Lent

chuchelo

I was having a conversation with a friend the other night and the subject of Lent and eating out came up. She was saying that she thought all restaurants would take Lent into consideration and have extra meatless choices on Fridays. I didn't think restaurants would pay much attention to Lent or make any changes just for the season. Later it did occur to me to ask about it here. So, is your restaurant aware of Lent? If so, have there been any changes to the Friday menus?

I was having a conversation with a friend the other night and the subject of Lent and eating out came up. She was saying that she thought all restaurants would take Lent into consideration and have extra meatless choices on Fridays. I didn't think restaurants would pay much attention to Lent or make any changes just for the season. Later it did occur to me to ask about it here. So, is your restaurant aware of Lent? If so, have there been any changes to the Friday menus?

The lenten friday fish phenomenon is not as prevalent as it was ten years ago. Bearing that in mind we do not add meatless choices, but prepare for a greater proportion of fish dishes for those who maintain the tradition

Yes, I hear that a lot, Mark, about the giving up the drink. I know a number of folks who give up eating out altogether. Personally, I don't eat fish or seafood so if I'm out on a Friday I'm looking for a vegetarian meal. More often than not, however, I don't eat out on Fridays during Lent at all. It's just easier that way.

Any suggestions for Lenten meals (e.g., no meat)? Ethnic dishes in particular. I'm most concerned about protein. I'm not a big egg eater. Of course, there is always fish and legumes. Although always a good source of protein, I've grown tired of Indian. I will peruse Jaffrey's World Vegetarian but I'd appreciate other suggestions.

Any suggestions for Lenten meals (e.g., no meat)? Ethnic dishes in particular. I'm most concerned about protein. I'm not a big egg eater. Of course, there is always fish and legumes. Although always a good source of protein, I've grown tired of Indian. I will peruse Jaffrey's World Vegetarian but I'd appreciate other suggestions.
In Louisiana, the joke is that you have to give up seafood for Lent, and settle for meat. :o

Seriously, it would really be a sacrifice to give up seafood gumbo, shrimp jambalaya, shrimp creole, crawfish etoufee, fried oysters, oysters on the halfshell, shrimp poboys, crab cakes, trout meuniere etc., but you don't have to. If you like seafood the possibilities are almost endless.

For ethnic food, why not make a meal from mezze at a Middle Eastern restaurant like Lebanese Taverna? They have a lot of vegetarian choices. Hummus, baba ganoush, tabbouli, vegetarian stuffed grape leaves, etc. You'd be getting chickpeas, cracked wheat, and rice, which is plenty of protein. Wash it down with a glass of dough (pronounced "duke") (yogurt and sparkling water) if you're partaking of dairy.

There are also vegetarian dishes at Chinese restaurants and Indian restaurants. Vegetarianism is not at all uncommon in Asia.

I would like to appeal to Don and my fellow posters to please refrain from interjecting dissenting thoughts on Lenten practices. Lent is a holy time of year and should be regarded with respect, just as Ramadan etc. should be. There is more to Lent than just giving up meat on Fridays, such as denying other things during the lenten period and fasting. Fasting as in eating not only meatless meals, but light meals or even one meal a day on Fridays. Please do not assume that these meaningful preparations for Easter are taken lightly, or bastardized for the sake of indulging in an Orca platter at the Old Ebbitt.

Can we keep this discussion to food and not ponder or frankly infer that others think of using Lenten Fridays as a thinly veiled excuse to indulge, which is the anithesis in meaning during this 40 day preparation for Easter Sunday.

Thanks all for your consideration.

These Moosewood Ethiopian vegetarian dishes are good (the lentil stew and spicy vegetable stew at this link.)

A friend recommends this vegetable stew recipe.

Do you have ingredients for something like a tuna noodle casserole? Any kind of pasta-veg-cheese casserole would fit your needs.

I don't know if you're okay with eggs if they're in something, but a meatless quiche would work.

This is a crustless quiche I like:

Crustless Quiche

1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed

2 Tbsp. flour

1/2 lb. swiss cheese, diced

3 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

dash ground nutmeg

vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Lay thawed spinach on paper towels. Blot and squeeze the spinach until barely

moist. Set aside.

Combine cheese and flour. Set aside.

Blend eggs and milk. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in spinach and the

cheese-flour mixture.

Pour into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 350F for 55 to 60 minutes, until set.

Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

source: xeney at webtv.net

Hear! Hear!

Can we keep this discussion to food...

My post was intended to find creative, protein-rich, non-meat, ethnic entrees. I'm looking for something out of the ordinary. My request just happens to coincide with Lent.

For example, a while ago zoramargolis posted in the Dinner thread her fava mousse entree. Not knowing how "fava" beans looked, cooked or tasted, I scoured the store for 45 minutes before locating them. Now my mousse may not have been as good as zora's, but I was introduced to a new food and have experimented with favas every since.

If there's a more appropriate thread, then by all means move it. But, as monavano said, as long as the discussion stays focused on food, let it stay.

My other half is Catholic which means that I get lots of sushi during lent.

What are people's favorite fish / sushi and/or vegetarian places in the Alexandria Area?

In my area of Alexandria (Fairfax County Alexandria), for sushi, I've liked Yamazato and Hana Tokyo. I tend to enjoy the fancy, weird, odd rolls at Yamazato more, while I prefer the straight-up sushi/sashimi at Hana Tokyo.

Are they the greatest ever? No, probably not, but I like 'em. Both friendly places and near me. That said, I'm interested to hear others' suggestions.

Someplace in Annapolis is supposedly doing Naval Lent.

I sometimes have navel lint. Went to Jasmine Garden (Rt. 50 and Gallows Rd) with a Korean friend for lunch. He couldn't eat meat so I ordered spicy fish filet (H21 on JNH menu, they also have the dish known as H20 on JNH menu), stir-fried baby bok choy, and seafood pan-fried noodles. At authentic Chinese restaurants, you can find a variety of seafood (crabs, clams, squid, various types of fish -fried, steamed, braised, etc.), whereas most Americanized Chinese joints only serve shrimp. Go to Hong Kong Palace and get the cumin fish - it's fantastic.