as hellish as I have ever encountered, and it won't change soon. So, more comfort food:

Parmesan-herb-crusted chicken breasts (or, my version of my MIL's "chicken cutlets," which in turn are her German Lutheran version of her Italian MIL's vitello Milanese)

Sautéed eggplant and zucchini with lots and lots and lots of garlic -- hey, I said it was comfort food!

Marinated olives

Dubonnet on the rocks to start, Nero d'Avola to drink (so I'm mixing northern and southern Italy ... but I'm fiddling while Rome burns)

As I'm now a home/condo owner in Cleveland Park I feel the sometimes cranky residents would be annoyed if I was tending a weber anywhere near the premises, regardless of the resulting tasty treats :(

Our Capitol Hill condo has terrace-level spots where people have grills, although apparently it's still illegal. I couldn't care less -- although I'd like if they offered to share. :P

Triple creme cheese and water crackers

Green salad (butter lettuce, cucumber, tomato, yellow pepper, mushroom, radishes; vinaigrette)

Leftover roasted lamb

Roasted potatoes

Swiss chard, fava beans, and speck

I'm sure favas must be out of season here now, but they had them at Whole Foods and didn't have several other things I wanted/needed, so I decided to make a chard-fava dish. It turned out really well.

My GRE student lives in MD and works in Silver Spring, yet treks to my place in SE DC for tutoring, so I invited her to stay for dinner. After we're done revisiting the Pythagorean theorem, percent change, and the quadratic formula, I'll sit her down with some marinated olives and a glass of pinot noir while I cook.

Seared pork loin chops with blackberry-balsamic-shallot gastrique

Sautéed green and wax beans with garlic.

Toasted organic wheat boule

I hope she feels she's getting her money's worth. Won't know for sure til she gets into school, but it's nice to make the process a bit more pleasant.

I picked up some really nice Bartlett pears at Trader Joe's in Old Town today.

Green salad with baby cress and arugula from the garden, pears, goats' milk brie, dried cranberries and toasted pecans, all in a sherry/walnut oil vinaigrette.

Pear cake adapted from a family recipe for apple cake. I subbed out cardamom for some of the cinnamon and was very happy with the result.

1/3 Lillet Blanc, 2/3 prosecco.

Roasted Tomato Soup with Peppers, Okra and Rice

Toasted slice of sunflower flax bread

Clafouti with figs and raspberries

Soup combined bits from two recipes from Deborah Madison: originally this Yellow Tomato Soup (scroll down) and Roasted Tomato Soup. Used around 3-4 lbs. of Mr. Stripy tomatoes, mostly yellow but w pinkish streaks, with one orange and one yellow tomato. Also roasted 4 yellow and orange peppers. Just love a bowl of this at the end of tomato season when it's cooled down. (Had a handful of okra that needed something to do and some leftover pilaf.)

My GRE student lives in MD and works in Silver Spring, yet treks to my place in SE DC for tutoring, so I invited her to stay for dinner. After we're done revisiting the Pythagorean theorem, percent change, and the quadratic formula, I'll sit her down with some marinated olives and a glass of pinot noir while I cook.

Seared pork loin chops with blackberry-balsamic-shallot gastrique

Sautéed green and wax beans with garlic.

Toasted organic wheat boule

I hope she feels she's getting her money's worth. Won't know for sure til she gets into school, but it's nice to make the process a bit more pleasant.

I had cereal for dinner (leaving town in the morning, and I'm trying to clean out), but I wanted to post to say... Yay Leleboo! As someone who had close relationships with her teachers, and whose mother taught for decades, more as a vocation than a job, I think that personal relationships are an invaluable part of the learning process. No matter the end result in one year or 30 years, thanks for putting yourself out there and investing in your student. It really CAN make all the difference.

Last night was dinner from the garden and a western VIrginia rural farm stand. Heirloom tomatoes at 50 cents a pound. Gotta love that.

German striped tomato over arugula dressed with aged balsamic vinegar and grey sea salt

Steamed green beans mixed with the last of my Romano beans, tossed in butter and coarse salt

Grilled sweet corn with butter and coarse salt

What I love most about summer is the fresh produce. When you have beautiful ingredients, you have to do so little to them to make a wonderful, flavorful meal.

last night:

charcoal-roasted herb brined Eco-Friendly chicken

charcoal roasted corn off the cob

fresh cranberry beans stewed with aromatics and Jamie Stachowski smoked duck sausage

quick-pickled roasted beets

leftover kale with Frank's hot sauce

wild persimmon quick bread

2008 Kirkland Russian River Pinot Noir

Hors d'oeuvres:

sage darby cheese with rye Triscuits (yeah, I'm classin' it up :()

marinated olives

Dinner:

Seared salmon with white wine-mustard glaze

Roasted herbed red bliss potatoes

Lemony sautéed broccolini

Dessert:

First attempt (!) at the pan-baked lemon-almond tart from this week's Minimalist column.

Guests: Dan Cole and his lovely plus one :P

Guests on their way; better get drinks ready!

Nigella Lawson's poached chicken with kale, chorizo, and cannellini beans. This is my favorite thing to make when I'm Azami-free for dinner, since he doesn't eat chicken. Honestly, I might not even bother with the chicken next time; it's so the least compelling part of the dish.

Waldorf Salad

Orzo with Zucchini and Salami

In addition to my typical raisins, walnuts, celery, apple, and mayo, I added halved green grapes to the salad. This is (other than peanut butter and crackers) the oldest comfort food I remember. My grandmother used to make this for me.

The orzo dish was simple and fantastic. I found it recently while searching through recipes at theartisan.net, a website that I hadn't checked out in a while but have long enjoyed.

Hors d'oeuvres:

sage darby cheese with rye Triscuits (yeah, I'm classin' it up :()

marinated olives

Dinner:

Seared salmon with white wine-mustard glaze

Roasted herbed red bliss potatoes

Lemony sautéed broccolini

Dessert:

First attempt (!) at the pan-baked lemon-almond tart from this week's Minimalist column.

Guests: Dan Cole and his lovely plus one :P

Guests on their way; better get drinks ready!

Everything was outstanding, thank you :D

Mojitos with Barbancourt and demerara simple

Gratin of fingerling potatoes, chevre, and a tomato, onion, garlic, herb sauce

Sauteed chard with red pepper flakes and a few dashes of balsamic vinegar

This was the first chard from the garden this season. :(

Mojitos with Barbancourt and demerara simple

Gratin of fingerling potatoes, chevre, and a tomato, onion, garlic, herb sauce

Sauteed chard with red pepper flakes and a few dashes of balsamic vinegar

This was the first chard from the garden this season. :P

Wow -- that gratin sounds amazing. And I love chard. If you notice a shadowy figure raiding your garden ... :(

Crackers, cheese, grapes, and pistachios

Mixed green salad

Roasted pork tenderloin stuffed with thyme, sage, and prunes

Scalloped apples

Cauliflower in cheese sauce

The cauliflower was from Southern Maryland, via a producer at Eastern Market. Pork was Niman Ranch from Harris Teeter. Apples were from a "local" farm via Whole Foods (but I forget which farm).

Oven-fried squid

Dipping sauce made from Chef Todd Wiss' Honeycrisp apple jam, a touch of mayo, habanero salsa, salt/pepper

Raw pecans (random snack as the squid cooked)

Broadbent Vinho Verde

And nothing has any flavor. A fall cold vexes me, this best be my quota for the year.

merguez meatballs, made with home-ground Eco-Friendly goat leg chops

minted yogurt dipping sauce

chickpeas stewed with onion, roasted tomatoes and roasted red pepper, ras al hanout, urfa pepper, lemon and cilantro

kadoo (roasted kabocha squash in sauce of yogurt, mint and garlic)

cucumber with labneh

basmati rice

2003 Carina Cellars Santa Barbara Syrah

best. pulled pork. ever.

spicy tomato-based bbq sauce

red cabbage slaw with buttermilk dressing

beer

responding to a spousal request that I "smoke some ribs or something this weekend," and not wanting either to use factory-raised pork or to wait until frozen pork from the Dupont market could thaw, I headed over to The Organic Butcher of McLean on Saturday, and bought some Berkshire (breed) boneless pork shoulder. I would have preferred bone-in, but boneless was all they had. it was beautifully marbled and a healthy-looking deep red color. I made a simple salt-sugar-bay leaf-thyme brine, and immersed the meat in it for about three hours, while at the same time soaking chunks of hickory in warm water. using hardwood briquets for a longer, slower fire, and a heat deflector over the coals with a drip pan filled with water sitting on top of it, I smoked the pork for a little over an hour, then wrapped it in heavy duty foil and moved it to the upper shelf inside the HastyBake, where I left it for another two hours. I monitored the thermometer on the door, and it stayed at just under 250 f, dropping down to about 230 f at the end of the cooking time. oh. my. god. this was the most succulent, juicy, savory, tender melt-in-your-mouth, smoky, porky bbq I have ever eaten. we were both swooning over it. I didn't feel like going out to the store, and I had a red cabbage in the house, so I used that to make coleslaw, and also used regular Marty's sesame hamburger buns to make the sandwiches. the sauce was good, with molasses and cumin and just enough spice. next time J makes fun of me for watching Cook's Country on tv, I'll remind him that I used their recommended method for making that fabulous smoked pulled pork shoulder. I'm sure he'll remember it for a long time.